The Future Of F1

You've got this stupid situation where the big teams have a say on how the sport should be run and Jean Todt - the president of the FIA does :censored:all if I am honest so you have Ferrari, Toto Wolf and Dietrich Mateschitz dictating terms and conditions which includes how much they should get and what the little teams get. Force India have complained about this but to no avail unless they agree to go the way of Formula E then we will always get this situation where new teams do not survive and have got no chance .

Brawn was a unique one off situation but I don#t think any new team starting from scratch has got a chance to compete fairly in F1

You've got this stupid situation where the big teams have a say on how the sport should be run and Jean Todt - the president of the FIA does :censored:all if I am honest so you have Ferrari, Toto Wolf and Dietrich Mateschitz dictating terms and conditions which includes how much they should get and what the little teams get. Force India have complained about this but to no avail unless they agree to go the way of Formula E then we will always get this situation where new teams do not survive and have got no chance .

Brawn was a unique one off situation but I don#t think any new team starting from scratch has got a chance to compete fairly in F1
I beg to disagree. I am not sure who started this rumor, but it is patently incorrect that two teams are running F1. We had frequent statements by both, Ferrari and Mercedes alike, that they are very careful to "advise" FiA or Liberty how to run F1. "That's not our job", said Wolff (and I do agree).

This is in contrast to management of McLaren or RBR, who do not hesitate to be explicit in their demands and pressure onto governance of F1. Teams most blamed by shameful and underhanded manner are actually quite innocent IMO as far as interference once the contract is ratified.

That being said, Ferrari and Mercedes aren't without influence. In negotiations they are very specific under which conditions they will re-sign for another term, or walk away. If Liberty or FiA cannot accept it, they should let them go. Problem is with decisions at the helm, rather than with Maranello or Stuttgart. One would think top brass knows well what will follow, if those two teams take a walk.

Last edited:
Money talks and money is the root of all evil . Chuck Carey has not managed to deliver on his promises.. its much harder to agree on things in F1 than Formula E especially when there is serious tv money at stake as well

Or get what we have now which is a good batch of exciting competitive races which means nothing to be championship as the leaders are so far in front already.

Same happened in 2009 and 2011 as well. Front runner storms the first 5 or 6 races and then when his competor catchs up and goes racing it's too far gone to get anywhere near.

I think 18 is about right, but this goes down to liberty media scared of making big choices because spain should've gone. there is no need to renew keep it on its a terrible race track. get rid of Russia too. that 20 there & should be interesting race tracks. being optimistic about the newcomers

We don't need Spain. We don't need Vietnam, We don't need Bahrain, we don't need Abu Dhabi. We don't need Holland.

What we need are standard every year races which are long runner's - Australia, Monaco, Canada, Britain, Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Japan, Mexico and USA.

.....and rotation races
-Austria, Germany, France, Singapore, Abu Dhabi, Holland, Bahrain, Russia, China etc etc

The season would be shorter and more compact and hold everyones interest more. We'd have more excitement about going to some races as we're not there every year, and circuits can have a break with having to fund the races every year so they don't go bust.

Hell I'd prob chuck the standard races in the rotation bucket as well. Just Britain, Italy and Monaco as standard.

I do vote for:
  1. Permanent members as follows: Suzuka, Monza, Spa, China, Canada
  2. Monaco, Singapore, Hungary on rotation to each other (2 are racing, and 1 sits out)
  3. Key racetracks: France, Germany, Austria, Spain, UK (on rotation - 4 are racing, and 1 sits out)
  4. One visitor (newcomer) has guaranteed a spot - for anyone who wants to try it.
  5. Others - on rotation, filling the head count to 16 - 18 races annually. (Make it lottery draw or whatever)

Well.....do we actually know what the right number of races should be? Should it be 12, 16, 20, 24, 28...etc.?

I suspect there are only two major factors is this:

1. Profitability: If each race can be run for a profit (especially when adding in television revenues), then this argues for as many as the market will support. This appears to be some number greater than 20.

2. Fan Fatigue: The biggest danger of too many races is "fan fatigue" in that there might be too many races, each are not a special enough event, and therefore people stop trying to follow it as much. This, of course, has a long-term impact on profit. Now, is this a problem or can they go ahead and just expand the schedule to 36 races without issue (like NASCAR does)?

Now, when Liberty first arrived they talked about expanding the presence in the U.S. to 4 races. I have always contended for F1 to establish itself in the U.S. market it needed 4 to 6 races here. Apparently Liberty agreed with this, but to date, have not done so. So.....is this still part of the plan?

BTCC has 30 races per season and it's way more exciting/interesting.

1. Does the larger number of races increase the interest?
2. Is their fan base the same size as F1 (as I have never watched one)?
3. Is there fan fatigue because of the large number of races (as I suspect there was with NASCAR).

1. It's different from all other series as there are 3 races per weekend at 10 different circuits.

2. Much smaller - it's a UK series.

3. Not that I am aware of.

The big difference is the competition is much closer, drivers are not penalised for hitting other cars (to an extent), the third race has a random/reversed grid, and literally anyone can win a race.

I much preferred watching BTCC when I used to follow motorsport.

Back
Top Bottom