Announcement Statistics forum access restricted to signed in members

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
You now have to be logged in to access the Statistics forum.

This is a short term experiment to see how it affects site traffic and membership sign-up.

We get tens of thousands of hits every day on the stat's and overtaking data, mostly from unregistered guests who copy and paste the data onto their own sites and forums for discussion there.

I would like to try and at least benefit from all the hard work that Galahad and KekeTheKing put in to compiling the overtaking data, not to mention all the other stat's that are posted there.

Hopefully by "encouraging" people to sign up to view the forum contents, a few of them might make the effort to post and get involved.

Comments and feedback welcome.

Hmm. Personally I dislike forums that ask me to register just to see what content they have, but that's usually blanket bans. Obscuring one portion of the forum seems alright, so long as they can get an idea of what the rest of the site is like.

I've thought for a while it might also be beneficial in terms of keeping members around to move the 'Hello' thread somewhere a bit more visible/easily clickable. Nobody's posted there in 2 months, I can practically smell the rotting corps- oops, got a bit carried away there. My point is it's kind of tucked away, and the way I've always felt about it is, I tend to feel more at home on a forum that responds to an introductory message.

Perhaps a link to the Hello thread in between 'Welcome' and 'Pit Lane' in the Briefing Room forum, so it's easily seen? And then all we have to do is get off our bottoms* and make sure we say hello to every new poster so they feel welcomed.

It'd be great to have another 10-20 active members or so. CTA is one of my favourite F1 places to come but it could do with that extra bit of activity.

So long as they're intelligent. And witty. Like us. :no:

* technically we'd be on our bottoms anyway. unless you stand at your computer.

Enja said:
Hmm. Personally I dislike forums that ask me to register just to see what content they have, but that's usually blanket bans.
I'm exactly the same which is why I haven't done it for the last few years.
I figured though that now is as good a time as any to try as the site is now well known for the stat's data.

I've thought for a while it might also be beneficial in terms of keeping members around to move the 'Hello' thread somewhere a bit more visible/easily clickable. Nobody's posted there in 2 months, I can practically smell the rotting corps- oops, got a bit carried away there. My point is it's kind of tucked away, and the way I've always felt about it is, I tend to feel more at home on a forum that responds to an introductory message.

Perhaps a link to the Hello thread in between 'Welcome' and 'Pit Lane' in the Briefing Room forum, so it's easily seen? And then all we have to do is get off our bottoms* and make sure we say hello to every new poster so they feel welcomed.
Good idea, I'll see what I can do about that.

If you ever have any suggestions or ideas for changes or improvement please don't be shy in speaking up.

A forum is member driven after all so if there's something you'd like to see then just say.

CTA is one of my favourite F1 places to come but it could do with that extra bit of activity.

There have been 24 new members since 1700 hrs yesterday.

That is all the evidence I need that people are willing to go the effort to sign up to view the statistics data we have.

Unless anyone has any objections I propose to keep the restrictions on the Statistics forum in place.

After all, it only takes a minute to register and it's not too much to ask people to do, is it?

Why not? Does it affect anything that the Overtaking analysis 2010 has 11836 views? (at time of posting)

Anyway, its not rocket science to sign up, we were all doing it when it wasn't fashionable!

teabagyokel said:
Why not? Does it affect anything that the Overtaking analysis 2010 has 11836 views? (at time of posting)

Well I considered doing it a while ago but I was concerned that visitors would stop returning if they had to register to view the contents.
I think now though the site is sufficiently well known across the web that people are more willing to register to continue accessing the data.

Anyway, its not rocket science to sign up, we were all doing it when it wasn't fashionable!
And it's thanks to all those who have signed up and contribute that the site is still here.
There was a time a short while ago when I didn't think it was worth the effort for the amount of active users and was considering not renewing the domain.

So thanks everyone :thumbsup:

The increase in numbers is fantastic, the site must have had about 15 today alone? :o

But nobody's posted in the 'Hello' thread! Bah.

Enja said:
The increase in numbers is fantastic, the site must have had about 15 today alone? :o
32 since I made the change yesterday afternoon

But nobody's posted in the 'Hello' thread! Bah.
:D

I wasn't going to say anything about that...

Just done a bit of "research".

Still the problems appear to be in keeping new members here, and making sure they post.

Since the day you changed the access restrictions a week ago, CTA has had 80 new members. Only 5 out of those 80 have actually posted, 4 of which have introduced themselves.

Are we just not interesting enough posters to make them respond? LOL

They're just all too scared to post anything Enja :)

Shows the high level of you boys and the site if anything :goodday:

Enja said:
Are we just not interesting enough posters to make them respond? LOL
:D
It's always extremely difficult to get new active members.
As you probably know yourself, most people tend to stick to the same forum(s) they originally registered with.

There have actually been 70 new members since Thursday July 1 and 5 of them have posted 54 times between them.
So although it's quite a low percentage, it's still 5 more posters than we had this time last week :thumbsup:

The other problem is a lot of them are from foreign shores, judging by their IP addresses, so I expect their primary aim is just to access the overtaking stat's.

We'll get there eventually ;)

Enja said:
Are we just not interesting enough posters to make them respond?

Of course we're not! LOL

No, seriously, if you look at the statistics there are 13 pages of 0 posters and you're onto page 19 when you get to double figures. There are just about 2 pages of people on triple-figures and 5 people (Brogan, myself, cat, FB and Galahad) on quadruple figures.

That is really what you'd expect - a pyramid with a few people who are always on here. I don't think its a problem anyway, if they don't want to post its their loss, we have been fine for 2 years now!

teabagyokel said:
No, seriously, if you look at the statistics there are 13 pages of 0 posters
That's just all the fake accounts I set up to make the site look popular :D :whistle:

teabagyokel said:
Enja said:
Are we just not interesting enough posters to make them respond?

Of course we're not! LOL

No, seriously, if you look at the statistics there are 13 pages of 0 posters and you're onto page 19 when you get to double figures. There are just about 2 pages of people on triple-figures and 5 people (Brogan, myself, cat, FB and Galahad) on quadruple figures.

That is really what you'd expect - a pyramid with a few people who are always on here. I don't think its a problem anyway, if they don't want to post its their loss, we have been fine for 2 years now!

Fair enough! ;)

Back
Top Bottom