YOUR favourite formula one race

mjo

Procrastinating
Contributor
Spain '81, Britain '87, Japan '89, Monaco '92, Donington '93,
Japan '94, Monaco '96, Spa '98, Suzuka '05.

All considered to be classic races, the best of the best. But what's your favourite race, for any particular reason - i.e. the race which sticks in your mind, because you've been there, it's been a championship decider or it has been just crazy.

For me, I would say Germany 2000. For two reasons.
1) The winner, and the way he drove on slicks in the pouring rain
2) The race going from a Mclaren walkover to Rubens winning thanks to a lunatic running down the track.

That race is my no.1 - closely followed by Monaco '96 - 3 finishers, and Monaco '82, for THAT final lap.

(Also, this is my first thread, as I've only just worked out how to start one. Not the fault of CTA, just my ineptitude and uselessness)

Only been watching since 2007... But my favourite was Spa 2008. Those laps towards the end of the GP where Hamilton and Raikkonen were swapping places frantically were really exciting seeing as my sister was screaming for Raikkonen just as I was for Hamilton and in the end Massa lucked into it. Not the result I wanted but the journey there was brilliant. My runner up would have to be Australia 2010 as there was so much good skillful overtaking.

Australia 2010 was brilliant aswell, as was China of the same year.

Shame China didn't go on a for another lap or two, I think we may have had a different McLaren win if it had. I also really enjoyed Spa 2009 with Fisi almost winning if it weren't for KERS and Force India getting their first podium and points.

Britain 1982, simply because I was there. The turbo Brabhams failing, Keke supposed to be on pole but starting from the back, Derek Warwick in the Toleman out braking Pironi's Ferrari into Paddock Hill bend and Lauda winning. Still remember it like it was yesterday.

China 2011 and Spa 2010 and 2008. In fact, a lot of my favourite races were at the beginning of this year and over the past four years Spa has not once failed to deliver. I don't get too nostalgic, me. I've never been as excited about F1 as I am right now. It's never been so good in my opinion.

Silverstone 92. Watched it from Luffield and took part in the track invasion, legging it round the track to stand on the tiered trailer provided for the paps while the champagne was sprayed. Two Brits on the podium.
Nigel at his height, Damon receiving a standing ovation every lap, free smokes from the (hot) Marlboro girls to supplement the free Camels provided by my brother who worked for them, free tickets from same source. Hammering it home with the roof down, celebrating with Flowers Original when I got home.
Oh, the days, the days!

Brazil 2008 and 2009 are up their for me!

2008 - for the sheer drama of Lewis Hamilton winning the title on the final corner of the last lap, felt for Felipe though but was mightly releved for Lewis after 2007 heart break. Race had so many twists and turns it was so good.

2009 - Might not of been a classic, but this is the race when i finally found a love for Jenson Button, he was passing cars for positions to win his title. Was so happy for him and it was the second Brit on the trout to win the WDC.

It would for me have to be Brazil in 2008. I was on pins and needles throughout the entire race, and towards the end felt that Lewis had it in the bag. The forecasters towards the end called for more rain, and when it came my nerves were about shot to hell. After Hamilton lost 5th place to Sebastian, I really thought the 2008 WDC was gone. Lewis though showed in that last lap the true heart of a champion, because he never gave up, and just kept pushing, and if he hadn't.....Lewis would have lost the 2008 WDC.....For Lewis to win the championship at the last race, on the last lap, in the last corner is something that I will never forget!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLo2NcBdKNI&feature=related

Hungary '97 - Damon showing that he still had it ('til the last lap :disappointed:)
Spa '98 - Damon again, first for qualifying P3 in a car that hadn't really troubled the front all year, and then for nailing the restart after that crash. EJ skipping through the paddock after the finish still makes me chuckle too.
France '99 - lots of overtaking, and Mike Gascoyne's quick-thinking to brim Frentzen at his only stop to nick the win from Mika
Hockenheim '04 - Jenson drives one-handed through the field to finish 2nd after an engine penalty (I still reckon he could've won that race if he'd started near the front)
Hungary '06 - the long wait was finally over! JB had Alonso beat even without the rogue Renault wheelnut...
Indianopolis '07 - Lewis puts the manners on Fernando for the second time in a week
Brazil '08 - who couldn't love that race?
Australia '09 - Brawn, Rubens & Jenson make the rest look silly
Brazil '09 - the drive of a champion, literally. Talk about making me sweat though...
Australia '10 - who said it was "Lewis's team?"
China '10 - was in a hotel in Holland on my way back from Sweden after being stranded by the Icelandic Volcano, and had to watch this one on RTL. Even I couldn't believe he'd won a second race before Lewis. Made the whole inconvenient trip brilliant for me!
China '11 - Lewis at his imperious best
Canada '11 - Best. Race. Ever.

