The Raspberry Pi Club

Running windows 10 means it will no longer become a low cost server. I do have a copy of windows 7 but I don't think that will be compatible with the system.

Linux based means the software available will be free to use.

I'm sure it will be the slimmed down mobile version - and should be kept cheap.

I seem to remember a lot of Microsoft's success / take-up was down to flooding the US campuses with their software on IBM PC's on the cheap; ensuring the next generation was familiar and confident with their stuff... then let inertia kick as they get older.

If I'm right then I doubt MS will have forgotten that and do all they can to hook 'em young.

Running windows 10 means it will no longer become a low cost server. I do have a copy of windows 7 but I don't think that will be compatible with the system.

Linux based means the software available will be free to use.

Windows 10 is available free for Pi 2 and there are loads of free server programs out there. ;)

Running windows 10 means it will no longer become a low cost server.
I'm fairly sure the Microsoft have announced that windows 10 will be a free upgrade from windows 7 and above so cost should not come into it I am also fairly sure that the windows OS will be freeware from that point on..

I believe this is due to Apple not charging for their OS upgrades.

Last edited:
Because I'm a highly trained electronics engineer dealing with the finest communication systems that the MOD can equip the Royal Navy with, I have no idea what on earth you do with, what looks to me like a small lump of plastic and circuit boards with a couple of things plugged into it.

I wish I knew what any of the last 24 posts prior to this actually meant but sadly I haven't got a bloody clue. :bawl:

It's basically a stripped down mini PC. Limited to how much you can do with a single module but it can replace a full PC for certain applications.

Actually due to googles greediness if you type in a search for say a freeware or shareware product such as a photograph program or anything else the first 10 or 20 hits will be of hosted sites which in fact whilst supplying the thing you were after also piggyback shit loads of stuff you don't want including malware and browser hijacking apps which can bugger up your computer and make browsing the internet nearly impossible because you are flooded with ads and redirected to sites you don't want to visit, these thing can be extremely difficult to get rid of.

So having a simple computer to intercept this is much better than any other type of protection you can think of as you just wipe it clean and start again with no harm done..

Meph you have got it in one. Nothing worse than having to wipe a PC and then spend a lot of time reinstalling all the programs you want. Having a little low cost box for that purpose saves a lot of hassle. At £25 it's better than buying a second hand PC as long as you have the necessary ancillaries.

For commercial purposes having a small unit that only runs one or two programs is great for media applications such as running slideshows on displays.

Last edited:
I think the case is an extra heres one for a fiver..

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compo...6541!&ef_id=VM@TzAAABIzz2jvL:20150211225618:s

l_10106331.jpg

Last edited:
My knowledge of computer systems, programming, coding well anything to do with anything beyond using normal computer programs is shameful. :(

The problem is cider_and_toast that you work for the MOD and are thus sheltered from anything which is up to date. I am a bit surprised though that the Pi has not been introduced to the Armed Forces as it is extremely cheap and ideal for running a single programme.

In my days once a piece of equipment was out of warranty spares were virtually non-existent since they had to be paid for. We even used to have to go into the section for overtime to sit around doing nothing because we were behind schedule due to the spares not being available. One thing that they were not good at was employee empowerment.

Because I'm a highly trained electronics engineer dealing with the finest communication systems that the MOD can equip the Royal Navy with, I have no idea what on earth you do with, what looks to me like a small lump of plastic and circuit boards with a couple of things plugged into it.

I wish I knew what any of the last 24 posts prior to this actually meant but sadly I haven't got a bloody clue. :bawl:

I am in basically the same boat with my NASA affiliation!

Back
Top Bottom