Silverstone relaunched

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
Silverstone unveiled its new layout today.

The circuit is now 5.901km long and features 10 right turns and 8 left turns.
The new Arena section is responsible for the extra 760m.

Despite the increased lap length, the lap time is only expected to be around 4 seconds slower due to the creation of two lengthy flat-out sections, the first running from Club corner to the first sharp right-hander of the new complex and the other being the National circuit straight – renamed Wellington Straight – on which top speeds are expected to match those on the 190mph Hangar Straight.

The 2 attached images show the new (left) and old (right) layouts.
Click for larger versions.

Attachments

• 2009.png
    2009.png
    264.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 2010.png
    2010.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 151
Looking at the two layout diagrams it would seem that the start/finish line is still in the same place as it was before which sugests that the new pits complex and start finish line are not going to be used just yet.

cider_and_toast said:
Looking at the two layout diagrams it would seem that the start/finish line is still in the same place as it was before which sugests that the new pits complex and start finish line are not going to be used just yet.

As i understand it the new pit complex is next years project although the ground work for pit entry / exit has been completed so events can still take place using the old pit / paddock area while the work is done.
Will be interesting to see the finished product!

Cheers Slick :thumbsup:

The other thing I think is interesting is that the profile of Abbey as it would be as corner 1 is not that far off the profile of Copse as the current corner 1. It's interesting that they have resisted the temptation to make it tighter.

Nice observation there C_a_T i hadn't noticed that one, will make for an interesting flat out sweep to the scene of the first accident LOL

I does look though like they may have reprofiled slightly between Vale and Club.

Sorry to be a miserable git but I just can't get excited about any changes to Silverstone :( A phrase involving a purse made of silk and the ears of a sow springs to mind...

Is there a topographical map (wow, big word for a Thursday afternoon :D ) anywhere or have they just laid these new bits of road on the boring flat aerodrome where all the other bits of tarmac were put before :disappointed:

p.s. are the blue bits on the map water hazards? That would spice things up a bit - Legard "Oh my word, Hamilton has shoved Webber off into the Hangar pond."

FB said:
p.s. are the blue bits on the map water hazards? That would spice things up a bit - Legard "Oh my word, Hamilton has shoved Webber off into the Hangar pond."

MB: But the Red Bull will be able to recover because it seems to be a hovercraft. We'll get reaction from Red Bull later.

[AFTER RACE]

JH: Christian, we saw your car hover over the water hazard earlier in the race. Can you clarify the situation regarding your hover system?
CH: We don't have a hover system.
EJ: Yes you do, my pitlane spies told me so
DC: And we saw it.
CH: You didn't see anything, there is no hover system
JH: OK, Lee McKenzie is with Mark Webber

LMc: Is there a hover system on your car?
MW: Yes

JH: How can you deny it now?
CH: There is no hover system on our car.
RB: (for some reason) Back in our Ferrari days, we had a hover system. It was legal at the time of course.

BE: We retired the fan car. In my day, if you cheated to win a race you just brought your old car back for the next one and everyone would forget it.
[...]

I should have bought shares in a tarmac company by the looks of it. Never mind an ex-RAF base, it's going to be giving Heathrow a run for its money on the acres-of-empty-asphalt-stakes before long.

Abbey corner looks exciting.

But why is there so much tarmac, why can't it be grass or something

No, you guys listen... it's got undulations! :victory:

Mark Webber:
” The new section looks like it has a mix of high speed corners and a more technical section. It’s also undulating, so a good mix all round and it should suit the Red Bull car.”

Hmmm, undulations... I think those are what you find in your back garden or at the circuit in Mexico City as a result of tectonic plate movements! I was hoping for elevation changes such as you get at Spa, Brands, Laguna Seca, Interlagos etc.. Difficult in an area as flat as Silverstone I know.

The alternative is not to monkey about with slight undulations but make it flat and super quick - hang on, that's the old Silverstone circuit...

9 metres! Might cause you to puff a bit on a bike but I doubt a 750bhp F1 car will even notice it. Damn you Donington, where's a British GP circuit we can get excited about?

FB said:
9 metres! Might cause you to puff a bit on a bike but I doubt a 750bhp F1 car will even notice it. Damn you Donington, where's a British GP circuit we can get excited about?

Brands Hatch?

Brands Hatch, if only

I believe they sold off a load of land around Brands for private housing and then the miserable b#stards who bought houses next to a motor racing circuit complained about the noise! Also, Brands is very narrow compared to most modern circuits, how would the drivers cope without run off areas twice the size of the track? :givemestrength:

Edit: found this link http://www.sevenoaks.gov.uk/environment/nuisance_and_noise/3273.asp

Two more images of the new circuit.

Click for biggies.

Attachments

• silverstone_aerial.jpg
    silverstone_aerial.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 95
  • silverstone_aerial_circuit.jpg
    silverstone_aerial_circuit.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 94
Back
Top Bottom