The return of the French GP?

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
Le Figaro is reporting that a deal is going to be done between Circuit Paul Ricard (Castellet) and Spa to host GPs on alternate years.

The current rumour is it will commence in 2013, which coincidentally is when the current 5 year deal with Valencia expires...

It will be a crying shame to only have Spa every other year, but it's better than losing it altogether I suppose.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/sport/2012/0...anvier-pour-le-grand-prix-de-france-de-f1.php

I thought Bernie's Ex got Paul Ricard in the divorce? In which case its a great way for Bernie to get his own money back.

From nothing we suddenly have 3 French Drivers on the grid and a 4th (Bianchi) knocking on the door so makes sense that all of a sudden the French GP is back - and I've always liked Paul Ricard so glad its there. Little quiz question - can anyone name the top 3 the last time the French GP was held at Paul Ricard?

The last one at Magny-Cours was Massa, Raikkonen, Trulli.

Erm... Senna, Boutsen, Prost?

EDIT: Just checked. Should have realised...

Problem with Turkey was it was about as popular in the country as central heating in July. In regards to France it is a very big gap in the calendar missing, and for some reason Bernie has had something against Spa. A F1 calendar without Spa is half as good as a calendar which has it on.

Problem with Turkey was it was about as popular in the country as central heating in July. In regards to France it is a very big gap in the calendar missing, and for some reason Bernie has had something against Spa. A F1 calendar without Spa is half as good as a calendar which has it on.
A bit like China and all the Middle East and others too then but when has that ever stopped Bernie! At least Turkey is great circuit to watch F1 racing.

can anyone name the top 3 the last time the French GP was held at Paul Ricard?[/quote]

-----------------------------------------------------------

Prost, Capelli, Senna.
I remember this race pretty well because an interviewer spoke to Cesare Fiorio after the race and I remember being surprised that Fiorio didn't look exactly out of his mind with delight at Prost's win. I remember thinking "uh-oh", guessing maybe not everything was what it seemed behind the scenes at Maranello. Which the following year spectacularly confirmed.

The latest reports in French newspapers are that the French GP will return in 2013 at Paul Ricard/Le Castellet and alternate with Spa.

The latest reports in French newspapers are that the French GP will return in 2013 at Paul Ricard/Le Castellet and alternate with Spa.

I'm not sure if anyone saw my post on the Bernie thread but suddenly we have 3 French drivers on the grid with a 4th likely to be next year and Bernie is sorting out a French Grand Prix again? Shocker. Not sure about the Spa thing. Maybe if we get a front running Belgiun driver and we'll get to keep it, Step to the fore Jerome D'ambrosio!

I love the Paul Ricard circuit so excited about getting that back - hoepfully the race will be a double header with Silverstone like it used to be. Only thing about Paul Ricard though is doesn't Bernie's ex own it?

4 of Raikkonen's wins have been at Spa:

TBY.jpg

Back
Top Bottom