Poll Was Hamilton right to not yield to Rosberg?

Was Hamilton right to not yield to Rosberg?

• Yes

Votes: 59 90.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters
Hmm, Wombcat , I doubt that there's much of a difference in the wake of either car though, particularly as we're not exactly talking about high speed turns at the Hungaroring. Add the fact that when they were battling Nico was on the softer, grippier tyre and one wonders where the problem actually lies. So far, I've only been able to observe Hamilton's defensive position as being the main reason Rosberg couldn't get it done.

Last edited:
Fenderman, I'm not suggesting the wake is different, but that if Rosberg is p.e. 1 sec faster than Lewis that's probably evenly distributed along the circuit. While if he is 1 sec faster than another car, maybe in the first half of the circuit he's 0.75 faster, while on the other half he's 0.25 faster. The 0.75 on one half of the circuit may be enough to have such a speed difference, that it won't be negated by the wake, and thus he is able to come closer and have an overtaking possibility.

Meanwhile I'm also not too impressed with Rosbergs' overtaking possibilities. He seems to be not decisive enough.

During his tussle with Lewis Nico's DRS was conspicuously closed. I thought at first it must be broken, then it occurred to me that Lewis was using all his available tools to keep Nico out of the reach of DRS.

Nico is a proven and decisive overtaker IMHO.

Last edited:
There is the conjecture that the Mercedes leadership is weak like Christian Horner at Red Bull. In other words neither Paddy Lowe or Toto Wolff have the authority to issue a team order and fully justify it

It is said that Ross Brawn would have stood his ground with his decisions like Malaysia last year which shows the respectability Ross has

All the whingeing seems to coming from Nico about the safety car, and Lewis holding him up and he suddenly thinks the whole world is against him without getting too animated about it

Some say Rosberg has been unable to beat Hamilton in a straight head to head duel... Monaco well you might as well drive a tractor and no one could get by

Somewhere I read Lewis was given the less favorable tires for his last stint, don't know if true but that may have been relevant to fight Rosberg back ...

"Curse you for going quicker than me so that I can't beat you!!!" FFS, what is F1 coming to. :givemestrength:

No no I didn't mean that, I think there is a difference between defending (e.g using the overtake button) and not slowing down. I still don't think Hamilton was wrong but if he deliberately kept Nico behind I think we can safely assume he had no intention of ever letting past with ease, even if he got to his gearbox. He intended to keep him behind because he knew what would happen at the end.

I understand, but IMO the simple reality is that Rosberg was never anywhere near Hamilton's gearbox (at least in the 10/100ths of seconds that are pertinent in racing terms) so it's moot. It would be perfectly reasonable for Rosberg to complain if Hamilton was actively (or passively) delaying him, but Rosberg never got into an overtaking position with Hamilton why on Earth should it be given to him on a plate? The first call I heard to Hamilton from Merc was not to block Rosberg as he was on a different strategy. IMO that's a perfectly reasonable request/order/whatever, as long as there's the implication that the following person is actually quicker. As Rosberg couldn't catch Hamilton - and therefore wasn't slowed by him - the subsequent order that Hamilton should step aside and not only let Rosberg through but assist Rosberg in doing it as Rosberg couldn't do it himself, is a complete and utter pile of the smelly stuff. It's supposition on everyone's part as to what would have happened had Rosberg actually caught Hamilton, perhaps that would have been the real talk of the race! ;)

In the post-race interview it seemed to me that Rosberg was most angry/depressed/your-emotion-of-choice about being unable to pass Hamilton despite having the better rubber, stating that the way Hamilton defended was OK and that it was his job to find a way around and he couldn't. At the end of the day this should have been an easy victory for Rosberg and it's very easy to argue that he was robbed by the safety car, but that's motor racing and fair doesn't always come into it, a la mechanical failures both Rosberg and Hamilton have suffered. As it is, Rosberg's still in the lead of the WDC, in the best team on the grid, and if he wins the WDC on the road I'll personally be applauding him as it'll be very well deserved.

I think he was pissed at not being able to get him in the final stages and quite rightly so (although Alonso showed us how it's done and Lewis had plenty of observation opportunity). At said incident I dont think Nico thought he had to make an effort, Lewis (rightly) did.

"This is how a racing driver does it." Ooof, a punch in the stomach for Nico. I know what he means, but a little unfair.

Back
Top Bottom