Stop-Pit-Stop

Brogan said:
But the current SC rules severely penalises a driver who is right behind his teammate

Only if the team are daft enough to go for the same strategy if they've got two drivers nose-to-tail.

It is almost idiotic, actually. The tyres tend to be good enough that the second driver can do a Webber and go on, but even if not, the second driver will certainly not benefit from coming in at the same time as a team-mate and its worth a go!

Simply close the pit lane.True some drivers might get an advantage if they had pitted before the SC, but that would be just bad luck.
The present rules are very poor in this respect.

I agree with having the pitlane closed on the basis that that rule was removed because cars were given no choice but to break the pitting rule due to the fact that they would run out of fuel if they didnt. With refuelling not an issue anymore, the pitlane closure can be re-introduced.

I also like the idea of a timed limiter release after the safety car goes in, i.e. if someone in 1st place is 10 seconds ahead of 2nd place then their limiter is released 10 seconds before 2nd place and so on. I know bunching up is one people enjoy for spicing things up, but realistically there is almost no overtaking that takes place when they do and it is just as much a false mechanism as the pitstops.

E.g. As per our ideal of letting the teams decide, if you choose to pit twice in a race as oppose to once or never, one safety car will be the destruction of your strategy. In other words teams would appreciate the possible implications and never use a strategy that involved pitting, therefore if I want to get rid of the pitstop, I have no choice but to find a solution to the SC bunching also.

However it works there will be winner and losers, there's no perfect system. Personally I'd not want to see a staggered release, dealing with SC periods is another skill for the team and driver to demonstrate.

(Hello)
One thing for those advocating the removal of the pit stop is that you have to consider the need to switch to intermediate and wet weather tyres.

I agree with the notion of closing the pits when the safety car is out but there could be a problem. If there were a sudden heavy downpour and someone crashed straight away then the cars could be left out in the wet with slicks - when the sc came in the restart would be dangerous and there would still be the rush to the pits.

As for the problem of queueing in the pit lane, again that can happen when the weather changes so it isnt just the sc that causes this problem.

Hi Jru, welcome to the site.

Yes, there's no ideal solution but at least we can try and devise a better one than there currently is :D

Once we hit on the ideal, we'll email the FIA/FOTA and let them know ;)

Hi and welcome.There will always be circumstances that causes a mass of cars to enter the pits.You can think of all sorts of scenarios when this could happen.
But by closing the pit lane when the SC is deployed removes one variable.If there was a sudden heavy downpour when the SC is deployed, the SC would simply reduce the pace even more to avoid the likelyhood of cars crashing if fitted with the wrong tyres.
Its impossible to legislate for every possible variable, but by removing one you reduce the odds of this happening.
And if the conditions deteriorated to that extext the race would be stopped.

Back
Top Bottom