Poll Was Hamilton right to not yield to Rosberg?

Was Hamilton right to not yield to Rosberg?

• Yes

Votes: 59 90.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters
What I would like to know during these pre-race meeting's, who makes the decision regarding what tires are to be used during the course of a race? Lewis had 2 sets of fresh un-used soft tires availabe, but on his last pit stop is fitted with the slower medium tire, which at end of it's run can be easily chased down.

The idea is that the two Mercedes are supposed to come together at the end of the race with one ahead on the slower tyre and the other behind on the fresher quicker tyre. What Mercedes completely failed to factor into their Hungarian race strategy revisions was the fact that there were other drivers on the track, who actually intended to win the race and not just finish third. When Mercedes realized that they were in danger of not winning, the shit hit the fan and, in Niki Lauda's word they "panicked".

Lewis actually had three sets of fresh un-used soft tyres available.

Last edited:
Let me qualify my previous post...

The dominant race strategy is to win the race at the slowest possible speed. What Mercedes plan to do is win the race and come second at the slowest possible speed. They contrive to have their two drivers "race each other" within the bounds of this zeitgeist. The problem with any over arching strategy is that it makes one rigid and inflexible. Mercedes mean well but are very misguided in their approach to motor racing in 2014.

ATL11 I personally don't subscribe to the "conspiracy theory", unfortunately favouring the driver who gets pole position with deciding his own and his team mate's strategy is a highly defective policy. It will lead to failed strategies, lost wins and will often give the illusion of a conspiracy to favour a single driver over the course of a season.

Last edited:
ATL11 I personally don't subscribe to the "conspiracy theory", unfortunately favouring the driver who gets pole position with deciding his own and his team mate's strategy is a highly defective policy. It will lead to failed strategies, lost wins and will often give the illusion of a conspiracy to favour a single driver over the course of a season.
To me Lauda's use of the word "panic" is interesting. There are many more less emotional words that he could have used to say that they had got it wrong. I wonder if there are any cracks in the Merc leadership team.

Oh I don't think there is a conspiracy theory and I think that's where as Mezzer has highlighted, Lauda used the quote "Panic"! It may not have been a panic like instruction initially to Lewis, but what happened after that showed a 'panic' like state in Mercedes, when they realised what they had done, with the World watching. Then went in to PR overdrive to defuse the issue, which showed even more Panic.

Okay let me reword it:

I believe Mercedes untentionally shot themselves in the foot with the Team Orders & this has given others ammunition in highlighting what could be seen as a favourite driver.

As for Christian Horner stepping in with his view on Team orders and favorite drivers, it is a little:
KettleCallingPotBlack%255B1%255D.jpg

Last edited:
Methinks Lewis knew well enough that he had the measure of Nico. Would he have moved over had Nico got close enough? Hmm, I suspect not. In fact his positioning of his car and little jink when Nico made his last gasp attack showed that he knew exactly where Nico was and what he would try to do. That was a supremely artful defense.

Unfortunately, one drawback for the team in those final laps was that Lewis had to split his attention between attacking Fernando and defending against Nico. Any experienced racer will tell you that squabbling over a place will slow all those involved in it. The best tactic for the team would have been to ensure that Nico was not a threat to Lewis whilst he was in with a chance of getting into DRS range of Alonso. It was noticeable that Alonso managed to grab back a few tenths here and there as Lewis had to position his car defensively.

Further, there was a brief spell in the commentary when Brundle grumbled about Hamilton losing some time. A minute or so prior to that a brief moment was caught on camera of the group catching some back-markers. Martin and Crofty failed to notice that Alonso was just clearing them cleanly at the end of the straight but Lewis and Nico were probably compromised as they caught the traffic in the corners. It may be, that while fending off Rosberg, had Lewis not lost a couple of crucial tenths on Alonso he might have been able to close in, follow him more cleanly through the back markers and to continue to press. Without a report from someone track side, though, I admit I'm speculating somewhat. Nevertheless, putting Hamilton on the slower tyre and then compromising his attack on Alonso was not the smartest move on Mercedes part. I suspect, or at least hope, that they will not make that mistake again.

One very good thing (apart from a great race, that is) that has come out of this, is that Hamilton is showing that he is at last sticking up for his own interests on track. that was something that he seemed not to do at MacLaren. All too often his strategies and direction were dictated by MacLaren's mission control. If Mercedes can get the balance right, and stop this contra-strategy bollocks, then we should see a fairer fight between their drivers for the title and the cream should rise to the top. If Merc' don't achieve that the cream at the top may actually turn out to be a tad sour.

Last edited:
I've read in a few places suggestions that Hamilton not slowing to let Rosberg through in some way stopped Rosberg from winning. Rosberg couldn't catch Hamilton during the pertinent period so presumably he couldn't have been slowing him down, what am I missing? is the suggestion that Rosberg was running close enough to be affected by the wash from Hamilton while still being far enough away that he couldn't make any attempt at overtaking?

Supposedly, Merc-AMG had a team meeting on Monday to clear the air. Id have to loved to be in the room for that meeting. If nothing else, its going to make for an interesting season, especially if this fight between Nico and Lewis gets even more bitter. Hopefully Red Bull, Ferrari and Williams (McLaren, Lotus and even Sahara Force India seem lost for this season) can get their act together and challenge Merc-AMG in the 2nd half of the season.

Different car with different characteristics, and probably overall slower. So he will be more able to close up than with a car that has a similar setup.

Back
Top Bottom