Susie Wolff

Susie Wolff born 6 December 1982 in Oban is a British racing driver from Scotland. She has progressed through the ranks of motorsport, starting off in karting, then moving up to Formula Renault and Formula Three before moving to the DTM to compete for Mercedes-Benz since 2006. In 2012 she was signed by the Williams Formula One team to work as a development driver and she is still in that role.
She lives in Ermatingen, Switzerland with her husband Toto Wolff, since January 21, 2013, executive director of the Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team. The two were married in October 2011.

Susie is aiming to be the first ever woman since 1976 and Lella Lombardi to race in F1.

She has her own TV program on Sunday 24.3.2013 BBC2 8pm : Driven: The Fastest Women in the World.

Her race record is none to impressive at zero wins, and you would have to say she would not deserve a drive based on that alone. However it is way beyond time that a woman driver should be in F1 and if Susie can open that door which has been closed since 1976 then I say good luck to her and I hope she gets a drive in a decent car.

Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 08.05.03.png

Methinks it is a rather poor promotional film rather than a documentary. Having looked up her career stat's I'm sorry to say I haven't seen all of it. What I did see was [rhyming word] not very good. Sorry Susie but as an advertisement for women in F1 it is a disservice to your fraternity.

For women in F1, if Susie Wolff gets there it will be a tragedy. Future girls need a driver with two X chromosomes who is going to defy the stereotypes and not confirm them Amati-style.

I guess we know where Sir Stirling stands;

"I think they have the strength, but I don't know if they've got the mental aptitude to race hard, wheel-to-wheel."

"We've got some very strong and robust ladies, but, when your life is at risk, I think the strain of that in a competitive situation will tell when you're trying to win,"
I love when people just say exactly what they think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22083547

F1 hopeful Susie Wolff, 30, responded: "I completely disagree with him. It makes me cringe hearing that."

And he didn't even big her up just for being Scottish like he has been for Di Resta for the last two years!

""The mental stress I think would be pretty difficult for a lady to deal with in a practical fashion. I just don't think they have aptitude to win a Formula 1 race."

He's got it the wrong way around. I think women will in general lack the physical strength and perhaps reaction time although there are exceptions but im afraid at this level its rare to non existent. But I'd like to see a man spend 3 days pushing a baby out, ripping from their winkie to their bumhole then having their nip nips sucked to rawness every 2 hours! Good god you lot with the sniffles is bad enough and watching a man get his legs waxed is hilarious!

On to Susie Wolff. She makes ME cringe. What a disgrace she is having the audacity to think she deserves to be in F1.

I don't agree with Sir Stirling's rather mysogynistic views but I find the way the media uses this as a character assassination even more distateful. It's easy to forget he's an old geezer, F1 was very different in his day, and his attitude was probably pretty tame in comparison to others. That doesn't make it right of course. Most male-dominated sports were like this and probably still are to a certain extent behind closed doors.

But ... I do think it's up to women drivers to step up to the mark and prove themselves. In some respects it's easier for a woman to drive in F1 because the initial novelty and marketing values would be so immense that any team would probably take a female driver over a male driver provided they were equally talented. So where are the good women drivers? Are they being failed by the young driver programmes? I'm sure women drivers will compete in F1 someday soon.

I see Sir Stirling's comments meant as more of a challenge than an insult.

It's a shame Katherine Legge didn't stay in the UK. She might have been one to break the duck. At 32 maybe F1 is out but she's going to test the Deltawing. That will be an interesting combination to watch out for.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1...ng-to-take-part-in-the-2013-young-driver-test

Susie Wolff is targeting a drive in the upcoming Silverstone Young Drivers Test. Why, exactly? She neither has the talent, as demonstrated by her previous racing 'exploits', nor does she have the necessary pre-requisites required to gain a super licence - although she may be given a super licence if she completes a set number of kilometers in testing (which kind of defeats the purpose of having the pre-requisites in the first place). And at 30 years old she's hardly a 'young driver':rolleyes:
How about moving over and giving someone who has genuine talent a chance at showing what they can do? It's such a shame to see Williams lowering themselves to the level of hiring a female as a publicity stunt. it's no better than HRT giving Ma QingHua a drive in practice.
Nothing to do with her being female, by the way. If there is a female who can demonstrate she is good enough then great. But she clearly isn't, so why delude herself that she has a chance and is there for anything other than publicity?

Back
Top Bottom