Vettel's 20 on-track overtakes

Pretty much reinforces my earlier statement about the quality of the opposition been overtaken. The lap data is also pretty decisive too. Without the other driver incidents Vettel would have struggled to break double figure points.

This chart is taken from the FIA website, I used this one because it shows where the accidents were.

Abu Dhabi 2012.jpg

As we can see, from lap 14 when Vettel was back in last position (albeit now 21st) he gained 1 position on lap 19 from Hamilton's breakdown and one position from Massa’s spin with Webber on lap 25. Webber stayed ahead of Vettel when he spun but we know he’d have let him past but was pitted out the way anyway. Maldonado also had a KERS failure so was falling back too.

The other incidents (unless I’ve missed one) happened behind him.

The chart actually shows just how many he jumped in the pit stops!

With Sebastian Vettel anything is a criticism, isn't it?

He came to the back of the top drivers in their pit window. At the rate he was catching them, does anyone seriously think he wouldn't have passed all the drivers he was behind if he'd had the chance?

So it is! Have to admit I didn’t actually tally up how many he jumped in the stops, just glanced. Guess he actually overtook more than I thought.

I read that Lewis has said Vettel was very lucky to get on the podium starting from the pit lane he said he was the luckiest driver on the grid, now I don't know if that is sour grapes because Vettel is on for his third title or media hype...

One thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is that Mark Webber's crash directly played into the hands of Vettel, as it immediately eliminated the gap between Vettel and JB that had been caused by his second stop, and on new, soft, tyres, it was never going to be easy for the McLaren to keep him behind.... Now, if it was Briatore in charge of Red Bull, people might have jumped to conclusions by now!

If Webber had been the instigator of the crash then yes indeed conclusions could have been jumped to. It was a combination of Perez and Di Resta having fun on and off the circuit which sent Grosjean hurtling into Webber!

Back
Top Bottom