Football The 2010 Football World Cup Thread

Muddytalker said:
The more it went on, I wanted Uruguay to win

For all you Uruguay fans out there, Forlan has been named the tournament's best player by FIFA. A deserving winner in my book.

I feel it is nice that such an award has not gone to bolster the ego of someone from Barcelona or Robben etc.

Well that game summed up the tournament for me - not that exciting.

It was, on the whole, a disappointing World Cup with less than a handful of teams actually wanting to entertain - Germany, Argentina and in the latter stages, Uruguay.

Spain won despite not getting out of second gear and Holland were efficient with Brazil also falling into this category.

Some of the big teams decided not to show up at all! Think France, Italy and England.

None of the top players that we were expecting big things from performed at all, i.e Messi, Rooney, Ronaldo, Drogba, Torres...

The African nations excepting Ghana were very poor which was another disappointment.

Mick McCarthy's commentating was terrible but he wasn't the only one.

The pitches were cutting up badly and therefore prevented some of the games from being free flowing.

The standard of refereeing was below average to put it lightly.

You could add to this list the vuvuzelas but I didn't mind them - they tended to boost the atmosphere in otherwise poor games.

So I was very disappointed with this World Cup and the highlight of the tournament was Frank Lampard's 'goal', which kind of shows the poor quality of the football.

Poor tournament, awful match last night.

It's quite ironic when people in F1 talk about a lack of "spectacle" or that it's "hard to overtake".

And then when football fans say F1 is "boring", or when F1 fans say football is "boring".

No sport offers continuous excitement every time, it all depends on your viewpoint.

I can be proud and claim to be an ITV rebel. Because the person who first gave Mark Lawrenson a mic should be shot. And so should Mark Lawrenson.

And so ends one of the worst World cups that I can remember.

It was probably great for fans and for the way it was organised but in terms of the actual on pitch action, how bad does it have to get when one of the highlight games of the whole tournament was Italy V New Zealand.

So many disappointing performances, so much underachievement by so many and worst of all, so much cheating.

cider_and_toast said:
And so ends one of the worst World cups that I can remember.

It was probably great for fans and for the way it was organised but in terms of the actual on pitch action, how bad does it have to get when one of the highlight games of the whole tournament was Italy V UNBEATEN New Zealand.

So many disappointing performances, so much underachievement by so many and worst of all, so much cheating.

Fixed that for you!

Back
Top Bottom