Tilke v Tradtional for DRS

Hi guys

Having watched the lack of DRS action during the Spanish GP, would anyone agree that the DRS system only appears to be overly-effective at the Tilke-designed circuits so far this season? While it has been used to good effect at the non-Tilke circuits of Melbourne and Barcelona, it has been more effective at Sepang, Shanghai and Istanbul. I believe Canada will give us a more true reflection of how well the system can work on a traditional circuit, especially if the two planned DRS zones go ahead

Having initially thought that the proposed DRS activation zone for Barcelona was too long, I actually came away with the opposite view. I think the DRS line should have been much earlier in the main straight, as by the time the following car could open its DRS, the car in front was too far down the track due to being able to get the power down first out of the final corner.
Had the line been somewhere nearer the back of the grid, we might have seen Hamilton for instance get a lot closer to Vettel before turn 1.
Couple that with the fact that Melbourne was the first try-out for the system and that the circuit just did not have a particularly suitable straight, I don't think it necessarily follows that Tilke tracks are good for DRS and the non-Tilke ones not.
I see no reason why circuits like Silverstone, Spa, Monza and Interlagos for instance can't have an effective DRS zone.

I'm confused people - do we want DRS or don't we? At Turkey everyone is mithering about it being too easy to overtake, in Spain everyone is mithering about it not helping. Please make your minds up... ;)

As to the specific question, this is still very early days for the system and there is bound to be lots of tweaking to make it effective at what it's supposed to do. I'm sure the FIA, FOM and the TWG are all looking at how it worked in Spain and deciding how best to implement it at other tracks. I think I made the point in earlier discussions that applying the system at the older tracks would be more problematic, very interested to see what happens at Spa - anyone dare run through Eau Rouge with the DRS open especially as the EBD will probably have gone by then.

I'm confused people - do we want DRS or don't we? At Turkey everyone is mithering about it being too easy to overtake, in Spain everyone is mithering about it not helping. Please make your minds up... ;)

As to the specific question, this is still very early days for the system and there is bound to be lots of tweaking to make it effective at what it's supposed to do.
Which was kind of my point really. After all, for every track they go to this season it will be the first time DRS has been used there, so the location of the zones is bound to be trial-and-error. I am sure that next season, having got a year's worth of experience under their belt, they will have a much better idea of where the lines are best placed at any given circuit to produce the desired effect.

FB - yes we do if it keeps the racing as good as its been this year.
People seem to have such short memories about the processions we've had over the last 10 years.

The best comment I heard this weekend was from my father-in-law, who is very much a casual watcher of F1... he actually said it was a good race and I'm inclined to agree.

We may not have seen much DRS passing but it at least kept things close and gave us a great final clutch of laps with Hamilton chasing down Vettel. That's what we all thought was great about Australia so surely it was good yesterday?

This was the best race I've seen at Barcelona for years so if DRS was a contributing factor to that then keep it going.

As to DRS only being suited to Tilke tracks... can't say this year; we'll have to wait until the end and see how it goes next year.

I can recall that they had "race setup" with DRS in final half an hour of FP2 in Melbourne. Perhaps they should do the same elsewhere and see what happens, and it could be changed if it can be seen too easy or not helpful at all.

I was going to try and let this one rest as the DRS has occupied al ot of space in several threads already. My problem with it is that whilst the F-duct was banned ostensibly because the teams were comng up with their own solutions (which I thought was quite a good thing) the floppy blooming slot thing was brought in. In the process, limitations are imposed on how a dirver choses to use the thing. If it's a tool, let the drivers use it when and where they chose.

Tilke did design the modified chicane in Barcelona did he not? So he must have had some sort of effect on that track.

I was going to try and let this one rest as the DRS has occupied al ot of space in several threads already. My problem with it is that whilst the F-duct was banned ostensibly because the teams were comng up with their own solutions (which I thought was quite a good thing) the floppy blooming slot thing was brought in. In the process, limitations are imposed on how a dirver choses to use the thing. If it's a tool, let the drivers use it when and where they chose.

Fenderman, the teams are coming up for solutions for the DRS too, well in away, the DRS gives different cars different speeds, Red Bull get 12kph out of theirs, Mercedes get 20kph from theirs. The main differences are, the F-duct could have been modified much more, plus it could have been used all around the track.

If the FIA think the F-duct was dangerous, KERS plus DRS activated at the same time is just as bad

Exactly. But don't you get the feeling that the FIA seem to have a problem allowing things they didn't think up or that they can't control?:thinking:

Exactly. But don't you get the feeling that the FIA seem to have a problem allowing things they didn't think up or that they can't control?:thinking:

True, but they did do it for a good reason, it would have became too dangerous as teams would have got the drivers to use other systems while driving.

But the FIA didn't pick up on that, that is what they are doing right now, making drivers use gadgets while driving their butts off.

I like the balance of races we've had so far. Australia was very different from Sepang and China, then Turkey was different and Spain was very different. I don't have a problem with the DRS in itself, but it was too easy in Turkey and looks like it'll be too easy in Canada. The most enjoyable races so far have been China and Spain, but for very different, almost opposite, reasons.

I can recall that they had "race setup" with DRS in final half an hour of FP2 in Melbourne. Perhaps they should do the same elsewhere and see what happens, and it could be changed if it can be seen too easy or not helpful at all.

Yeah. I'd have to agree with this, although it doesn't lead to a huge amount of practical examples because drivers aren't going to treat it like a race. I'm slightly frustrated that they still haven't worked it out.

Back
Top Bottom