Tennis Wimbledon 2013

I don't watch much of the Ladies Tennis because I can't stand the shrieking
Ms Bartoli....looks like reprobate from St. Trinians....
Hoped Lisicki would win .....but it's a walk over.......or is it?
Cmon girl.......

Could the commentators have made it more obvious that they wanted Lisicki to win once Bartoli won the match? The reaction was so downbeat it was ridiculous.

This is the BBC. They're supposed to be imparti.....oh, hang on.

If the women played five sets it could have been a different story. Lisicki had just started to find her feet but it was too little too late.

As for tomorrow, Andy is going to have to really raise his game to have any chance of beating Djokovic; the quality of the Djokovic/Del Potro semi-final was just ridiculous.

I've always wondered by the women don't play five sets- is it tradition or something??

And they get the same prize money too, for very probably less work. How is this justified? Genuine question.

Well I'd like to congratulate Marion Bartoli on winning the 2013 Wimbledon Ladies' Championship. I was rooting for Sabine Lisiki but Marion's emotion at the win was very moving and she was so lovely with her speech. She's tasted defeat before and was wonderfully gobsmacked today.
I very much hope Sabine goes on to win Wimbledon one day.
What a pity they don't give them a full size replica of the trophy, that's a bit miserly.
Now as for tomorrow....sigh....to quote a not very good 80's film - "I can cope with the despair, it's the hope that gets you..."

Really really disapointed by the womens final today. Lesicki showed her talents way too late. She could of had that final. But just like Murray she seems to need to get Geed up to play her best. Really gutted for her she should of won. I really like her hope she takes this experience onboard and gets too more finals.

Really hope Murray comes out tomorrow already pumped. If he needs the crowd to get behind him he is going to loose. Djokovic isn't human and he needs to come out ready to destroy a tennis god.

Yeah, I don't think there's any other reason, something lingering from outdated views that women don't have the fitness to last for 5 sets. I think there's also reluctance from the grand slams for 5 set women's matches, it would make scheduling harder I guess. The men only play five sets at grand slams though, they play three sets everywhere else.

The outdated views obviously haven't taken into account the likes of Serena Williams! If the ladies want equal pay then they should play equal matches. Today's tennis players are supremely fit and I think the ladies could manage 5 sets, most of them bounce from the singles competition straight to the doubles anyway. The trouble with 3 sets is there isn't much chance of coming back once the first set is lost. Out of interest how many of the men's matches this tournament turned around after the first two sets were lost? A certain Scotsman wouldn't be in the final if it were 3 sets...
In today's match Sabine was just finding her feet & it was getting very interesting in the 3rd set before it was all over (I did love Marian's reaction at winning though).

100% agree women are fit enough for 5 sets. AND Lesicki had it in 5. Women do Iron man events for god sake. I think fitness is not an issue.

There is also some evidence which suggests that women have more stamina then men. Well, maybe Beryl Burton was an exception but at the longest cycle time trials she could beat the top men riders.

I think just the woman's final at Grand Slams should be a best of three match. The rest is ok the way it is...

Yeah that might work. I think the trend in sport is to move towards shorter formats though, so if anything TV companies etc. will be putting pressure on for the men to play only 3 sets rather than the women playing 5. I don't see that happening any time soon though because the quality of the matches amongst the top few men is just insane.

Andy Murray .......Scotland the BRAVE.........YOU DID IT........Wimbledon Champion brilliant performance:1st:
Thank-you...from all us Brits.......:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Back
Top Bottom