Susie Wolff

Susie Wolff born 6 December 1982 in Oban is a British racing driver from Scotland. She has progressed through the ranks of motorsport, starting off in karting, then moving up to Formula Renault and Formula Three before moving to the DTM to compete for Mercedes-Benz since 2006. In 2012 she was signed by the Williams Formula One team to work as a development driver and she is still in that role.
She lives in Ermatingen, Switzerland with her husband Toto Wolff, since January 21, 2013, executive director of the Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team. The two were married in October 2011.

Susie is aiming to be the first ever woman since 1976 and Lella Lombardi to race in F1.

She has her own TV program on Sunday 24.3.2013 BBC2 8pm : Driven: The Fastest Women in the World.

Her race record is none to impressive at zero wins, and you would have to say she would not deserve a drive based on that alone. However it is way beyond time that a woman driver should be in F1 and if Susie can open that door which has been closed since 1976 then I say good luck to her and I hope she gets a drive in a decent car.

Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 08.05.03.png

What women getting into F1 need is a standard bearer, someone to show that women can do it. Susie Wolff will deepen the shadow of Amati if given the chance, making it yet more difficult for fast women.

Amati failed to qualify an off the pace car and was replaced by Damon Hill, who failed to qualify it also, 6 times out of 8......yet he went on to be a world champion.
Of course women can do it.
Look at the proportion of men running round in cars on the back of rich daddies or huge sponsorship. Or using political games and silky to tongues to get positions and wages their talent doesnt support. So Susie is married to an f1 boss and it may have helped her get a testing role, so she used what she's got just like the guys do. Good for her.
Just to put things in perspective, here's what Williams and Susie say about her position.
http://bit.ly/1bIkrZI

This is nothing to do with her gender racecub and just because guys do it doesn't make it right. We're hardly sitting here arguing Phillipe Adams deserved his spot.

and Williams justifuly putting her in? well what a shocker. Fancy an F1 team putting spin on its actions. Never seen that before.

Sorry but the sport should be about competition between thd best drivers in the world and if you support Susie Wolff getting a drive your basically saying you don't believe in that and you believe it should be open to anyone with the right connections. I know this does take place in F1 but that doesn't mean you have to support it.

Thats fine if thats what you think but when Lewis Hamilton gets dropped because Pedro Diniz's dad is better mates with the head of Merc than he is just remember you supported it.

I've not said anyone should be dropped and I've not said Susie should get the drive. I've said she deserves consideration. And Williams weren't defending putting her in they were saying she's not likely to get a Friday run. Susie was agreeing with them.

But why should she deserve consideration over the 100 odd other drivers who've been working their guts out trying to get results in other formula and getting far better ones than Susie Wolff has ever got?

Using Susie Wolff as an example of the potential of female F1 drivers is like using Riccardo Rosset as your example of the potential of Brazilian F1 drivers; if she is given a chance all the girls with a chance of doing well get the rugs pulled out from under their feet. If she's given a go, she'll be ammunition for the chauvanist troglodytes when she fails.

And, if you look at her junior record, claiming she won't fail would be optimistic bordering on insane.

racecub. No one here as said they won't give Susie a chance and no one has knocked her performance. All we've said is there are about 200 odd drivers who deserve that chance more than her so we don't want to see her get it.

This isn't big hate for Susie this is just a simple fact she hasn't done anything to deserve this chance she's getting. Frankly when drivers like Robin Frinjs who win championship after championship are getting dropped because they don't even have the budget to keep a GP2 drive I find the whole think frankly stomach turning.

That's not Susie's fault. She's just playing the hand she's been dealt just like all the guys do in this corrupt and political game of F1.

Again not about her being a woman. Please acknowledge that.

You'll see just as much derision of Max Chilton and co.

I'm afraid nepotism is wrong and should be oppossed whether done by male or female.

Unless you support it of course. In which case when F1 is just full of rich have a go guys and sons of millionaires whilst all the talented drivers are rocking about in Auto GP then please don't complain.

For someone who is a big Lewis Hamilton fan and has often commented on him coming from a poorer background and having to show his talent to get into F1 I'm rather surprised at your stance to be honest.

I don't support rich guys getting drives. Far from it. I said that sadly thats the world of F1 today. And I've never said Susie deserves an F1 drive.

Back
Top Bottom