:thankyou:

Mine change a lot.

1. 1982 British GP - the first race I ever went to was an excellent one (see FB's comment above)
2. 1986 Monaco GP - the best performance by a driver I've ever had the fortune to witness
3. 2000 Japanese GP - the two best drivers of their generation pushing at 100% for the entire race with the title on the line
4. 2005 Japanese GP - frantic action throughout and great performances by Raikkonen and Alonso
5. 2008 Brazilian GP - just about the most dramatic race there could ever be!

But there are lots more just off the top of my head; Japan '89 & '94, Belgium '95, Jerez '97, Silverstone '03, Imola '05, Canada this year

Aswell as my earlier choice,
Brazil 2008, cuz it was my first
2000 Japan, Great race
1998 Hungary, strategy
1992 Monaco, Defensive
2006 interlagos Schumi's last
2010 abu dhabi, I did everything so i couldn'y be interupted
2010 spa, Hammy
2010 Japan, Kamui and Schumi vs Rosberg and i woke up at 6 to watch it!
2011 Australia, woke up early for race and qually
the rest of the 2011 season because I watched it, all
and more, wow that dragged on!

i have been watching since 2010 so mine are fairly recent.
1 canada 2011
2 china 2011
3 belgium 2010
4 germany 2011
5 australia 2010

There is a wealth of options, but there has to be these:
  • 1999 Canadian Grand Prix
  • 1999 European Grand Prix
  • 2003 Brazilian Grand Prix
  • 2006 Hungarian Grand Prix
  • 2008 Canadian Grand Prix
  • 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix
  • 2011 Chinese Grand Prix
  • 2011 Canadian Grand Prix
But I think the award has to go to 2003 in Brazil.

Hungary '97 - Damon showing that he still had it ('til the last lap :disappointed:)
Spa '98 - Damon again, first for qualifying P3 in a car that hadn't really troubled the front all year, and then for nailing the restart after that crash. EJ skipping through the paddock after the finish still makes me chuckle too.
France '99 - lots of overtaking, and Mike Gascoyne's quick-thinking to brim Frentzen at his only stop to nick the win from Mika
Hockenheim '04 - Jenson drives one-handed through the field to finish 2nd after an engine penalty (I still reckon he could've won that race if he'd started near the front)
Hungary '06 - the long wait was finally over! JB had Alonso beat even without the rogue Renault wheelnut...
Indianopolis '07 - Lewis puts the manners on Fernando for the second time in a week
Brazil '08 - who couldn't love that race?
Australia '09 - Brawn, Rubens & Jenson make the rest look silly
Brazil '09 - the drive of a champion, literally. Talk about making me sweat though...
Australia '10 - who said it was "Lewis's team?"
China '10 - was in a hotel in Holland on my way back from Sweden after being stranded by the Icelandic Volcano, and had to watch this one on RTL. Even I couldn't believe he'd won a second race before Lewis. Made the whole inconvenient trip brilliant for me!
China '11 - Lewis at his imperious best
Canada '11 - Best. Race. Ever.

:thankyou:
^Yeah, those^ :D

Oh and also Spa 2000 - Simply as I was there and what a final few laps..
Australia '10 - who said it was "Lewis's team?" - I was also there.. What a fantastic day, followed by a Simple Minds concert in the warm evening rain.. :1st:

1968 British GP. The duel between Siffert and Amon, two of my all-time favourite drivers, was amazing.

1970 Monaco. Just seeing "Black Jack" Brabham have such an obvious case of brain fade following Rindt's epic pursuit was unforgettable.

1969 Spanish race- the Hill and Rindt crashes (fortunately injury free), the subsequent domination ofthe race by Amon whose Ferrari once again broke.

Back
Top Bottom