Suzuka 2009

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
After a 2 year break, Formula One returns to the wonderful Suzuka circuit.

The circuit is unique on the calendar in that it is the only one which has a figure 8 layout with the back straight crossing over the track by means of an overpass.

Circuit data including a simulated 1 lap video is here: Suzuka International Racing Course

It's worth noting that several of the drivers have not driven the Suzuka Grand Prix before, including the current WDC Lewis Hamilton and championship contender Sebastian Vettel, so it's going to be a steep learning curve for them.

Mark Webber is no longer able to win the WDC but Jenson Button, Rubens Barrichello and Sebastian Vettel are all still in with a chance.
With a 15 point lead over his team mate though, Jenson could secure the WDC with 2 races to spare if he scores at least 5 points more than Rubens.

The WCC can also be wrapped up by Brawn if they score 12 points or at the very least, more than Red Bull.

The current standings are here: F1 2009 Standings

Either way, it will be a crucial race in the fight to the finish.

Excellent! A return to Suzuka... Spoooon and 130R. They don't make corners like those any more.
A class racing circuit, that presents overtaking opportunities. Ace! :popcorn:

I can't wait for the race in the land of the rising sun!

Brogan said:
With a 15 point lead over his team mate though, Jenson could secure the WDC at Suzuka if he scores at least 6 points by placing 3rd and Rubens fails to score.

If Button finishes 4th and gets 5 points and Barrichello fails to score, Button would be 20 points ahead of Barrichello with two races remaining and hence will be World Champion as he has won 6 races to 2.

Button needs to finish 5 points clear of the Brazilian.

Brawn also just need to better Red Bull's score at Suzuka and the trophy is their's.

Reports abound that Jarno Trulli is ill in Japan, so what price a GP start for Kamui Kobayashi? Or hows about Naka to Toyota and Williams give a run out to the Hulk! Or more probably Jarno will be fit and well! However, do you think the Naka switch could happen if Trulli was out of the race. I'll bet Williams won't cry too much!

A list of updates that have been applied to the circuit since 2006.

• The pit exit has been realigned to join the track after the first corner
  • Asphalt has been laid in parts of the run-off area around the outside of turns 1 and 2
  • The track has been resurfaced between turns 17 and 7
  • The barrier on the driver’s right before turn 1 has been moved further from the track
  • The barrier on the driver’s right between turns 6 and 7 has been moved some six metres further from the track
  • The tyre barrier around the outside of turn 1 has had an additional conveyor belt inserted behind the first two rows

I have to say I'm a little disappointed about the first one.
No more exciting will they/won't they situations when cars are leaving the pits with one flying down the start/finish straight.

Brogan said:
The tyre barrier around the outside of turn 1 has had an additional conveyor belt inserted behind the first two rows

Is it just me who thinks they'll be doing the Generation Game back there?

Is it just me who thinks they'll be doing the Generation Game back there?

Cuddley toy.....Teas Made.....Set of spoons......Red Bull spinning and heading backwards this way.....Iron .... Trouser press.......erm erm erm

If you dusted off the Hakkinen/Schumi/Zonta move for Spa, how about Alonso/Schumi around 130R in 2005 for Suzuka. Has there ever been a better overtake?

Of course, there was Ayrton Senna under the heading "how not to do it" in 1989 as well!

I think it worth mentioning: a Grand Prix in Asia starting at 2pm local time! Can you believe it?

Being Japan, there is rain predicted by the BBC for Friday and Saturday but not Sunday. That could make it interesting, a wet grid and a dry race...!

"It was the worst damage (to F1 equipment) that we've ever seen," team boss Mario Theissen is quoted as saying.

What worse than this Mario? I don't think so...

Attachments

• kubica_crash.jpg
    kubica_crash.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 114
Brogan said:
Anyone else staying up to watch FP1?
I think I'll manage the first half or so.

I'm not one that usually turns down free stuff, but P1 is on too early/late* for me! :(

I'll just have to make do with watching P2 (at 6.00 am!), before I go to college for 9.00am. :popcorn:

* delete as applicable, depending on whether you're a night owl, early bird or just plain insane insomniac.

Ah, Suzuka again, superb.

Watching the highlights on the BBC red button have got my spine tingling again! Prost and Senna, Hill and Schumacher, Schumacher and Hakkinen.

I think the only two races I have seen in my life when a pair of driving gods drove a complete set of qualifying laps, flat-out against each other, for an entire race were Suzuka '89 and Suzuka 2000. Astonishing stuff - the margins they had over the rest of the field in both cases were extraordinary.

Suzuka is where Jenson Button really stamped a mark in his debut season, of course - outqualifying team mate Ralf Schumacher (who had raced in Japan) on a true drivers' circuit.

Hard to pick a winner given the nature of the circuit. Red Bull should be up there but their form is all over the place at the moment. Toyota always put on an extra effort at home (or at least at Honda's home) and their car seemed reasonable at Spa, in qualifying at least. I'm going to tip the BMWs for a good haul of points as well - both the team and the drivers are in need of good performances to boost their future employment prospects.

GordonMurray said:
Ah, Suzuka again, superb.

Watching the highlights on the BBC red button have got my spine tingling again! Prost and Senna, Hill and Schumacher, Schumacher and Hakkinen.

I just watched the 1994 race on-line. Fantastic race. It was better than I remembered! Fascinating to watch a split timed race again, two cars on the front row of the grid on different pit stop strategies, the two race strategies coming close toward the end and Murray's commentary!* When Damon pitted, Murray said "..and as Damon exits the pits, watch out for Alesi and Mansell crossing the line. AND THERE THEY ARE, THERE THEY ARE, THERE THEY ARE!!" Ok Murray, calm down! :snigger:

Excellent win Damon. Just one point behind Schumi with one race to go. My money is on Damon to win the title! :snacks:

* At one point, Murray cuts to David Coulthard for his view on the race. I was totally thrown by that! Am I in 1994 or 2009?!

I'm recording it all for watching tomorrow - including the classic GPs on Freeview p301 (or 302) which are on in the middle of the night.

How about Force India tomorrow? I suspect their star has flared up and died out but now we're back on a low downforce circuit they could be in with a shout. McLaren have more upgrades and they could be supreme. If they carry on at this rate then next year is looking very promising indeed.

I think I'm looking forward to this race more than any other this year.

Half the grid have never driven the track, it could rain, Jenson and Brawn could secure the championships...

It's going to be a cracker.

Yep, Japan is shaping up to be one hell of a race. I agree Rufus, McLaren are finishing the season strongly and, coupled with (possibly) signing Kimi next year, they are looking good for next season.

How the Brawns do in practice/qualifying, with the red bull's going for it with nothing to lose, the McLaren's resurgent, Force India's possibly on a flier and the BMW's... oh, hang on, the BMW's dropped there engines!.. this race weekend is going to be so good! Which is why I'm miffed at having to miss P1 & just watching P2. Speaking of which, I should get some shut-eye so I can get up early!

Now, to set that alarm...

Back
Top Bottom