Poll Qualifying Rules - Should changes be made?

How could qualifying be improved/made more fair?

• Total voters
They could keep the rule similar to what they now or a combo of a few suggestions. example: The drivers start on the tires they used in Q2, so then in Q3 the 10 really go for pole on an extra set of tires. Knockout qualifying is a great concept, but when guys aren't going for pole, that loses a lot of its flare.

This one seems like a no-brainer to me. Give the Q3 contestants an extra set of tires to thrash around on (Pirelli already said this is not an issue), and then let them choose their race tire when they've sorted out who is fastest over one lap.

Monaco showed once again that you can quite easily steal a march on the competition by not running in Q3. Obviously this is not the best way to win races, but it does put you in the proverbial driver's seat for a good result, without doing ANYTHING/COCKING UP in Q3?!?!?!

The only one that I think would actually make a difference is penalising drivers who don't set a Q3 time.
"If you don't set a time you start from the back" is my view and I mean the back, not just the back of the Q3 drivers.

I voted for 2. for that reason.

I also voted for 3. because
a) as it stands it discriminates against those that have earned their place in Q3 relative to those (11th, 12th, etc.) that failed to make it, and
b) because those 11th, 12th and so on are rewarded for their failure to make it into Q3 by having fresh boots at the start of the race relative to those that beat them in Quali but who have to go out on knackered rubber.

That Q3 rules need to change is beyond dispute as - sooner or later - no one is going to set a time in Q3, perhaps as early as the upcoming Canadian GP. If under-fuelling is rightly deemed sufficient cause to demotion to the back of the grid then surely deliberately not setting a time is also cheating and the same punishment is in order.

soccerman17 Correct. A way to handle this might be to say "OK, don't do fast lap in Q3 then, but anyone who doesn't do a lap in Q3 within 2 seconds of their Q2 time has their least-damaged set of tyres removed for the race".

And just a note back to my personal rants, all the options have largely been about tyres, I really want DRS blocked from qualification, or at a minimum only allowed in the DRS zone(s).

how about in Q3

If a time is not set within 107% of pole time then the driver will be put on the back of the grid

or you must do a run using both sets of tyres to stop this tyre saving strategy:chuffed:now why did not i think of that earlier

The poll will stay open, but no one has voted for a while now so I'll quickly summarise the views of CTA! Firstly, a total of 53 people voted in the poll, pretty decent number but maybe not enough to force Bernie to change anything just yet!

• The people have spoken, and we want change! 9/10 people who voted would like to see at least one of the three suggested changes made to the qualifying rules.
pie.PNG
  • Now starting to break things down in to categories, the most popular rule change that people wanted was extra tyre sets for qualifying (generally an extra set for the Q3 drivers), with 32/53 people (60%) choosing this option. Removing the rule that the top 10 must start on the tyre they qualified on was not far behind, with 27 votes (51%). It still surprises me that relatively few people were behind the idea of giving penalties to drivers who didn't complete a competitive time in a session, as this would seem like a simple and effective change to make, but only 15/53 people (28%) voted for this option.
4bar.PNG
  • Finally, let's break things down in to the specific selections that people made. The most popular combination was to have extra sets of tyres for qualifying, as well as removing the rule that the top 10 start on the tyre they qualified on (15/53 people). Simply just having extra sets of tyres was not too far behind in 2nd place, with 11/53 people. The least popular options were the three possible combinations including penalties for drivers, with 2 or 3 votes each.
multibar.PNG
The End. :)

Nice, sushifiesta, is there a final consensus blending the above with DRS? I'm personally of the opinion that Bernie's been pressing refresh every five minutes and sweating over the result, but that's just me. ;)

I didn't vote because what I wanted to change wasn't in the options. It['s in my first post though: either everyone starts the race on the tyres they set their fastest time, or no-one does.

either everyone starts the race on the tyres they set their fastest time, or no-one does.

I think that is kind of implied in "The Top 10 Rule" selection, as I can't imagine anybody in the final shootout would want to start on used tires. Therefore, everyone would start on new rubber. (Well, it's almost rubber....)

I did say last year get rid of the DRS when Red Bull kept getting pole positions

Now after the incident with Schumacher's Mercedes I think that is plenty of ammunition to do it now especially if a car spins dangerously with the wing open
BUT I do feel Red Bull will lose out because of it

Back
Top Bottom