Who has been your favourite driver and why?..... NOT who was the best!

My favourite was Schumacher; for his commitment and talent, but also for going to Ferrari. I know it was a big payday, and he always said he didn't care about the history, but I think he knew what an impact it would make to bring them back to the front. Currently, I love Kamui Kobayashi. I felt from those first two races for Toyota that he was a special talent. I think his overtaking prowess overshadows his speed and consistency, and ability to implement a strategy. Funny, before the beginning of last season, Stirling Moss said he 'wouldn't be surprised if he was world champion one day-he just has something about him'. I hope he winds up at a top team soon.

Ok - went away and had a good think and realised there is only one answer I can give

Gerhard Berger.

or as he's effectionally known in my family Crashard Banger. My Dad used to watch F1 before I really got into it and I have a vauge memeory of his accident at San Marino in 1989 but I didn't start watching F1 properly until mid 1990. Despite the fact when I started watching F1 I despised Mclaren (blame Senna and Ron Dennis) I always had a soft spot for Berger. Even when he punted Mansell out of the Hungarian GP in 1990 my 9 year old mind concluded he didn't mean it. I think Berger would always be near he top of my list of great drivers who have never won the world championship and I think the reason I supported him so much was that his skills were always neglected. Prost, Senna, Piquet, Mansell when Berger was on form he could beat the lot of them - he just never had the consistancy.

I remember being really excited about the fact he only finished a point behind Senna in the 1992 season and had 2 really good wins that season. I know he won the last race of the season that year and I think he finished 2nd in the 2 before that. Anyways I know I had hopes and dreams that he'd move to Ferrari and that after 2 years of them being in the doldrums they'd get back up to 1990 standards and give Prost and Williams a run for their money. Of course I couldn't be more wrong and he had an awful season.

After that I kind of got distracted away from following him by the whole Schumacher/Hill era but do remember jumping up and down in front of the TV when he won in Germany in 94 and in 97 which was his last season as well as arguing with my friends that Berger was way better than Alesi. I remember taking an instant dislike to Alexander Wurz because he was described as the new Berger for me he was a one off.

Always good humoured and always gave 100% and I think thats why I liked him.

I too am a driver supporter. I started following F1 in 2004 and only knew about Schumacher and supported him till 2006. From 2007 Lewis seemed his natural replacement and supported him till 2009. However in 2009 I started following F1 on BBC and got to know about it much more in depth. Then came Chinese GP and I suddenly noticed a young German bloke called Vettel who got pole despite only have 1 hot lap in Q2 and Q3. I researched a bit and saw his Monza win and read about his personality and senso of humour. Since then I have been a devoted fan of his and am enjoying see him mature and develop into an even better driver. His comments and quotes are just a breath of fresh air. In particular, after Brazil GP when Jake asked him that he is 15 points behind Alonso and its a big mountain to climb he said "Any mountain on this planet has been climbed once or many times" and that just summarised all there is to his attitude and persona.

I have followed F1 almost from birth as a result of my dedicated late grandfather. However by the time I was allowed to form my own opinion the only one was Senna. Not sure how or when but he was instantly the stand out driver. Different, moody, just the best etc etc
After his loss, it was Damon Hill, he stepped up to the plate with class and nobility. The fact that MS was behind Senna when he died, literally and figuratively caused a deep dislike which to be fair was tempered later by some of his ability. However I lost interest soon after Hakinnen disappointingly quit.
In 2007 I heard about a young chap who had gathered a reputation in the lower series and had suddenly been promoted to F1 almost without fanfare. Suspecting a publicity stunt I tentatively crept back in
From the first corner where the kid took on his 2xWC teammate the biggest smile returned to my face and has been there since, even through the disappointments and dnfs

Reminds me of Senna. I remember that Senna had not finished a race that last season, exactly the same type of 'oh no, why?' feelings regularly

So my favourite drivers are Senna, Hill and Hamilton, I also had time for Mika, JV, KR and SV
I don't like the style of Alonso, Prost, Mansell, Button although the latter still has a chance to make good IMHO

Since, as you may have seen, I really started watching in 1999, I always had a soft spot for the actual underdog of that season, Mr. Frentzen.

I think I've always found myself not supporting Ferrari recently, although I like both Kimi and Felipe...

I like all four of the drivers at McLaren and Red Bull and anyone who's ever driven a Sauber bar Jacques Villeneuve (basically) and that includes the BMW days!

By the way, ramilas1, :goodday:

My two choices are Graham Hill and James Hunt. I’ve been thinking on, for what seems to be an age, and still haven’t really reached a conclusion as to who is my all-time favourite!

It’s a given that they were both absolute racers and champions, so I will try to concentrate on their ‘perceived’ personality.

Both were characters and true blue eccentrics, characterised by their charisma, wit and intelligence. Both displayed a ‘joie de vivre’ and gusto that is lacking in the modern-day racer, which is perhaps why they both died in their mid-forties! It could be argued that their personality off the track was even bigger than that behind the wheel.

They both had a life outside the circuit and were interested in other sports and challenges – to them, racing, although a passion, was not the be all and end all and this gave them a wider appeal.

I’m not really doing them justice here, my words are prosaic and lack their flair for life - so what do I want to say, a cliché perhaps, but – they were just larger than life.

My sort of thread Ram - thanks!

Didn't have to think about this for very long. For me it's the best driver never to win a Grand Prix (in my opnion, and there's another thread), Jean-Pierre Jarier. When I started watching F1 Jarier was in a pretty poor Tyrrell but wrote a column for the now defunct Grand Prix International magazine and it helped shape my views and understanding of F1. As I delved more into the history books I realised what a super fast driver Jarier was and, at one time, held the record for most laps lead without a win (might still do).

So BIG UP for JPJ, brilliant driver and I was lucky enough to see him race in 2 GP's in the 80's for one of F1's great minnows, Osella. Unfortunately he crashed out in both races :(

For me the picture says it all. Schumacher. No not ralf you pedantic few Michael! He was the reason I started watching F1 many years ago in 2010! My first race was actually Brazil 2008 and I still like Hammy cuz of my dad and my respect went up after his Ali G comment (I am black and i dont find it racist) and i dislike alonso. The less said the better. I dont think I'm ever going to forget doing everything and just waiting for the Abu dhabi GP only to my dissapointment for schumi to crash out on the 1st lap but I was happy that Alonso didnt win.
Also I like Vettel because i find him funny! And I also like Sergio Perez because of Javier Hernandez (Man United footballer) and Heikki Kovalainen because of his effort for lotus.
I have been on huw selby alot and i discovered a love for senna (also thanks to the top gear documentry) and Japanese drivers and people with weird names e.g Ukyo katayama, takuma sato, kimi raikkonen, jean alesi, gerhard beger, Jean-Pierre Jabouille and one of my favourite, Jos the Boss Jos Verstappen. Also James hunt because of his playboy life style, The british Mansell and Hill, the finn of many words Hakkinen, and Montoya.
Now i like jim clark aswell!
And theres more but I cant remember! Sorry to bore you with my poor knowledge of F1 but I'm trying to impress you even though your now probably laughing.

For me the picture says it all. Schumacher. No not ralf you pedantic few Michael! He was the reason I started watching F1 many years ago in 2010! My first race was actually Brazil 2008 and I still like Hammy cuz of my dad and my respect went up after his Ali G comment (I am black and i dont find it racist) and i dislike alonso. The less said the better. I dont think I'm ever going to forget doing everything and just waiting for the Abu dhabi GP only to my dissapointment for schumi to crash out on the 1st lap but I was happy that Alonso didnt win.
Also I like Vettel because i find him funny! And I also like Sergio Perez because of Javier Hernandez (Man United footballer) and Heikki Kovalainen because of his effort for lotus.
I have been on huw selby alot and i discovered a love for senna (also thanks to the top gear documentry) and Japanese drivers and people with weird names e.g Ukyo katayama, takuma sato, kimi raikkonen, jean alesi, gerhard beger, Jean-Pierre Jabouille and one of my favourite, Jos the Boss Jos Verstappen. Also James hunt because of his playboy life style, The british Mansell and Hill, the finn of many words Hakkinen, and Montoya.
Now i like jim clark aswell!
And theres more but I cant remember! Sorry to bore you with my poor knowledge of F1 but I'm trying to impress you even though your now probably laughing.

All I can see is a bubbling love for the sport!

This is a really diificult question. It could be Clark, for having so much natural talent that he made every situation look easy.

It could be Gurney, whom Clark said was the only driver he ever worried about-unbeatable on his day, and one of the most versatile drivers of all time.

I think I will go with two surprises: Stirling Moss, for coming to Mike Hawthorne's defense and thereby guaranteeing that Mike got the title, rather than Stirling, and the late, great Mike "the bike" Hailwood, for his George Medal-winning actions in saving the life (probably) of Reggazoni!

I also enjoyed watching Montoya race, he was a real firecraker, watching him give Schumacher a lesson in late breaking in only his third race was amazing, he would have won if he wasn't rear ended by Verstappen, some of his interviews were hilarious as well.

Lucking into watching one of the most extraordinary races in F1 (Europe 1999) as my first viewing- there were a few drivers I did sort of feel for (I suppose as much as a five-year old can). It was this guy called Badoer who went out of the race when he was doing really well (Later I found out just about the bad luck Badoer had). When I was little, my mum made sure that she had a regular diatribe about the 'cheat' Michael Schumacher- and how, as a result, Jean Alesi should be my favourite (I can't remember how that linked together!). Of course, my knowledge of F1 was rather primitive- I didn't understand why he never got anywhere near winning!

