When is a rule not a rule?

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
I will never understand this and it happens at least once a season.

While the rear wing has passed FIA scrutineering and all current static tests, the attention being paid to the rear wing led to an unnamed team approaching the governing body to air its concerns.

Following discussions between McLaren and the FIA, the championship leaders have confirmed it will be making revisions to the rear wing of its lower downforce package – the next expected race the package is likely to be used is the Las Vegas Grand Prix.

If the car has passed scrutineering, why do they need to make changes?

If I was McLaren I would push back and tell the FIA to change the rules/testing procedures.

This has been an issue since the early 80's. You can't measure a fixed distance on a moving car.

Having said that. I suppose in the case of rear wing gap reflection you could fix a sensor to the middle of the DRS wing that could measure the reflection possibly

As far as McLaren's response goes, I guess they're scared of greater consequences than a minor tweak to a wing.

when its ajar. oh wait

apparently from what i read. the wing is fine but it was The flap edges were found to bend at high speeds, which violated the regulations.

I seem to recall that flexible wings have been a thing for many years, and it's a great opportunity to see the hypocrisy machine of F1 in full swing again.

The team principles are all doing what I would expect them to do, on one hand finding ways to exploit the rules, and on the other, complaining that other people have done it better than they did!

But, I am a little confused with the actions of the FIA, and the use of video clips, I'm sure that in previous examples with Red Bull, it was obvious, but nothing was done. McLaren employed a flexible system, which was spotted with cameras, and FIA intervened. Seems a little fishy to me, unless I am misreading things!

spot on The Pits as i remember horner being furious about the zeropods. in bahrain testing until they deemed to be terrible & he conveniently stopped talking about them

Brundle had an old joke. that williams could be running an wing like that for years but no one cares if there running 14th but they do if they are 1st

Back
Top Bottom