Current Robert Kubica

He's fast, Polish and a bloody brilliant racer. To me Kubica is a special talent and has been very unlucky to not find himself in a top team yet.

The thing i like about Kubica is that he's a trier and never gives in say if he was third and had a sniff of second he'd go and chase the second place man down. He's a much toned down version of Lewis Hamilton IMHO he's great at overtaking (Austrailla 2009) exception and if he was in a better car i think he'd a won more races than the current 1 he stands at.

Kubica made his F1 debut at the Hungrian GP in 2006 replacing the injuried Jacque Villeneuve for BMW Sauber. He'd outqualified teammate Nick Heidfeld at the time and finished the race in 7th place only to be DSQ for been under weight. Since Kubica's first and only Pole Position came at the 2008 Bahrain GP, that same season he'd broke his winning duck and won his current and only race in Canada. Kubica has stood on the podium 12 times and in his 76 race he's scored a total of 273 points.

Sad news broke eariler in the year (2011) that Kubica had been involved in a Rally competition and crashed, his life was said to be in the balance, but he's slowly recovering from nasty injuries he substaned in the accident. It remains to be seen whether Kubica will return to motor-racing. But for me Kubica is a talented driver and if we do see him back on the grid i'd be over the moon.

Whether you like him or not Kubica is a cool guy and one that i'd like to see become Champion if he return's to the sport.

How do you rate Kubica?

I was optimistic originally...and remain so. Realistically speaking, this is a very tough driver era with a bunch of great drivers either in or about to go into their Prime.

In a weaker driver era, Raikkonen would be on the grid as an instance.

What does that have anything to do with anything? Well, Kubica would have a better chance of coming back more successfully if the competition wasn't so stiff.

His Ace is that Renault don't have an Ace.

...So he might come back and have such a poor car we won't be able to tell if its him who's lost speed or not!

Well if he comes back this year or even next, he'll have no choice but to be in a Renault.

Also, Poor car or no Poor car, he still can be benchmarked in relation to Petrov (who has, by all accounts, improved over his rookie year. Whether that's due to him getting better treatment in relation to the treatment he was getting as a Number 2 to Kubica in 2010 is another matter.)

Cheers.

Have to be careful with benchmarking against other drivers though. You have to assume a drivers skills are consistant from one season to another and as you know there not!

I get your meaning though Ray - just think even if he comes back Kubica might have found that F1's moved on and might never find his way up to that top end drive. Guess we'll see

So the doctors are saying that he "could" sit in a simulator next month. I don't see him coming back and being competitive, I simply don't.

Based on what?
Well, if we take it that the difference between the most competitive drivers in F1 is, for sake of argument, 1%, just from basic biomechanics his hand is not going to be the same as it was. Further, in F1 the driver doesn't have steering wheel anymore, he has an entire QWERTY keyboard to put up with. As I've said before, I believe he can race again in formulas where playing with the wheel is not necessary, but I fear F1 is over. I hope I'm wrong, I really do, I just don't see it.

QWERTY keyboards have everything to do with the mind and much less to do with the hand. It's not as if his thumb and four fingers have been severed off...

As long as the brain can make the thumbs and fingers react fast enough, then that's the key.

Vision and the brain are key,

As long as the brain can make the thumbs and fingers react fast enough, then that's the key.

Having suffered some significant soft-tissue injuries in the past I have to totally disagree with you. IMO you're never completely the same again, regardless of how well your mind works. Its not reaction anyway, its finesse that ends up lacking.

Its not reaction anyway, its finesse that ends up lacking.
Fully agree.

I cut my hand and 3 fingers on one of those thick, obscure small (30cm square) panes of glass found in some internal doors.
Although the cuts didn't sever any tendons, nerves, etc. and they are on the back of my fingers, I don't have the same mobility or range of movement with them as I do with my other hand.

...he has a thumb missing.

What? :o

Are you frikkin' serious, Bro? :nah:

What and why would Salo know anything? :no:

Also the Finnish language is a complete animal unto itself and has nothing in common with the Germanic, Slavic, Latin and other Nordic languages. Must be something 'lost in translation'

I simply don't believe it...Unless they just amputated.

Is there a link?

I did see a comment saying that there was a sudden significant setback in the summer, if it is true then it could be that. Dependant on the level of associated damage he could opt to have his thumb replaced by a big toe, I've heard of that before. What a nightmare if its true.

Mika salo has also said that he has "fingers" and a "thumb" missing...

That is news to me...why is he the only one to come out to say such a thing while Kubica and everyone else says he might be back? :s

I stand by my previous comment that the Finnish language is a language apart and there's something lost in translation.

Renault would have said something. Instead they've said nothing.

Renault would have said something. Instead they've said nothing.
Equally they may feel that any announcements on his condition, especially one that would likely shut down his career, should come from Kubica. Not disagreeing with you per se, but there are a number of possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom