Spain - A Golden Sporting Generation?

Sarinaide

Banned
Seems like Spain are dominating the sporting world with the football side reigning WC and EC, the U-21 now champions, Alberto Contador striving for number 4 in the Tour de France, Rafa Nadal and Fernando Alonso among the stand outs.............................................and then there is Barcelona.

I'm pretty sure I once saw a Spaniard playing darts on the TV. He was useless, if my memory serves me correctly. Who is the World Tiddlywinks champion?

I think it only seems this way if you are Spanish. Fernando Alonso hasn't won a championship in 5 years, he's not going to win this year and he'll likely never win one again. He is one of the top drivers but his stock is in decline whilst the stock of his closest competitors rises and thier abilities exceed.

I think it only seems this way if you are Spanish. Fernando Alonso hasn't won a championship in 5 years, he's not going to win this year and he'll likely never win one again. He is one of the top drivers but his stock is in decline whilst the stock of his closest competitors rises and thier abilities exceed.

1] The point being he is a double WC in recent(ish) times and the fact he is a spaniard.

2] Never will again........marginal call given last season?

3] Vettel is the only stock rising driver at the moment, without getting into the debates and merits Alonso's stocks are still pretty high, when you consider that it was like last year he was but a whisker away from number 3.

4] I hope this is not a "I hate Alonso" retort from someone that is either a McLaren fan or Lewis Hamilton fan, because to me it seems like only the fans haven't moved on. 2007 was so yesteryear.

1] The point being he is a double WC in recent(ish) times and the fact he is a spaniard.

2] Never will again........marginal call given last season?

3] Vettel is the only stock rising driver at the moment, without getting into the debates and merits Alonso's stocks are still pretty high, when you consider that it was like last year he was but a whisker away from number 3.

4] I hope this is not a "I hate Alonso" retort from someone that is either a McLaren fan or Lewis Hamilton fan, because to me it seems like only the fans haven't moved on. 2007 was so yesteryear.

I am a Hamilton fan and I voted Alonso driver of the weekend. You are an Alonso fan and voted Hamilton chump of the weekend. Let's not get confused about who hasn't moved on from 2007 shall we. I'm pretty sure it was a brit (Rory Mcllroy)
who won the US open too, so let's not get confused about that either.

Do you not think Kobayashi's stock is rising, or Paul Di Resta, or Nico Rosberg? There are 24 drivers in F1 and they are not all Spanish and driving a Ferrari.

I'm glad to see that you have support for your countrymen, but let's be realistic. ;)

1]

That's the whole point, Alonso from his peak, years ago would not have stared at Petrovs rear all race without an attempt to pass. He didn't win his third WC because it's harder now and others don't jump out of the way

Next year will be 7 years without winning I think

I am a Hamilton fan and I voted Alonso driver of the weekend. You are an Alonso fan and voted Hamilton chump of the weekend. Let's not get confused about who hasn't moved on from 2007 shall we. I'm pretty sure it was a brit (Rory Mcllroy)
who won the US open too, so let's not get confused about that either.

Do you not think Kobayashi's stock is rising, or Paul Di Resta, or Nico Rosberg? There are 24 drivers in F1 and they are not all Spanish and driving a Ferrari.

I'm glad to see that you have support for your countrymen, but let's be realistic. ;)

1] There was no McLaren option and because Hamilton was the leading driver and had the best opportunity I selected that one, as was explained.

2] Everyone's stock is rising bar maybe Trulli and Schumacher and aged drivers at the end, but to suggest that Alonso is over the hill is folly.

3] He is not my Countrymen.....I was marely looking at the dominance of Spain for the most part in sport globally.

4] This is sport in general not just F1 and well Spain are doing pretty damn well I would say.

5] "brit" as above you assume that I am Spanish, why does one have to be Spanish to see that they are having a golden period in major sports? Lets not turn something that has nothing to do about Brittons into a arguement involving them........

Hmm. I think I'll bail out of this discussion at this point. I was just trying to bring some common sense to some pretty ridiculous statements but I have now realised that it's a pretty futile exercise. Good luck.

So in a thread based on a Spanish golden generation in sport, you mention Brits,....really common sense.

Again I am not a Spaniard just found it interesting that they have done exceptionally well in recent years in all major sports. If I were talking of countrymen I would mention Charl Schwartzel, Louis Oosthuizen, The Springboks, Proteas etc...etc....so clearly has nothing to do with affiliation.

They're doing pretty well, yeah, but you can't really say they're dominating as that would imply they are winning (nearly) everything, and they clearly aren't.

They're doing pretty well, yeah, but you can't really say they're dominating as that would imply they are winning (nearly) everything, and they clearly aren't.

Well granted that the WC and Euro Champs is only every 4 years, that is the big prize and they have both. Contador is Lance v. 2.0 and Nadal and this coming from a Roger Federer fan is the alpha male in the tennis world currently, despite Djoko's form and Federer being here and there. I think as a sporting nation and in major sports they are doing pretty well.

Soccer/Football they are dominating hands down, with Barcelona adding club dominance.

They're "dominating" the sports that have a great deal of media coverage (in Europe atleast), that's true. But Spain isn't dominating baseball, basketball, golf, boxing, hockey (they were third in 2006, but that's like 5 years ago...). The only reason they appear to be dominating is because of the media coverage of the sporting events they're winning/good at. They're not dominating the sporting world as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom