The Future Of F1

Anything related to Ecclestone has improved since he’s been gone. He was the promoter, not the rule maker.

The FIA have dropped the ball somewhat.

It's as if the FIA have lost the definition of "racing".
In order to race you have to be close; otherwise it's just time trials.
Until they impose a set of rules that allows car and driver to compete against each other in close combat the whole series is doomed.

I despair at the FIA, Liberty, theteams and the "fans" Andyoak. They all seem to be saying that what is wanted are faster cars with closer racing but seem oblivious to the fact that the way this is implemented destroys close racing. The new system Liberty have installed is working well, the adverts which were there before the hour have gone and have been replaced by adverts after the hour; a great step forwards.

Killing the golden goose never worked before, why should it now?

The problem was they mistook overtaking for closer racing... Well, that's one of the many mistakes.

Surely the FIA has enough technical resources to omit the teams from contributing to the car parameters? After all, they should dictate the rules the cars are designed to and raced within.

Liberty are there to promote the series.

Sprit-Limit wird 2019 aufgehoben: Piloten dürfen endlich Gas geben

Interesting article germans have found that had to be translated appartantly few points from agenda at the next strategy group meeting. At least not officially. neither the budget, the distribution of money or the engine format from 2021 will be brought up . Even if Maurizio Arrivabene wants to know by May, with which engine F1 has in 2021 mainly because Liberty wants to discuss oy privately

But The most interesting is the suggestion to abolish by next season the fuel limit of currently 105 kgs, appartantly Fuel mileage as worsened this yr. The cars have about 5% more downforce than 2017. Which means more air resistance. The engine manufacturers wanted to at least maintain the horsepower of their power sources, even though they now have to hold 7,000 instead of 5,000 kms.

The article also states that Vettel had to lift and coast from lap 3 onwards. Amazing, what has this series come to. The oil companies these days don't know what to do with all their black gold and looking into new ways of creating items like plastic bags with it. I think Formula 1 should just burn the stuff. :)

Edit: It also says the teams can't be asked to design new front wings, because the rules will change in 2 years and the cars will look totally different.

Come on Liberty Media apply some pressure. Put your balls where your mouth is.

Last edited:
So if the downforce were to be lowered then the fuel consumption would be improved. A side effect might just be that the racing would be better. Nah, much better to increase the fuel allotment.

F1 is a victim of its own evolution. The cars have outgrown their circuits. With ever higher cornering speeds and reduced braking distances, there is hardly any room to overtake. Regardless of minor tweaks to the formula, these inherent speeds and lack of differential means that any changes will only make things slightly better at best, and not meaningfully better. There won’t be any major changes that have a meaningful and noticeably positive effect on the racing.

So. A radical idea. Tear up all the circuits. Build new larger, wider circuits designed to produce racing for today’s and tomorrow’s cars. 2 km straights, room for 6 cars wide. 20 km circuits. 10 laps a race. Massive cars with massive engines. Go large. It would make the F1 of today look pathetic.

Well fingers crossed I guess. Simplified front wing sounds rather vague. I would of liked a standardised single element wing.

But will it really matter when 70% of the viewers won't be watching it as it's only on sky for 2019.
Feels like they are just rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

If the cars weren't so wide that they cover multiple time zones, passing would be easierLOL

It appears that first steps have been taken in setting up an F1 race in Miami. Much to the delight of most of you (I can hear Greenlantern101 cheering from here) it's going to be a street circuit round downtown Miami. Apparently. We'll see.

Can't help but feel I've seen a lot of US street circuits that tend not to last very long.

Back
Top Bottom