Television Top Gear

More 'fully scripted' rather than 'forced goofing.'

I too am less excited than usual about its return.

That said I will still watch it. They do have their moments when they occasionally remember its a car show.

Half the problem with Top Gear is that I'm sure the presenters wouldn't mind doing a bit more with the cars but it's what sells for the Beeb world wide. I read an interesting article on it in one of the papers (broadsheet but can't remember which one) a while back. Because there are a number of programs that make the BBC an absolute fortune in global sales, the direction these shows take will be driven by market demand. Therefore, in the case of Top Gear, if it's felt that fully scripted "goofing" is what makes the show popular on the foreign markets then more of the same please. Mind you, when you take all of the Top Gear out of Top Gear you're left with 5th Gear and Vicki Butler-Henderson <shudders> :nah:

I think that may have been a fraction before my time but not by much. I remember Nick Mason's brother (Roger?), Quentin and Tiff, Jezza and that's about it.

I don't think I watched it when Angela Rippon and Noel Edmonds were on there. I think it was on mid-week on BBC2 but can't be sure.

Panic not mate, I think it's more down to the fact that I didn't watch it back then rather than not being around back then

(I'm 40 by the way ;) )

But isnt't that exactly what it is Mr Sniff? A heavily scripted entertainment show about three blokes goofing around with cars that is one of the BBC's biggest global brands and makes a pot of cash?

Back
Top Bottom