Team-mate % Stats

It might look quite different if instead of points I look only at positions. Toro Rosso have definitely been the worst established team this year and their opportunities to score points have been limited. The table might be saying no matter how hard you try you're not going to get many top 10 finishes out of that Toro Rosso, rather than saying anything useful about the difference between Ricciardo and Vergne.

I might try that later this evening or sometime over the weekend. HRT, Caterham and Marussia could be included then as well.

EDIT: I have no idea why the table wants to fall off the bottom of my post...
Because it needs to be one continuous, unbroken string, with no carriage returns/line breaks.
Like this:

Code:
[TABLE][TR][TH]Team[/TH][TH]New Pts[/TH][TH]WCC Pts[/TH][TH]% Diff[/TH][/TR][TR][TD]Sauber[/TD][TD]193[/TD][TD]124[/TD][TD]56%[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Mercedes[/TD][TD]209[/TD][TD]136[/TD][TD]54%[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Force India[/TD][TD]146[/TD][TD]99[/TD][TD]47%[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Williams[/TD][TD]111[/TD][TD]76[/TD][TD]46%[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Ferrari[/TD][TD]514[/TD][TD]367[/TD][TD]40%[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]McLaren[/TD][TD]493[/TD][TD]353[/TD][TD]40%[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Lotus[/TD][TD]407[/TD][TD]302[/TD][TD]35%[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Red Bull[/TD][TD]569[/TD][TD]440[/TD][TD]29%[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Toro Rosso[/TD][TD]26[/TD][TD]22[/TD][TD]18%[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

I've sorted it for you.

Ah. That's probably an issue with output escaping, I bet, where...
Code:
<br />
...tags are automatically inserted by the WYSIWYG editor.

Of course, if you promote the team mates then surely everyone else gets demoted, as the total new points are far more than the points awarded through a season. If you do that you get...

Team New Pts WCC Pts % Diff
Sauber 120 124 3%
Mercedes 122 136 10%
Force India 52 99 47%
Williams 52 76 32%
Ferrari 408 367 11%
McLaren 400 353 13%
Lotus 290 302 4%
Red Bull 472 440 7%
Toro Rosso 3 22 86%

That thought did cross my mind, and it makes a big difference. Hmm.

What my table basically shows is an approximation of the absolute maximum that each team could have achieved if the performance of the other teams didn't change.

I'm going to keep pumping these out until either when I get something that I think reflects gains and losses due to unreliability/luck/errors or I get bored... this one I think works a bit better and is simpler. Sorry for high jacking the thread, I'm trying to find something that will help with the interpretation of the team mate comparisons...

I've seen other people do it before, but let me introduce the position total championship! Instead of awarding points in the usual way, a driver's score at each race is his finishing position - 1st means one "point", 12th means twelve "points" etc. For retirements and all other reasons for not finishing a race (apart from not competing in it) I award 24pts. The driver with the lowest score at the end of the season wins.

This means a retirement is a big penalty in this system, particularly for the front runners for which it will cost them 20pts or so (20 races worth of wins, rather than losing out on only one race worth of wins in the current system!) Consistency is king and it should be easy to spot the drivers who have had problems as a result.

The position total championship (PTC) would currently look like this (note that I have scaled Grosjean's total by a factor of 19/18 to account for his missed race):

ptc_pts.PNG

So Raikkonen would be leading the way, but Alonso and Vettel would still be in contention! Vettel would need to beat him by 3 places and Alonso would need to beat him by 6 places to take the crown.

The gains/losses compared with the current WDC standings are this (I've given the 'new' team drivers fractions of points from 0.1 to 0.6 in the WDC just to get there ranking correct):
ptc_diff.PNG

If we look at the bottom of this table you immediately see the drivers who have had a bit of an eventful season, the likes of Grosjean, Schumacher, Hamilton (who moves down from 4th to 7th in this system!) and Maldonado are all there. The Sauber drivers also have failed to finish on many occasions (in fact, they're even stevens in the PTC!). Maldonado ends up below slow but steady Senna and Kovalainen can almost see Schumacher's (about to break) gearbox. Hamilton loses of the order of 50-100pts compared to Alonso, Vettel and Raikkonen purely as a result of his extra, blameless, retirements (and would still be in contention for the championship as well if that hadn't been the case).

At the top, aside from Raikkonen the big gainers from consistent driving and the retirements of others are Ricciardo, di Resta and Senna. So, going back to the Toro Rosso debate, Ricciardo moves all the way up to 11th in this system whereas Vergne doesn't move. You'd have to figure out what's caused Vergne's issues, I can't remember, but Ricciardo has certainly been better at getting the car home - so good that he ends up not far from the front of the midfield. Di Resta ends up ahead of Hulkenberg in this system, and I can't remember Hulkenberg being to blame for any crashes which suggests that Nico deserves to be further ahead of Paul than he actually is, perhaps.

Frankly I could have saved a lot of time by just making a table of the number of retirements for each driver...

I knew I was stealing the idea from somewhere, sorry FB! Seems like it makes a lot more difference this year, probably due to the number of retirements in the top few teams and the competitiveness of the midfield.

EDIT: Maybe it would fit better in FB 's original thread than here, actually...

Back
Top Bottom