Will the real Michael Schumacher please stand up!

I watched the BBC highlights of Canada '79 before the race yesterday, they had interviews with Niki Lauda and James Hunt (both recently retired) and they both said some very interesting things about established, proven drivers racing for teams without the chance of winning. They both, basically said that it can only hurt a drivers reputation, he has nothing to gain (unlike a younger driver who may be able to make a name for himself/out perform team mates etc).

Now, of course, the stakes were somewhat higher in those days but there are a lot of parallels to be drawn with that situation and Schumachers. At the moment he's just tarnishing a legacy that, to some, is only acceptably grubby at best. He either had a vastly inflated opinion of his own abilities (somewhat hard to believe from someone who was so instrumental in one of the best team efforts in F1 history) or he overestimated the quality of the package he was stepping into. It's part of a drivers mentality to believe that he's the best and Schumi will be rationalising his 'failure' this season by blaming it on the car (developed before he or Mercedes were involved) rather than any of his shortcomings, by that logic I reckon he'll be prepared to give it one more go next season when the car will be more to his liking.

As annoying and wonky-faced as he is I suspect we'll be having at least another season of his wandering ways, if he's fast it'll add to already interesting rivalries, if he remains slow it's just another distraction from the real contest at the front.

The only way he's gonna win races any time soon is if a freak occurance happens in half wet conditions.

Back
Top Bottom