Team principals vote Alonso best driver of 2012

Outperforming Senna isn't much to write home about and while he was great in Barcelona and pretty good at the end of the year the rest of the year he was just terrible. He should have taken a lot more points than he did.

I'd have to agree there Il_leone, I think Maldonado grew up a great deal this year and buy the end was looking a much better race driver, not the accident waiting to happen he appeared to be earlier in the season.

For me, there was a top 5 of Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Raikkonen and Hulkenberg then a gaping chasm to the rest, who have all had seriously disappointing moments in the season (perhaps excluding the Toro Rosso and "new" team drivers, who are difficult to judge).

In the rest of the team principle's top 10 we have Button (who went missing for the first half of the year), Webber (who had a disappointing second half of the year), Rosberg (who I would say was outperformed by Schumacher overall), Perez (who lost the plot once he knew he was going to McLaren) and Massa (really...). My 6th-10th would probably be Maldonado, Perez, Schumacher, Webber and Button but I honestly can't fill those positions in any way that seems satisfying because they've all been especially crap at various points.

teabagyokel But as I mentioned above, name me a driver other than Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Raikkonen and Hulkenberg who has driven well for pretty much the whole season. You could maybe make a case for some of the drivers in the uncompetitive teams, although they're very hard to judge, but apart from that I can't think of anyone.

That's why, for me, below the top 5 it becomes more about who has impressed/exceeded expectations and Maldonado is miles ahead in that category.

Hulkenberg's form went up as the season went along but I don't think you're able to argue he ever performed badly during the season. Which you can't say for our friend Maldo.

I know he has immense speed and I've warmed to him as a driver in the latter part of the season but he wasn't consistent and didn't get as many points as he should have. Hence why I'm not surprised he's not in the top 10. I do think it was close between him and Massa though (and personally on second thoughts I'd put him in the back end of the top 10 list).

In terms of most improved I'd have to go with Hamilton, going from his 2011 performances to his 2012 it's been polar opposites

Not sure on that. I don't know if going back to the level we all know he should have been counts as improved. Which is why I wouldn't say Mark Webber was most improved either.

This one I would give to Maldo, Just, would have gone to Perez but for his end of season run. Both have made strides forward as drivers this year

Slyboogy

Button was certainly not as consistent as last year but he did manage to win 3 races still which is the same as Alonso and only bettered by Hamilton and Vettel

Webber 's performance is based on his 1st half of the season when he looked like he might be a serious contender but he had a 2nd half season slump which was very poor in the best car - he only scored 60 pts or so to his teammates 150pts or so and in my opinion probably should be behind Hulkenberg

It is fair to say Perez really fell off once he knew his career was secured with Mclaren

Massa on the list - there maybe some sympathy involved with this decision to put him ahead of Maldonado or Grosjean

Back
Top Bottom