Safety Car Restarts

Vettel was warming his brakes, at the same time Button was warming his tyres.

As a result the closing speed was a lot higher between those two than it would normally be during a SC restart.

All cars go through cycles of brake and tyre warming, to avoid issues when they are back up to full speed.
Stating cars should maintain a minimum speed wouldn't allow them to warm the brakes up.

Perhaps following drivers should be more circumspect and adopt a staggered formation?

I don't think anyone suggested he did it to mess with Button but it was a bloody ridiculous thing to do and it wasn't only Button that nearly got caught out...

And anyway it isn't a question of more rules there are already rules to govern this sort of behaviour only the stewards chose not to enforce them for one reason of another...

It could have been a very nasty incident indeed.

I don't think Vettel's old problem of turning right was meant in any way to cause a collision, unfortunately it took two for Seb to modify his behaviour despite his competitors nearly visiting a wall a few times. He's not a malicious driver and in fact has improved massively I think in terms of racecraft over the last year.

Until I know what the point of it was I don't think it should be something that is ignored. A warning/reprimand will suffice in this instance.

Edit: Okay Brogan raises a good point. Stopping distances maybe

Not according to Button Brogan he thought that Vettel had gone and so put his foot down to keep in touch, like he said at the time as far as he was aware the rules are once the lead driver becomes the pace car and he goes that's it you go....

Not according to Button Brogan he thought that Vettel had gone
Quite clearly he hadn't.

I don't profess to know what the solution is; due to the operating temperatures required, the brakes and tyres must be warmed up before the restart otherwise there would be all sorts of problems at the first corner.

This isn't the first time Vettel has had "controversy" with a restart. I know brake checking is considered a "strategy", but there needs to be some sort of regulation in place. Maybe they need to adopt a more American rule and have the cars wait until the green flag drops? (not two wide though)

That would put the marshals at more risk and would give them less time per lap to clear the circuit.

Perhaps they should have designated tyre and brake warming zones in the last part of the lap?

I remember Button did it in Shanghai 2010 and nothing was made of it, infact that was worse as it nearly caused a pile up!

It is dangerous, but the brakes and tyres need heating up so I'm not sure what can be done, as they will always be the excuse "the driver behind should pay more attention" etc.

Unless they get rid of the leader becoming the pace car and wait for the safety car come right into the pits, then go.

Weaving doesn't generate as much heat as wheel spinning.

It's the same reason why all the drivers have a set sequence to go through as they come to the end of the warm up lap before the race, usually involving two or three tyre and brake warming sequences.

Unless they get rid of the leader becoming the pace car and wait for the safety car come right into the pits, then go.

That wouldn't work because the tyres and brakes wouldn't be up to optimum operating temperature and would cause problems at the first corner.

Back
Top Bottom