Susie Wolff

Susie Wolff born 6 December 1982 in Oban is a British racing driver from Scotland. She has progressed through the ranks of motorsport, starting off in karting, then moving up to Formula Renault and Formula Three before moving to the DTM to compete for Mercedes-Benz since 2006. In 2012 she was signed by the Williams Formula One team to work as a development driver and she is still in that role.
She lives in Ermatingen, Switzerland with her husband Toto Wolff, since January 21, 2013, executive director of the Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team. The two were married in October 2011.

Susie is aiming to be the first ever woman since 1976 and Lella Lombardi to race in F1.

She has her own TV program on Sunday 24.3.2013 BBC2 8pm : Driven: The Fastest Women in the World.

Her race record is none to impressive at zero wins, and you would have to say she would not deserve a drive based on that alone. However it is way beyond time that a woman driver should be in F1 and if Susie can open that door which has been closed since 1976 then I say good luck to her and I hope she gets a drive in a decent car.

Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 08.05.03.png

I have to take a pragmatic view here. She's 30 years old and hasn't won anything of note in her racing career to date. Her 1st 5 years in DTM have only yielded two points finishes and not a single podium visit. If she was Mr Wolff (no pun intended) then we'd think nothing of it. As has been said above, a reasonable time in a test for rookies is one thing but doing it in race trim for a full season is quite different.

To me, it doesn't matter one jot, if your male or female behind the wheel of an F1 car but Susie Wolff is unlikely to be given a full time seat with Williams.

Last edited:
Suzie needs to be up to speed with the regular Williams drivers to be considered for a seat, and her age and experience are against her. But as she points out in the interview Ang posted, she wasn't getting the best out of her tyres, there's more to come. IF she gets herself on a par with other contenders for the seat, I'd give her the nod, and I think Claire would too. Even if its only for a year or two. Williams need money and sponsorship would come a-plenty if she had the drive. So get in there Suzie!!!!! She beat other young drivers and was damn close to some regular drivers. With so little experience in the cars, a wheel that was too big to reach the KERS button, and a seat she was shifting around in, that was a pretty good showing!

She beat other younger drivers who know are in a carva second and a half slower than that Williams. If she hadn't then it really would have been disastorous?

Out of interest for her to land the Williams drive they'd either have to drop the 100m sponsorship of Maldonado or the former GP3 and many other junior series champion Bottas who has been Williams only ray of hope with his performance in Canada this year.

Can't see the first one and I think it would be a crying shame if a team like Williams went for the second one and as Bottas manager is a certain Toto Wolff I don't think it will.

Still the interest in Williams and F1 durimg this three week break has been at its peak so mission accomplished. Well done Bernie...I mean Toto.....I mean Susie!

neither Caterham or Marussia are running Merc engines though which is where her money comes from.

If Susie Wolff is brought in to replace Bottas I may have to do a mad preist style protest and walk on the track.

Last edited:
But Susie isn't as fast nor has she ever shown at any point in her career that she is likely to do be. Hence my protest.

Nothing personnel on Susie. You will remember my issues with Bruno Senna when he held the seat in a similar way and it would be the same regarding any driver coming in to take a spot from someone when its obvious they are not as good and its just because of their connections.

Even if she is as fast as Bottas is at the moment Williams would be stupid to drop him and take her. Bottas is younger, has sponsorship and more potential than Wolff. She might be a good driver compared to most other female drivers and some male drivers, but compared to most current F1 drivers and the up-and-coming drivers she's really nothing special. She's lucky she's a woman who is married to a husband with connections or she would probably not even be where she is in the first place.

Josh I think you are underestimating the media circus that would descend on Williams if they had a female driver. That attention would certainly attract considerable additional interest from potential sponsors. I think any female driver would bring in considerable sponsorship, even more than Bottas.

I like that she is Scottish. But really I would support any woman trying to get into F1. As I have said before I think its very over due.

A driver, whatever sex, should be judged on their ability to race. They should be one of the 20+ fastest people on the planet round any current circuit and with current legal equipment.

They should not be the token, possible female, nor the boss's wife.

If she wants it, she has to do better and (hopefully) not rely on connections

F1 drivers are made up of maybe 10 of the best drivers in the world. The others are just good drivers with sponsorship, who by your criteria have no right to be in F1. No reason Susie shouldn't be one of them.

Sorry but Susie does not belong in F1 and just because she's Scottish and a woman does not mean she deserves to be in F1. She was a good karter and she is a better race driver than I could ever hope to be but even Max Chilton has achieved more than she has. I honestly can not understand why you're supporting her.

F1 drivers are made up of maybe 10 of the best drivers in the world. The others are just good drivers with sponsorship, who by your criteria have no right to be in F1. No reason Susie shouldn't be one of them.
I have always felt that the field was over-subscribed for whatever reason. More to do with the spectacle than ability and that has happened for many years!

Josh I think you are underestimating the media circus that would descend on Williams if they had a female driver. That attention would certainly attract considerable additional interest from potential sponsors. I think any female driver would bring in considerable sponsorship, even more than Bottas.

The problem with this is the attention would only be temporary unless she acheived results. If in a couple of Grand Prixs time she's just touring round at the back then the sponsors will be quick to back away to not spoil their brand and the media circus will move on to the next breaking story. Not bad if you wantba quick buck I guess.

Bottas may not bring in that kind of media attention but he does have a pedigree as a champion in junior cateogries and I'd argue that his 3rd on the grid in Canada brought in far better media attention and sponsor attention than a gimmick driver ever would.

and whilst you have a point reagarding drivers with money or not the top talent being on the grid you also have to ask yourself when has that strategy ever worked for a team who are trying to push back up the grid.

If a team like Williams has to resort to putting in a driver just for the media attention then there really is no hope for the majority of teams in F1.

Back
Top Bottom