Poll Williams Next Season

Who should drive for Williams next season?

• Total voters
When you think what Kimi had i.e. most highly paid and arguably the most coveted seat and he threw it all away for what exactly? Now all his hopes hang on a drive for Williams! Much as I'd love to see both return to former glory isn't it a sad state of affairs?

Its end of the line for Rubens.

Williams like Renault need a major overhaul and think who they can have a future team leader... so not Rubens and not Pastor

If Kimi is really up for it he could move Williams forward but Sutil has a huge point to prove.

Having Renault engines will help....

A dark horse for the seat no one has mentioned ROman Grosjean

I think Raikkonen and Sutil should drive next season, but I think it will more likely be Raikkonen and Maldonado driving.

The Williams-Renault FW34 (not my pic but quite cool).

williamsrenault.jpg

I remember Martin Whitmarsh saying it was because of Rallying, Ferrari let him Rally, McLaren didn't want him too as they never have.
You are right. Whitmarsh said that during the weekend of the first GP of 2010. It was in this interview:
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news/2010/03/Whitmarsh_Bin_ein_grosser_Fan_von_Kimi_10031229.html

Frage: "Wie realistisch war eine Rückkehr von Kimi Räikkönen?"
Whitmarsh: "Ich gebe ehrlich zu, dass ich ein großer Fan von Kimi bin. Es war knapp, aber es hat nicht geklappt. Wir haben es versucht, denn gemeinsam mit Kimi haben wir noch eine Rechnung offen. Er ist superschnell, aufregend. Ich mag seine Ehrlichkeit und seine Art, aber er hat dieses Faible für den Rallyesport und das könnte die Entscheidung beeinflusst haben."
Home-made translation:
Question: "How realistic was a return of Kimi Räikkönen?"
Whitmarsh: "I admit sincerely, that I am a bit Kimi fan. It was close, but it didn't work. We tried it since we still have a doubt with Kimi. He is super fast, exciting. I like his sincerity and his character, but he has this soft spot for rallying and that could have had an influence in the decision."

Another WRC season?

He said this weekend, it is perfectly possible. It would not be that strange. Everybody in the WRC scene seem quite convinced he will be rallying part or full time in the future. He is well integrated, he is part of the gang, he says he enjoys it, he is a fast driver (never mind what certain press say, for a driver of his experience he IS fast as this weekend showed. He is as fast as the next big thing: Ott Tänak) and he is improving.

It's pretty understandable that he prefers to go where he gets paid, though.

not that I mean to throw a spanner in the works on this thread but their are rumours that Maldonado's investors are really not happy with the Williams situation and are about to pull out and shove their money elsewhere - in which case Pastor could be out the door.

There are also rumours there have been talks with Jules Bianchi who has signifcant backing and a french nationality to go with those lovely new Renault engines the team are getting. Could all be rumours but watch this space.

not that I mean to throw a spanner in the works on this thread but their are rumours that Maldonado's investors are really not happy with the Williams situation and are about to pull out and shove their money elsewhere - in which case Pastor could be out the door.

There are also rumours there have been talks with Jules Bianchi who has signifcant backing and a french nationality to go with those lovely new Renault engines the team are getting. Could all be rumours but watch this space.

Perhaps that's why Williams are chasing Raikkonen now? By demonstrating to PDVSA that they still have the intent to get back up the grid and therefore tempt them to keep paying for Maldonado?

Hope those rumours are true, but as he's part of the Ferrari drivers academy I would've thought he'd make it to F1 in a Ferrari powered car.

Hope those rumours are true, but as he's part of the Ferrari drivers academy I would've thought he'd make it to F1 in a Ferrari powered car.

Maybe so but with one of those Ferrari powered teams being Red Bull's junior team and the other being completely full I'd have thought Williams would make a nice starter team for a bloke who's just finished 2nd in GP2 and chomping at the bit to get in F1.

Lets not forget 1st and 2nd in GP2 have made it into F1 every year bar 1.

on top of which if you were Ferrari and knew Massa was on his way out wouldn't you want 2 of your acadamy drivers in F1 next year in order to give you the option. Perez looks the safe bet now but what if he has an awful season next year? leaves Ferrari a bit stuck.

Maybe so but with one of those Ferrari powered teams being Red Bull's junior team and the other being completely full I'd have thought Williams would make a nice starter team for a bloke who's just finished 2nd in GP2 and chomping at the bit to get in F1.

Lets not forget 1st and 2nd in GP2 have made it into F1 every year bar 1.

on top of which if you were Ferrari and knew Massa was on his way out wouldn't you want 2 of your acadamy drivers in F1 next year in order to give you the option. Perez looks the safe bet now but what if he has an awful season next year? leaves Ferrari a bit stuck.

Which is why I am saying Roman Grosjean since Williams continue to field GP2 champions trend

In days or yore I think we'd have seen Frank and the boys take a gamble on this fella http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valtteri_Bottas - their current test driver and seemingly a proper prospect. Unfourtunatly Williams need someone with a bit of money behind them as we know.

Which is why I am saying Roman Grosjean since Williams continue to field GP2 champions trend

I see where you're going but with Senna's form I reckon Grosjean will end up in the Lotus

In days or yore I think we'd have seen Frank and the boys take a gamble on this fella http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valtteri_Bottas - their current test driver and seemingly a proper prospect. Unfourtunatly Williams need someone with a bit of money behind them as we know.

I see where you're going but with Senna's form I reckon Grosjean will end up in the Lotus
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruno will stay because of his name .. a Senna in a Lotus Renault which I am sure will come with more money

Grosjean despite Bouillier's best efforts I think go elsewhere

BUT then maybe we will see "Senna" in a Williams Renault like his uncle...

I'd like to see Kimi & Adrian, what I think we'll get is whoever brings in the biggest amount of money/costs less so probably Maldonado/Sutil.
More than drivers Williams need a new generation Newey to build a car to challenge the front runners and then plenty of talent will be queuing for the seats.

Williams ' dominance much like Lotus has been built on the car not the driver like Mclaren with Prost then Senna or Ferrari with Schumacher

I only agree with half what you say there...
The Ferrari and McLarens were also great cars and it has always been so.
The best car gets the best drivers and when the two factors meet they nearly always end up with championships.

So yes... Williams need to make a leap of imagination (as much as the rules allow) to make a great car. They almost had it with the last major set of rule changes (double diffuser) but lacked development money and a poor driver line-up. There only mid-term hope is to make a noticable improvement next year and hope they can steal a march on the other teams with the next major rule changes in 2013.

Back
Top Bottom