QWC14

The Rosberg and Hamilton lines are quite interesting.

They are more or less parallel, except for this bit:
upload_2014-11-9_1-55-17.png

Prior to those few GPs, Hamilton was consistently ahead, afterwards he was consistently behind.
Those few GPs decided it.

The four races in question being: Austria (2pt - time deleted in Q3), Great Britain (8pt - wet weather error), Germany (0pt - spin in Q1) and Hungary (0pt - engine in Q1).

Thus he scored 10 points to Rosberg's 90.

As is obvious, if you want to maintain positions in a Championship in which double points are awarded in the last race, don't get chucked out of it...

Yes, Red Bull have been excluded from qualifying, and thus score nowt.

Error.png

So, broadly because Ricciardo scored nothing, Bottas finishes 3rd. Massa leaps Vettel and Alonso as well, while Kvyat also used double points to excellent effect, leaping Hulkenburg.

Error.png

I mean, it is just absolutely hilarious, isn't it? Williams take an unlikely second place due to Red Bull's liberal interpretation of the rules. Ferrari hold off McLaren and Toro Rosso definitively pull away from the Force. Mercedes win by a margin best described as huge.

Here is the chart showing each drivers' points in the two "championships".
tmp.png

So the raw data:
tmp.png

And constructors:
tmp.png

Interestingly, almost all of the gaining across a race distance came from two constructors (Red Bull and especially Force India), with McLaren and Mercedes both having a huge split in favour of their British driver. Red Bull will be both hoping and suspecting that Kvyat's figures are due to him overqualifying the car, because both Toro Rossos did fall back in race trim, with Vergne suffering significantly less (securing almost three-quarters of his qualifying points).

To answer Brogan's question, and perhaps of interest to racecub. What happens if we remove Hamilton's stretch of poor results in qualifying from Austria to Germany?

Brogan is certainly right that those races decided it, but Rosberg still won with a magnificent 2 point double Dhabi lead. Everyone else was removed from this graph.
Error.png

Then again, that doesn't matter!

I apologise, Austria to Hungary. This was in response to a post from Brogan which I elected to investigate.

Frankly, the whole QWC doesn't matter, so perhaps those searching for information whose purpose is more than academic curiosity would be better off elsewhere.

Well I don't understand the scoring system so I'm not in position to judge, I meant no offence by my post, I just thought that if you are going to analyse something then it can only be done on the facts or results adding what ifs into the equation makes no sense and only serves to demean the original intent..

Last edited:
Interesting that although Button finished ahead more often in quali, he still did not get as many "Points" , looks mostly due to Australia and Germany.

Are there any other teams where something similar happened?

I don't believe so for 2014, although somewhere down the line it must have happened. This is quite similar to 2012 where for an equivalent of 81 Hamilton points in 5 races (Monaco, Canada, Europe, Yeongam and Austin), Button scored 3 points, and that is to disregard the fact that Button went out in Q2 in Barcelona when Hamilton was on what probably would have been pole anyway.

Error.png

I suppose though, if you die by the sword, it is possible that you once lived by it:
Error.png

Back
Top Bottom