Team principals vote Alonso best driver of 2012

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
This is the second time Alonso has won it.
It's also the biggest margin a winner has ever had over the runner up.

1. Fernando Alonso    269
2. Sebastian Vettel 198
3. Lewis Hamilton 177
4. Kimi Raikkonen 176
5. Jenson Button 104
6. Mark Webber 66
7. Nico Hulkenberg 50
8. Nico Rosberg 30
9. Sergio Perez 30
10. Felipe Massa 27
What's interesting is how close it was for second place.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104812

No, I mean second.
There are only 22 points between Vettel, Hamilton and Raikkonen and then there's a significant gap to fifth place.

According to the report, eight of the twelve prinicpals voted Alonso the best; one would assume Horner was one of those who didn't, I wonder who the other three were?
Shame we'll never know the breakdown, could have made for some interesting discussion :D

With the outset that 8 team bosses voted for Alonso 1st, I've tried to figure out how the drivers ranked.
Of course this is only a guess, but there are only so many ways you can reach those points over 12 votes.

Fernando Alonso: 8 times 1st, 3 times 2nd, 1 time 3rd
Sebastian Vettel: 3 times 1st, 3 times 2nd, 1 time 3rd, 2 times 4th, 3 times 5th
Lewis Hamilton: 1 time 1st, 3 times 2nd, 4 times 3rd, 2 times 4th, 3 times 5th, 1 time 7th
Kimi Räikkönen: 3 times 2nd, 6 times 3rd, 1 time 4th, 2 times 5th

The Hulk quietly jumps on to the back of the top 6 there, giving Perez, Massa and Rosberg a wave as he goes.

Strange how he was voted 7th yet not offered a top 5 team spot! F1 is an odd place.

And more numbers, this year is the 5th year the team bosses have voted.
  • Over the last, the honors for the top 10 have been divided amongst 19 drivers.
  • The highest ranked -at the time- non-winner in those 5 years was Nico Rosberg, who received 86 points for 6th in 2010.
  • The highest ranked non-winner over 5 years is Adrian Sutil, with 68 points.
  • The highest ranked non-winner over 5 years average per (participated) season is Nico Hülkenberg, with 34 points average per season.
  • In those 5 years:
    • Sebastian Vettel was voted best twice and 2nd best twice. In 2008, he was voted 5th best.
    • Fernando Alonso was voted best twice, and 3rd best twice. In 2009, he was voted 4th best.
    • Lewis Hamilton was voted best once, and 3rd best three times. In 2011, he was voted 4th best.
The 5 year running total top 10 (2008 & 2009 adjusted with factor 2,73):
  1. Sebastian Vettel: 967
  2. Fernando Alonso: 929
  3. Lewis Hamilton: 912
  4. Jenson Button: 573
  5. Mark Webber: 364
  6. Kimi Räikkönen: 331
  7. Felipe Massa: 330
  8. Robert Kubica: 293
  9. Nico Rosberg: 188
  10. Rubens Barrichello: 106
The 5 year running total top 10 average per season:
  1. Sebastian Vettel: 193
  2. Fernando Alonso: 186
  3. Lewis Hamilton: 182
  4. Jenson Button: 115
  5. Kimi Räikkönen: 110
  6. Robert Kubica: 98
  7. Mark Webber: 73
  8. Felipe Massa: 66
  9. Nico Rosberg: 63
  10. Nico Hülkenberg: 34

I'm not really surprised to see these results at all. Alonso fought for a championship he shouldn't have, therefore he's out in front. Vettel and Hamilton are perceived to be part of a 'top three' (whether that is right or wrong is a different matter), and there's a general consensus from those that matter (or that's the impression I get) that Raikkonen did really well this year. What I am surprised about is that Button and Webber are significantly higher than the most impressive midfield runners (Hulkenberg and Perez)

I wouldn't rank Button or Webber 5th and 6th, to me they underperformed by quite some extent.

But then you could argue who would be ahead of them. Only Hulkenberg, Rosberg and maybe Schumacher come to mind.

Rosberg had a strong first half to the season being a consistent points scorer, but the car became abysmal, and he fizzled away.

Schumacher, had the pace all year was let down by car problems throughout, made two mistakes, but once his car was fit enough to drive with no problems throughout the weekend he beat Rosberg more often than not.

Hulkenberg we all know.

To be honest, apart from the top 4 + Hulkenberg, no one has been that impressive.

At least everyone knows who was the best driver this season

I would put Hamilton ahead of Vettel in 2nd... it just shows being able to peak at the right time matters in the decision..>Vettel's four race win did it but people forget his errors in Hockenheim, and Monza

Hamilton's really been let down by the car and the team despite driving out of his skin and can't remember when he made a bad mistake this season

Back
Top Bottom