Site changes over the coming few weeks

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
There are some big changes coming to the site later this year, with the release of version 1.2.0 of the software.

That is going to introduce a lot of new features and some existing stuff will be moved around.

In anticipation of that, I am starting to remove some customised components and edits which have been made, partly to make the upgrade easier and also to make it easier to maintain going forward.

Hence the thread on the editor toolbar and various other small changes you may see over the coming weeks.

I would hope that over time most, if not all of those can be reintroduced at some point, but I can't guarantee it.

So that hopefully explains what is going on over the next few weeks.

Edit: I should add that the upgrade is likely to break most of the existing add-ons so until the various developers update them to work with the new version, we may just have to remove them altogether.

The less used links are moving out of the navigation bar.
Help will be next and will be moving to the footer between Contact Us and Home.

This will allow more space in the nav bar for other menu items....should it be required ;)

You know that game where you have to memorise items and then they remove one and you have to remember which item has been taken away. It's a bit like that on here at the moment. I've just spent the last half hour trying to remember what's missing from the bar at the top of the screen. I kept thinking, I'm bloody sure there used to be something to the right of Alerts. At least that answers that question.

LOL

:D

There's been a load of stuff removed or moved over the past few days.
Only one or two of them have been noticed...so far.

:D

There's been a load of stuff removed or moved over the past few days.
Only one or two of them have been noticed...so far.

Has something moved from the 'Alerts' area at the top right? It looks different, althought granted I have been awake since 5.30am and am currently zoning in and out of consciousness.

I just want to make it clear that these changes are all going to be stock functionality in the next release of the software, so I'm just getting ahead of the game a little.

Essentially I'm trying to get our custom design to match the out-of-the-box code as much as possible, which will make it so much easier to maintain going forward.

Oh, and I worked out the reason why the text editor button thing confused me so much. I remembered that I de-activated the rich text editor in preferences when we were trying to trouble shoot the problems I was having with my works system. It's back on now and all is well in the world.

The funniest thing about all this is the hour or so I blew away yesterday clearing cache, temp files, running scans and throwing wobbly's 'cos I thought my laptop was under attack! Which just goes to show that I trust CTA more than I trust my security software...

.... and always will, actually :D

I can't take any credit for it I'm afraid, it's stock in the next release of XenForo.

However, I would point out that the Log Out link in the nav bar did at least require confirmation, while the remaining link in the dropdown menu doesn't.

So, you may have noticed that staff now have a fetching shade of green on the message user info block to the left of the post content.

This has replaced the old green [Staff] banner which used to be displayed under the user name and title.

I am working on adding some sort of styling for those who have purchased account upgrades, to replace the old grey banners.

Back
Top Bottom