I remember Brazil 2003 very well, and Fisichella was a favourite for a while. I lost interest for a while (2004-06), and returned to watching F1 in the 2007 Canadian Grand Prix- therefore, Lewis Hamilton became my new favourite. I distinctly remember jiggling my legs Horner-style watching the 2008 title decider- and I really did go from to despair to elation at the final corner. I was also quite amused by the way Nicole Sherzinger seemed to realise Hamilton was the champion before the boffins at McLaren and Ferrari.

It was the return of F1 to the BBC in 2009- with a fair dose of acknowledgement to the classic F1 feature- that got me properly delving into F1 history from about 1980 onwards, although I did try not to be completely ignorant of pre-1980 (Seeing Gilles Villeneuve at Jarama '81 by chance on the Red Button was spectacular). From my meanderings through old races, and acquired books- I began to appreciate Senna more than any other.

Also, I realised that I did have a rather unfortunate knack to appreciate those who never hit the heights their potential deserved. Luca Badoer, Jean Alesi, Pierluigi Martini, Martin Brundle, Gabriele Tarquini and Derek Warwick. Also, certain drivers and teams just annoy the hell out of me: currently Red Bull, and Hispania, and previously Nelson Piquet Sr., Pedro Diniz, Paolo Barilla and Satoru Nakajima.

My favourite drivers are drivers who aren't afraid to go for it, as it were. The exuberant and entertaining drivers, I never really like drivers who were consistent and were effective at getting the results needed for championships. So my favourites are therefore in no particular order:

• Gilles Villeneueve
  • Ayrton Senna
  • Lewis Hamilton
  • Nigel Mansell
  • Juan Pablo Montoya
  • Kamui Kobayashi
I have a soft spot for Jim Clark, Graham and Damon Hill, Sir Stirling Moss, Mika Hakkinen and Rubens.

Don't be silly boss man - we all have to start watching F1 sometime and your passion for it is obvious and have to say from your posting history would never have guessed you such a relatively new watcher! you've obviously embraced the sport!

Welcome to F1 geekdom!

A very tricky one to pin down this (nice thread Ramilas!)

Damon always had my backing (though I never quite forgave him for Monza '96 - thank God Villeneuve didn't score either that day!). I agree that he hung around for a season too long though.

After Damon it was Heinz-Harald Frentzen (even though he ousted Damon at Williams) - I just enjoyed his very dry personality. My favourite quote of his was after winning at Imola in 97: "This win is like oil on my soul". When he moved to Jordan and consistently brought the car home on the podium, I was delighted - even more so when he won twice, and was close to being a title contender until robbed of victory at the Nurburgring by electrical failure.

In '99 though, I first encountered an F3 driver from my home county with an unusual name, who kept dragging an underfunded car to wins & podiums with beautifully smooth performances. When he was given the second WIlliams BMW seat next to Half Schumacher, and put in some stunning performances during the BMW development year, I was cheering him on all the way. After a spate of engine failures, Gerhard Berger said of him that "he uses engine-braking more than Ralf, so we must make him a stronger engine - his way of driving is better" (or words to that effect). I stuck with him through the awful Benetton year, and then he got near the front again in the '02 Renault before being unceremoniously dumped by the vile Briatore. I had to revise my estimation of the BAR team when he joined them to partner Villeneuve, and as he systematically outperformed the baggy Canadian he eventually forced JV's first retirement from F1. 2004 was seen by many as a dull & uninspiring season, but I spent it egging my man on to 10 podium finishes, and being best of the rest behind the Ferraris. When he won his first race in '06 coming from 14th on a wet track at Hungary I could not have been more proud. Then we got the dismal "Earth Cars" of '07 & 08, and yet he still caught the eye with determined drives in the lower midfield. Honda's withdrawal at the end of '08 was devastating news for me - where would my man end up? Then of course came the Phoenix-like Ross Brawn to deliver a beautiful white steed to propel him to a magnificent championship (though he made me sweat for it, the bugger!). I have been amused and exasperated in equal measure by the vitriol hurled his way by the F1 blogging community (I'm looking at you, BBC606!), who see his partnering of "the holy Lewis" as some kind of affront - I am smugly content that really it's because deep-down they all know he's a serious threat to their driving god.

To put it simply - Jenson Button has earned his right to drive the McLaren. He earned it by putting in the hard yards lower down the grid, by being a sportsman and a gentleman, sympathetic to his machinery, and by thinking his way through races.

Graham Hill is my favourite personality, Jenson's my favourite driver.

Damon always had my backing (though I never quite forgave him for Monza '96 - thank God Villeneuve didn't score either that day!). I agree that he hung around for a season too long though.

One of the things we know is that if he'd won at Monza he would then have been unable to take the Championship. Only Schumacher in 2000 and 2003 in the last 20 years has won both the Italian Grand Prix and the World Title!

Back
Top Bottom