Television Top Gear

In most work settings, you wouldn't have received warnings for such boorish behavior, you would have been sacked at the first occurrence.

I'm my own boss so that won't work but over the years, I have had similar experiences. I have had very good staff members be disrespectful to me and I didn't fire them over it because they were still an asset to my company. And last year one valuable staff member slapped another across the face and I sat them down and we talked about it and now those two have no problem with each other and I didn't have to lose any good employees. Several years ago a supervisor I had previous trouble with grabbed a staff member by the throat and that gave me the perfect excuse to fire him, but it was because he was no longer an asset to the company. My point is that Jeremy may be a hot head but he's still an asset to the BBC and more effort should be made to work things out. He had previous conflict with that producer and let's face it, TG could operate perfectly with another producer so he should have been moved to another show. Jeremy could have been forced to publicly apologize or pay a fine or whatever but getting rid of him was not smart from a business sense.

And I have to politely disagree that this has nothing to do with political correctness or being sissies. For hundreds of thousands of years, the threat of violence has kept the peace between men and sometimes that peace is broken and blood is spilled. The possibility of being punched in the nose has kept people from being idiots one to another but now that's all gone, people do and say incredibly rude things to each other on forums, over Twitter and Facebook and feel no danger of being "taken to task" by the people they offend. To be clear, I'm not an advocate of violence but I think if this incident happened in 1965, things would have been handled very differently.

I just think that in the past, two grown men getting into a scuffle would have resulted in an apology and a handshake instead of the uproar and loss of millions of dollars that this thing has ballooned into.

The big question - should an F1 driver be permanently excluded if he takes a swing at another driver? Michael Schumacher for one got a bit pushy I seem to remember.

Sutil put a glass to someone's throat and he managed to stay in F1, still bloody is an' all.

Eric Cantona used to kick people in the head for a pastime and he's just about to make a film about synchronised swimming.

The worlds gone mad I tell ya...

Last edited:
The Sutil case is a different issue entirely when compared to Piquet's little moment. I think Rufus was referring to on-track incidents.

I have been going off Top gear for a few series now.

The features are so obviously staged that they are pointless and the more "serious" items are ruined by their inane desire to criticise everything within an inch of its life.

The biggest problem I have though is Jeremy Clarkson.
He has turned into some kind of parody the way he insults everyone and everything.

It wouldn't be so bad if there was just 1 of him but over the last few series, Richard Hammond and now James May have morphed into clones of him. It's excruciatingly embarrassing to watch the way they copy his phrases, mannerisms and behaviour.

It's no surprise though considering Top Gear has and always will be the "Jeremy Clarkson Show" in all but name.

That's my first post in this thread from 2009, minus the last sentence.

Wow! Almost six years ago.

There is no denying that is true Brogan and I agree I have also said the program had run out of steam, maybe Clarkson realized this and didn't want another contract and preferred to go out in a blaze of controversy he may be a lot of things but one thing he isn't is stupid...

Happens all the time in this new era of Twitter rage.

According to the Sunday Express today, Clarkson came downstairs the following morning at that hotel, full of "let's move on" and "sorry" but the crew said "not this time mate, you've gone too far"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom