1. If you can see this message then you are on the new server.

The site is now available via a secure URL: https://cliptheapex.com

Dismiss Notice

Television Top Gear

Discussion in 'Apex Lounge' started by cider_and_toast, Jul 29, 2009.

1. MajorDanby

MajorDanby Motorsports' answer to Eric the Eel Contributor

I'd agree that it has got to be a little bit samey, and obviously the challenges planned etc. It still makes me laugh however, and still worth a watch. I was giggling all the way through the episodes with them sliding the Robins.

Saying all this, isn't this the last season that Top Gear will be in its current format? Clarkson, instrumental in the planning of the show obviously agrees with the public consensus, and is changing it accordingly.

2. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Yeah, after the quiet ending with out the usual "and on that bombshell" line, I have to say, the front room of the Cider House did get a little smoky. I can't think of any other reason why my eyes were watering?

Care to share a bit more about you grandfather Spesh. Thanks to my line of work, military history is of huge interest to me.

3. Grizzly

Grizzly Bear Contributor

Also and to back that up some more, i really liked the program on Brunel he did.

The Senna bit of the show was great, even if we have all seen most of that footage before. It was a shame there was little or no sound when Hamilton was driving it, i wanted to hear that unadulterated turbo howl again!

4. Speshal

Speshal World Champion Valued Member

He was called Grandpa Ted Chapman and he was a very funny welshman, didn't talk about it much but I think it was something to do with rescuing a wounded officer under fire after the D-Day landings.

On the other side of the family, my great uncle stormed a pillbox with a bag full of grenades and got an MC

Nutters, my family

5. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

6. Speshal

Speshal World Champion Valued Member

Ha cheers :D - He was just grandpa to me, taught me how to fish, told rambling stories etc wasn't until I was about 16 that I found out he had a VC and only cos I was staying with him and he was off to a comrade's funeral with all his medals on - "Bloody hell pops, what have you got that on for?" - "Mind your language and I got it for marrying your grandmother" LOL

7. Enja

Enja isn't dead. Valued Member

Heads up

Apparently tonight's repeat of yesterday's episode will be the last ever one with most of the footage because FOM are charging Top Gear so much to use it that they won't be able to afford to keep playing it with the FOM-owned footage.

So make sure you record it if you particularly liked it.

8. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

I thought this was amusing :D

[​IMG]

9. MajorDanby

MajorDanby Motorsports' answer to Eric the Eel Contributor

Only just read this thread and realised you'd already posted this pick Brogan, Oops :dunno:

10. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

No worries chap, I wasn't sure which thread to post it in so between us we covered both bases :D

11. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

The early years. LOL

aLQB9PW_460s.jpg

12. F1Yorkshire

F1Yorkshire Avatar for sale to the highest bidder Contributor

Anyone seen the Xmas special yet? I know they stage a lot of their stunts but that looked properly scary especially for the crew.

cider_and_toast likes this.
  13. cider_and_toast

I laughed a lot. It was quite good I thought. I especially (of course) love the Esprit so to see it do so well raised a smile. This was especially so as my Mrs hates the car. It will be interesting to see how it all gets ugly next week.

14. The Pits

The Pits Harumph. Again. Valued Member

It all got ugly last night cider_and_toast , did you miss it? the one part of top gear that I do not think was scripted at all!

15. cider_and_toast

Oh crap. Missed if :(

16. The Pits

The Pits Harumph. Again. Valued Member

No worries, no doubt it will be repeated ad nauseum

17. F1Yorkshire

F1Yorkshire Avatar for sale to the highest bidder Contributor

cider_and_toast likes this.
  18. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

This one was as good as usual. But the crew had a fairly harrowing journey back into Chile. I've re-watched quite a few of the others over Christmas on Dave, as the rest of the TV schedules have been bleak. I've laughed through most of them, but they are a bit predictable.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  19. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan. Contributor

I actually enjoyed it; it was as assinine as all the others and my thought is now that either they really had not noticed/worked out the VRN coincidence (not entirely convinced that all involved hadn't worked this out) or (more likely) it was an easter egg that was meant to be a little chuckle which escalated beyond their intention.

20. rufus_mcdufus

rufus_mcdufus Champion Elect

I didn't enjoy this special much. I felt they really toned down the humour in the editing and felt like they were trying their hardest not to cause controversy. I was laughing a bit more in the second half. A lot of it just seemed stupid - there are major roads they could've used but obviously that would've been rather dull. The trouble at the end was a bit too exciting though! It has all the fingerprints of Argentina's stupid government all over it.
    I stayed at the hotel they were in in Ushaia about 16 years ago and didn't feel any animosity around the town then. I was with a party of Americans though so that might've helped.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice