Races Entered 107
Race Wins 15
Pole Positions 20
Fastest Laps 12
Driver World Championships 1
Constructor World Championships 1

Team History

Before Red Bull

In 1997 Paul Stewart, aided by his father Jackie and the Ford Motor Company, made the leap from F3000 to F1 as an entrant. Jonny Herbert won 1 race for the Stewart team before it was sold off to Ford who re-branded the cars as Jaguar.

Ford stuck with it through thick and thin (mainly thin) through to the end of 2004 before selling the team to Dietrich Mateschitz, who owns the Red Bull drinks brand, for $1 on the understanding he invested $400 million over 3 years

Red Bull Racing

With Christian Horner installed as team principal, McLaren refugee David Coulthard and Christian Klien as the drivers Red Bull went racing. Their first season was certainly more successful than Jaguar had managed, even with the same Cosworth power plant, with Coulthard managing a 4th place at the European Grand Prix and the team finishing 7th in the Constructors Championship.

Adrian Newey joined from McLaren as chief designer for 2006 and Red Bull swapped to Ferrari engines. Coulthard managed a podium at his "home" race in Monaco prompting Christian Horner to jump naked, other than wearing a red cape, into a swimming pool.

Christian Klien, who shared the car with Vitantonio Liuzzi in 2005 and Robert Doornbos in 2006, departed the team for 2007 and was replaced by Mark Webber. The RB3 was the first full "Newey" car and was coupled with a Renault motor. The car was very unreliable, suffering from a variety of different problems but Webber managed a podium at the European Grand Prix and the team finished 5th in the WCC.

Retaining the same engine and drivers for 2008 Red Bull slipped back to 7th in the WCC and again only managed a single podium, for Coulthard in Canada, but the reliability issues which plagued the car the previous season were mainly resolved.

2009 was Red Bull's break through year. With Coulthard having retired Webber was joined by Red Bull junior driver Sebastien Vettel. The new rules allowed Newey to design a car which challenged for both the Drivers and Constructors Championship. Webber won 2 races, Vettel 4 and the team climbed to 2nd in WCC taking 3 pole positions en-route.

In 2010 Red Bull justified Mateschitz's investment winning the Constructors title and Vettel the Drivers Championship. They won 9 races through the season, 5 for Vettel and 4 for Webber and took 10 poles. Webber led the title race for much of the season but it was the 23 year old Vettel who stole the title in the last race of the season and became the youngest Champion as a result.

2011 sees the team retain the same driver line up as 2010 and continue with Renault engine power in the new RB7 car.

Sounds to me like someone's agent has used a connection at an F1 website to keep their driver talked about in the press

I know I hammered gasly but he is up against the toughest teammate in F1 currently & 1 of toughest I can remember. but there is no upside to this

red bull.png

it sort of unsurprising but surprising news. as its unsurprising that Gasly's dropped as much as I have sympathy for him as his teammate is Verstappen who with Hamilton are the 2 best drivers on the grid. it was coming you just cant be lapped by teammate twice in last 4 races or 5pts clear of Sainz in McLaren when your teammate in 7pts behind Bottas. I cant blame Red Bull because they have been more patient than normal. im probably harsh but I stick with what I said in febuary he got that drive because there was no one else & on the back of 2 good races Bahrain & Hungary

but its surprising because I thought he would last season or it would be Kyvat because they risk ruining a great poteinal talent in albon. I though they go for expierence of Kyvat

Thing is, the impression I've got from Albon is that he's been fast, but accident prone, Gasly hasn't been fast.

The old adage of "you can make a fast driver reliable, but you can't make a reliable driver fast" is at play here.

To be fair F1Brits_90 Red Bull know what Kvyat is capable of, they're giving Albon the nod to see what he can do in the car before they decide who should partner Max next year. I can see the logic but I'd still be gutted if I was Daniil. Maybe they are putting Albon in that car too soon, only time will tell on that.

Thing is, the impression I've got from Albon is that he's been fast, but accident prone, Gasly hasn't been fast.

The old adage of "you can make a fast driver reliable, but you can't make a reliable driver fast" is at play here.

sobriety I had only heard that adage used for F1 cars before, not drivers. I guess it works for both.

Except that isn't the old adage.

Might get worse for Gasly come the end of the year because I think Vips will get that Toro Rosso seat.

I'm surprised as I thought they'd give Gasly a full year.

well we all know what happened the last time someone got demoted & gasly has got the perfect teammate to talk to. but this will be making or breaking of him because we all know the almost breakdown kyvat had under the scrutiny.

but its a amazing story for albon because 16 months ago im not saying doomsday scenario that his single seater career was over but he was a driver that doesn't have a budget & he got a 1 race deal at DAMS impressed enough to convince them to take talent over money. takes the next 3 poles & finishes 2nd in potentially 1 of the strongest seasons of F2. then 9 months without backing. he gets a Formula E drive & no offence you think here we go its another driver who has talent but not the money bird Frijns Da Costa Rosenquist (or luck when theyve made F1 Buemi Vergne Di grassi) who will slip through the F1 net. then he gets the Toro Rosso drive now hes in Red Bull. warms the heart that in increasing times where size of wallet is more important that talent does win sometimes

kubica must be really helpful in development & set up. but we don't see that or if im being harsh brings alot of revenue to the team

Why would Ocon want to go drive a Williams at the back of the grid and risk being shown up by George Russell and losing his possible seat at Merc? Lots for him to lose, not much for him to gain.

See I hadn't looked at it that way, darn your logic and good sense ;)

Last edited:
i dont get this. if your performing at any top level sport your going to get pressure & if you cant handle it. tough. that is elite sport, like woods at the masters, Liverpool in champions league final, Federer at Wimbledon, Lewis at Mercedes, South Africa in rugby

Back
Top Bottom