Tweaks

We can't ignore that he event on Sunday has to be more entertaining than the event on Saturday,.
Why does it..?

Can't they both be equally as exciting?

I used to love quali bang fast lap, bang fast lap and so and so is on a storming third sector has he got it,,,,, yes by a one hundredth.

I don't pay Sky and by default Bernie X amount of money to watch drivers sitting in the pits or coasting around to save tyres. qualifying should be about the fastest drivers in the quickest cars on earth duking it out for the top spot on the grid nothing more nothing less and it should be very very exciting and after all it is the only time you will see the cars at full tilt....

Well that's what I think anyway....

Mind you I could be talking bollocks again....

Certainly they can both be exciting; however we can't deny that the race is the main event. There is no point in organising an event where the main event is a letdown, especially after selling it all around the world as F1 has done. To not ensure that the main event is the most exciting aspect of the weekend is commercially suicidal - see the viewing figures during the mid-2000's where qualifying may have been extremely exciting, but the races were snoozefests.

Its all about TV ratings isn't it? I remember never ever seeing quali on the TV so no one cared if it was exciting or not. That was back in the traditional one hour Friday, one hour Saturday style with an hours warm up on a Sunday morning. Still not sure why we don't do that now if I'm honest.

Anyone know the answer?

I reckon it'll be something simple or stupid as to add an extra set of options for the qualifying. I still think Q3 time setters will have to start on the same set of tyres their qualified on though :ok:.

Its all about TV ratings isn't it? I remember never ever seeing quali on the TV so no one cared if it was exciting or not. That was back in the traditional one hour Friday, one hour Saturday style with an hours warm up on a Sunday morning. Still not sure why we don't do that now if I'm honest.

Anyone know the answer?

Mainly because of the Parc Ferme rules stating that the cars have to be the same for qualifying and the race.

Back in the era of Sunday practise sessions the cars were built to a qualifying spec then completely rebuilt again for a race setup, the morning practise sessions were there to make sure the cars were set up correctly for the race.

It's all to do with cost saving as well as the general well being of the mechanics, no more all nighters on the Saturday before the race.

There were no cars on the circuit for the first 10 minutes of Q1.

All of the Q3 action took place in just 3 minutes.

There is a problem.

I know how they feel though; put everything in place, with the right incentives, and no-on can be ****ing bothered to even try.

Methinks that was the realisation that an awful lot of people are into F1 enough to want to see as much of it as possible. With F1 cars being mobile bill-boards more exposure for the sponsors has to be a big part of it. I don't know it is just a coincidence that televising qualy in the UK started with ITV taking over the broadcasting from the BBC in the 1990's.

Edit: This was a response to the TV coverage aspect of post by RasputinLives

It's still better than previous qualifying rules which sometimes meant nothing happened for 50 minutes then all hell broke loose for the final 10 minutes.

I've heard it mentioned that the wheel gunmen are having to get physiotherapy on their arms neck and shoulders because of the speed of the modern day pitstops and because of the amount of torque the guns produce and the hundreds of hours of practice they are put through who knows what permanent damage is being done to these guys so I don't think the powers that be care that much about the mechanics welfare...

That's a different subject though....

Back
Top Bottom