Str8poll: Hamilton in 2008

Q. Giving marks out of 10 , how would you rate Hamilton in 2008?

• Total voters
brogan: you're right. i suppose it was just the shock of the 2 cars standing still... no, only joking. you're right. i got a tad carried zway. i bow my head in shame and am keeping my score for LH this year as a 6.

thank you.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Sorry, second post and I'm already going off topic, but as I gave up my 606 membership, could one of you guys or girls invite the likes of Auto and B Bunny over here????Please.

v8Martin said:
Sorry, second post and I'm already going off topic, but as I gave up my 606 membership, could one of you guys or girls invite the likes of Auto and B Bunny over here????Please.
Several of us have already tried a few times.
They've made it quite clear they're not interested in posting anywhere except 606 unfortunately (same goes for GordonMurray).

Brogan said:
I'm going to have to think about this :s

Based on current results, he would appear to be doing better than his team-mate and was leading the WDC.

If you look carefuly you will find, Lewis's teammate Heikki has a lot of bad luck. He crashed in Spain due to tyre failure, had tyre pucture in Turkey, stalled in Monaco AND in Australia safety car came out when he was leading, thus spoiling his strategy. If it was not for this he would have been up there with Lewis. :D

I agree Heikki has had more than his fair share of bad luck but apart from qualifying where his single lap pace has been quicker then Lewis on several occasions, his race pace always seems to be a tenth or 2 slower.

I really hope Heikki has better luck for the rest of the season and can improve the small amount he needs to be fighting with Lewis as he's a very likeable character.

He has at times been excellent, like when forced to take three stops in Turkey and riding out the carnage in Melbourne/Monaco...

And then there's the fondness for sticking his car up former World Champions' rear ends that cost him twice :givemestrength:

Like Kimi, 8/10

I may reconsider allowing guests to vote on polls.

Quite clearly this poll has been spoiled by probably the same posters on 606 who regularly vote articles down because they don't like (hate?) the driver

Contrast the votes here with Kimi's poll.
Granted he has a single vote for 1 but the rest are what I would expect from a set of normally distributed results.

I expect a similar thing will happen when the Alonso poll is put up.

The reason that you are getting all those 'ones' is because you didn't give the option of a zero :( . There does seem to be a lot of raw unadulterated hate around. I know that there is a tendancy in Britain to deal with someone perceived as a bit 'uppity' by cutting them off at the knees, and on a good day he can make any other driver look second rate, which might be a bit irritating -- but really :givemestrength:

brogan, you have a point. plus i also notice there are some comments on this board coming close to what we see on 606 and i for one am not very happy with that. cos i would hope this place to be a good place without all the 'he did this so why didn't they do that' blablabla.

but this seems to be the state of f1 these days... ah, bring back the bentleys!

Think i voted before, but cant rember what i gave him, but i now i give a 6/10, Hamilton hasn't impressed me this season, he's been very average and has made a couple of mistakes, after the careless/mindless incident in canada and considering I only gave alonso 5/10 because of Monaco theres an arguement that I should be lower, but hamilton has shown flashes of speed, ans some of the percieved lack of pace has been down to the fact that the McLaren simply isn't has good as the ferrari. Straying away from the topic a little, This is an important time for Lewis now, How he revcovers from the las few races will decide weather lewis can fulfill this potental, and become the great driver hes touted to be,

I have given him a 9 as although he has made a silly mistake (Canada), the rest of the races he has got as much as he can out of the car. As someone else has already said, look where his team mate has finished each race.

The car is obviously not working as well as the Ferraris at most circuits, but he is still in with a shout at the WDC, even splitting the Ferraris in Turkey with a 3 stop strategy.

Why are there so many 1's? Are guests really allowed to vote on these polls?

RickD said:
Why are there so many 1's?
I suspect that a lot of people are voting based on their dislike of him as a person rather than as a driver.
After all, if Hamilton is a 1 then what does that make Heikki?

Are guests really allowed to vote on these polls?
I changed the voting to allow guests to vote as the polls are listed on the 606 site.
I am considering changing it back to registered users only though as clearly there is some spoiling going on.

Interestingly the Alonso vote hasn't been spoiled in the same way...

I've managed to restore the votes for all the polls which is good news.

While I was at it, I took the opportunity to remove all the spoiler votes.
Strangely satisfying :D

This one took some thinking about but for me it has to be a six.

In some races this season his performances have been way above average and in others way below.

To some extent I think the problem that Lewis has this year is that he is finding it difficult to gauge where he is in terms of his rivals. Last year he performed as well as Alonso and the pair pushed each other in performance where as this year I don't think he is getting the same challenge from Heiki. In my opinion this is a contrabuting factor to his inconsistant driving performances.

I know personality shouldn't have much to do with it either but he is also becoming very bland and corperate. Just look at the result of the leg pulling between him and Jenson in the run up to the Brit GP. He didn't come out of that very well. In his first season there was a bit more joy and unpredictability about him but this season he has lost all that. His moaning about having to give interviews to the press after the French gp for example, are not winning him many new fans and contribute to the huge devide between fans.

A cool controlled Lewis in a Mclaren this season has proven at times to be unbeatable but far to often we see him out driving the car or loosing his rag leading to silly mistakes. He has also had some bad luck (that puncture for example).

This may yet prove to be another season where Kimi nips up the rear and takes the title from under Hamiltons nose. For balance I would rate the top 3 all as 6 because none of them can seem to turn in a consistant performance this season.

C_A_T

Wasn't me with the one.

I gave a 7, i guess much like everyone elses thinking he shown flashes of brilliance, but the learning curve is still a steep one for him and at the same time shown some incredible levels of immaturity in overextending / overdriving the car when just finishing would be a much better result.

I've given him an eight. Whilst some of his drives have been superb; e.g. Silverstone, others have been entirely forgetful; e.g. Canada, or rather Lewis would like everyone to forget Canada. :whistle:

He's still young though, so I forgive him his shortcomings... ;)

I've gone for a 7 due to some stunning drives this season, Silverstone and Spa (regardless) spring to mind and also bearing in mind that he's only in his second season but......... as my headmaster used to say "could do better" LOL

Imagine what he's going to be like in his 4th season ;)

sobriety said:
Burned out by the burden of expectation at this rate :p

It could happen. Or perhaps he'll never been in a race-winning car again after this season. I certainly can't see him winning for year after year unless he switches to a red car.

I think if he doesn't take the title this year then he could suffer a severe knock of confidence.
If that does happen and with the rule changes next year, who knows when he'll get another chance to challenge for it.

Back
Top Bottom