Gaming What new (Xbox) games are worth considering?

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
I haven't switched my Xbox on for almost 2 years now so I'm a bit out of it as far as games are concerned.

However, there are a few titles coming up which may tempt me back, Skyrim being the main one.

So, on my very short shortlist, this is what I've got so far:
  • Skyrim - Oblivion was one of my favourite games
  • Portal 2 -would rather there was a new Half Life game but Portal was great
  • Battlefield 3 -although I don't like online play much these days due to all the boosting and cheating
  • MW 3 -I gave up on MW 2 as it become too arcadey so if it's the same then it won't be bought
  • GTA V - not if it's anything like GTA IV though
  • Saints Row: The Third - hopefully it's more advanced than the previous offerings
  • Rage - no idea what this is about
  • Borderlands 2 - the first one was excellent so this is a definite
  • Bio Shock Infinite - loved the first one, hated the second one
  • Prototype 2 - first one was great fun, but the bosses were a bit hard/boring to beat requiring hundreds of hits
Any others worth considering?

Rage - think Borderlands with prettier graphics but much less depth and a shorter campaign. A bit disappointing, to be honest, as it ends in a bit of a breathless rush (& the loading times are frankly horrible). Should have been much better than it eventually wound up.
Portal 2 - simply genius, from start to finish

I'll get BF3 & MW3, but that's because I'm an milito-geekboy, and love all that stuff, and I can't wait for Borderlands 2 & Bioshock Infinite. Did you never get into Gears of War? I thought the new one was pretty good.

I may consider Forza, although it can get a bit boring after a while.
I played my first F1 game a few months ago (2010) and hated it so I won't be getting F1 2011.

I played the first GoW and although I liked the SP campaign, I didn't really enjoy online.
Mainly because I arrived late and had no idea what was going on so inevitably I got my arse handed to me within seconds every single game.

Never played any of the Batman games, for some reason they just never interested me.

Depends on what type of game you like. My recents have been :-

GOW3 (not much different from 1 and 2 but I wanted to see the end of the story, felt a little let down as it appears to be a really short finish to the game).

Deus Ex - Loved playing it, in fact the Mrs sat and watched me play it and really got into the story. Last level a little dissapointing, just a run and shoot them unless you have chosen the non-lethal choice from the beginning. No point in playing it again as the best part was the story which I now already know.

F1 2011 - A racing game, not much more than others, just a bit more in depth with the technical aspects if you want it to be.

Rage - Again, felt a little short but enjoyed playing it from start to finish, unless you have about 25gig of hard drive it can be a pain over switching the disks as you move from one area to another. Could have been so much more but astill a good effort :)

Batman - Loved the first one, loving this one though only played it for about 2 hours so far...

I tend to favour sandbox games, hence my favourites are Oblivion, GTA, Saints Row, Borderlands, Prototype, etc.
Even Test Drive Unlimited and Burnout Paradise, as you can pretty much do what you want when you want.

11.11.11 is the day you turn your X-box back on and start playing a new epic...the first one on the list, Skyrim. I'm guessing you'll be switching disks all over the place but I'll just stick to the one blu-ray on my PS3. :p ;)

I've got more than enough space on the drive to load the games and play them from there.

I did consider a PS3 but playing online without comms made it a tad difficult ;)

I've got more than enough space on the drive to load the games and play them from there.

I did consider a PS3 but playing online without comms made it a tad difficult ;)
I use an old Logitech USB headset/mic unit - works fine for online comms for my PS3 (& less interference than bluetooth headsets, according to my mate).

Any bluetooth head set will work with PS3. I got this one free with a game. Works great.
Screen Shot 2011-10-28 at 15.50.02.png

I lost a about 2 months of my life earlier this year first playing Infamous on PS3 then Infamous 2, couldn't stop playing it. Fantastic games, but PS3 only I think.

Deus Ex - Loved playing it, in fact the Mrs sat and watched me play it and really got into the story. Last level a little dissapointing, just a run and shoot them unless you have chosen the non-lethal choice from the beginning. No point in playing it again as the best part was the story which I now already know.

Is that game good? I really liked the look of it in the advert, but apparently it's a re-make and has had several games out before? Plus I don't want to pay £30-£40 on a game that I will only play once since it doesn't have online.

I just got the Batman Arkham Asylum game, yeah I know a bit late, still need to play it though, so many games out that I can't keep up.

F1 2011 - first game of the new crazy game season
Gears of War 2 & 3 - still playing thorugh the second one just bought it there along with 3!
Forza 4 - To be honest I don't know why I bought this game, just like the last two, not much added, just updated graphics, the same tracks, same boring career, although the AI is a bit more tougher, only a fair few tracks added from what I have seen, and seems to have gone crazy and less user friendly with so much weird stuff added. Still play it though!

Still need to get Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, and the new Batman game...

That's a lot of games!

I would love to get BF3 but that really needs to be played online.

With such limited time though, I would never get the chance and it would just sit collecting dust, as BF2 has.

Got BF3 this weekend - good meaty Single-Player Campaign, that I'm still working through after a decent few hours spent Sat/Sun. Graphics v. nice (if a little dark), gunplay & range of weapons very good as well. Missions have been pretty varied too - urban streetfighting to desert tank warfare, a good nighttime sniper mission & even a dogfight and ground assault in an F18! Beats the snot out of BF:BC2...

Ironically I've just started playing BF2, despite buying it over a year ago.

I'm not a fan of the SP campaigns on FPS though, I much prefer the online play.

Back
Top Bottom