Vettel in Bahrain - Short of fuel?

Muddytalker said:
And [Nitpicking] Did Vettel not win Abu Dhabi from 2nd on the grid? [/Nitpicking]

Indeed he did. Whether he would have done so if Hamilton's car was working is another question.
The answer is no.
He had effective pole because of the McLaren failure.

You're right, he did! I'd forgotten about that, but then that's how prejudice works. :)

Not sure how he could pull off "no one asks for his opinion any more" with a respectful smile on his face, though.

Plus, he's only ever won a race from the front row of the grid!

genji said:
Not sure how he could pull off "no one asks for his opinion any more" with a respectful smile on his face, though.

No-one asks for his opinion? So you're saying Ron went to search out a journo and told him his opinion, and the journo thought, "Hey wasn't that Ron Dennis? I'll print what he said!"

THINK IT THROUGH!

I have a feeling you've misunderstood genji.

I think genji's saying that he doesn't understand how Vettel could pull off "no one asks for his opinion any more" with a respectful smile on his face.

teabagyokel said:
No-one asks for his opinion? So you're saying Ron went to search out a journo and told him his opinion, and the journo thought, "Hey wasn't that Ron Dennis? I'll print what he said!"

THINK IT THROUGH!
I rather think that's what Vettel was saying - there or thereabouts. :)

I was just being mischievous. :p

Christian Horner's continuing with the insults.
This from today's press conference:

Christian, I was very surprised last week by learning from Ron Dennis about your real problems in the race in Bahrain with Sebastian. He said your tank is simply too small.

CH: I guess the problem with age is that your hearing tends to fail you a little bit and perhaps Ron didn’t hear the misfire that was there and probably didn’t see the fact that the other car also finished the race without any issues at all. It wasn’t anything to do with the size of the fuel tank. As I say it was a spark plug issue and that was it.

Brogan said:
Christian Horner's continuing with the insults.
This from today's press conference:

Christian, I was very surprised last week by learning from Ron Dennis about your real problems in the race in Bahrain with Sebastian. He said your tank is simply too small.

CH: I guess the problem with age is that your hearing tends to fail you a little bit and perhaps Ron didn’t hear the misfire that was there and probably didn’t see the fact that the other car also finished the race without any issues at all. It wasn’t anything to do with the size of the fuel tank. As I say it was a spark plug issue and that was it.

Now i'm no expert but wouldn't the fact that webber's inability to pass the slow train in front mean that he just sat there trundling round short shifting and picking up a bit of a tow here & there actually enhance his fuel economy?

That said i got the feeling Ron was being the consumate company man and defended the ECU (a Maclaren product) before horner could :censored: about that as well. I'd be interested to know if a software programme exists in it that would lean out the engine to that extent though.

I find this whole thing a little bizzare.

The RedBull sounded dodgy in Bahrain, which a lack of fuel would not cause unless the engine was on the verge of conking out. I don't see Why Ron dennis has got involved McLaren have got nothing to with this, I don't see where ECU's come into this, That wouldn't really cause an unusual noise from the engine if it was forcing the engine to use a certain fuel mileage to get to the finish like MotoGP of instance. I don't see why Horner has really had to relpy to Ron so strongly.

Is it just me or is it a storm in a tea cup born out of tit for tat stuff, from people who should start acting there age a little.

Or am i missing something completely.

Hmm... it's starting to swing back to Horner:

As the mystery of Sebastian Vettel's spark plug problem in Bahrain persists this weekend, Fabrice Lom - who is the Renault man in charge of Red Bull's engine programme - admitted the French marque "let Red Bull down at the last race with engine problems on both cars". As for the "both cars" remark, it is believed he is referring to Mark Webber's smoky moment at the start of the 2010 season opener.

Brogan said:
I thought that was just an oil overfill?
It was a hell of a lot of smoke for an oil overfill, and excessively thick. There was comment (somewhere, can't remember where) that it caused the incidents behind because of visibility. It behaved like an oil overfill because it burned off pretty quickly, but Webber was stuck behind competitors for the entire race so we don't know what would have happened had he been able to push.

we been there before...

"errrr guys... you do know all the measurements are in inches and not in centimetres. right?"
"yes ve do! but ve do think ze tank looks a wee bit small"

for the team's sake, i really hope it was a technical error.

Back
Top Bottom