Your best F1 race ever?

I was just intrigued as to what CTA members would consider the best race ever?

It could be an epic drive from the back of the grid, a 50 lap battle for the top step, a supreme drive in a mediocre car. Any era, any drivers.

What do you the viewer, spectator, supporter consider the greatest race over all?

I'll just park this here for consideration.

That is such a huge question Speshal I'm going to have to think about that one, probably a lot. I suppose it depends on what you measure it on, we're all going to have different views on it due to who you support or not.

just off the top of head I would say the greatest race is very different to greatest drive, for me Speshal hit nail on the head Canadian gp 2011 is the best for me. it had everything we had the drama of 1st part all the funny bits of red flag period with brundle & coulthard running out of things to say ended up talking about rihanna & some red tailed bird. then the tension as could button get from 4th to 1st in 5 laps despite being so much quicker. I always say I haven't jumped up & punched the air since button made that overtake. it is iconic

but the greatest drives you've got senna donington 93 or lewis Britain 2008

Last edited:
1967 Italian GP

Clark had a puncture. Had to pit (pitstops were the kiss of death back then), comes out a lap down, fights through the field (which contained Jackie Stewart, Jack Brabham, John Surtees, Denny Hulme, Bruce McLaren, Dan Gurney, Graham Hill etc, hardly like today's grids), leads until the last lap when his fuel pump went bad and Surtees went past to win.

I can't single out a single race

1979 France
1981 Spain
1982 San Marino

you're right if you've sensed a theme in my choice, Gilles Villeneuve (who I rate as the gretest driver ever)

after that there have been many interesting races, I can't remember them all, no other race ever touched me so much as those 3 races that I have mentioned above

Unfortunately great drivers don't run into the rear of other drivers unless it's a start line accident, I can think of three that did that and two of them were career ending accidents and the third continued to have the same accident throughout his career, some never learn some don't get a second chance. GV and Didier Peroni were the first two and MS was the third, safer cars befriend kamikaze drivers.

Okay for very personal reasons, I'm going to say Hungary 1997. I am sure a lot of others will scratch their heads and wonder why, but as I say for personal reasons that is probably one of my favourites of all time.

Take you mean Damon dragging a well handling car made of second hand parts and held together with duct tape and sealing wax nearly winning:)

Actually, no. I enjoyed it so much because Villeneuve beat him to the win in the way he did. At the time I was a Villeneuve fan, my then husband (now ex husband) was a Hill fan and things had happened that made me happy the result was as it was on that day. As I say it's for very personal reasons but there you go.

For me F1Brits_90

2011 Canada - simply ridiculous how Button won in the end and watching Vettel spin made me even more memorable . I remember it took 4 hours to finish or so. I too went bonkers when Button took the lead when Vettel spun.. it sort of wipe the smile of Seb and the smugness in the Red Bull garage

2009 - Button becomes world champion

Whilst I enjoyed Mansell's wins in

1991 Barcelona
1989 Hungary

Both including great overtakes on Senna, it did not occur how it made him the legend he was for overtaking back then being a kid

For me...

My best F1 race ever would be the 2019 British Grand Prix, because I was there, visited and watched my first ever F1 race for real, not watch it on television or read about it on the Internet. To be actually there and see the cars for real.

That will be my best ever.

For me...

My best F1 race ever would be the 2019 British Grand Prix, because I was there, visited and watched my first ever F1 race for real, not watch it on television or read about it on the Internet. To be actually there and see the cars for real.

That will be my best ever.

yeah you cant beat sport in person. i remember going to BTCC last year & my 1st visit to live motorsport. i finally got the noise part because you cant explain what that noise is like. as it rumbles through you

Back
Top Bottom