Poll Qualifying Rules - Should changes be made?

How could qualifying be improved/made more fair?

• Total voters
I do not see the point in qualifying tyres what does it matter if poll position is a manufactured 2 seconds faster than it would have been, in fact there is an argument against qualifying tyres.

What if a team that would normally start 8th or 9th their car just happened to come alive on a set of qualifiers and a normal front running teams car just didn't work with them in race set up we would end up with the same team always on pole which on pace alone just shouldn't be there.

Or a team just sets it's car up just to get pole and bugger the race I seem to remember a team doing just that in the start on your qualifying fuel days by fuelling light to get pole and pitting so early that they usually ended up outside the points.

No its penalise drivers for not setting a completive time in Q3 for me it's simple and requires nothing more than a slight rule change which makes it cheap to introduce just a bit of admin cost I should think, it could easily be brought in for the next race in fact..

I'll try and remember to post a summary of the results after Montreal. I'm relatively surprised that there seems to be little support for the idea of giving out penalties if a driver doesn't set a time, but lets see how things progress. It certainly seems that the majority want some sort of change.

They had this discussion as part of FOTA with the FIA and Pirelli at the end of last season but guess what the teams thought this was okay .

If one of the leading teams starts winning races doing this tactic then they will be jumping up mad to change it you watch

again suggestions of quali tyres has been put aside I guess the only way this will change is if Bernie says to Pirelli make quali tyres

The whole idea of changing the rules in the first place was to stop teams from sitting in the pits waiting for better track conditions and now it seems it is okay for teams to sit in the pits to save tyres..

Am I the only one who can see the irony in this? :twisted:

Mephistopheles
Every one can see it but they won't change it until I bet you if one of main drivers starts winning regularly with the tactic and they all will jump up for quali tyres or insist they set a time within 107% of the pole man

Just leave it. The people who havent set times have moved up positions but havent been able to score podiums. So it opens up interesting strategy options and makes teams think about how well they could run in Q3 and where there race could go from there vs not setting a time and having fresh tires.

How about option 5: just give them decent, durable tyres in the first place and then 1, 2, 3 and 4 wouldn't be necessary.

It would also improve Sundays too, by allowing racers to race rather than being forced to conduct a ridiculous 78 lap exercise in tyre 'management', there would be less tyre debris all over the track giving better grip and more options for attacking drivers to take alternative racing lines, and the cars wouldn't look like Liquorice Allsorts when they come off the track at the end of the race.

Please Note: this is not intended as a slight on Pirelli in any way; they have fulfilled their brief admirably and I have defended them elsewhere against such criticism. But I think the organisers have gone too far down the wrong road.

BRING BACK PROPER TYRES!

I think I've said this on another thread so apologies if I'm repeating myself. If I had paid lots of money to watch qualifying I would expect that to include the current world champion making a bid for pole position. To deliberately sit out a session when there is nothing wrong with car or driver shows a base contempt for the fans. it assumes we 'won't notice' or won't mind being short-changed.
I would be quite harsh and anyone who didn't set a time (that was capable of setting a time) would be sent tot the back of the session the had set a time. if someone sits out Q3 then send them to the back of Q2 so they definitely don't gain an advantage.
Someone (sorry I've forgotten who!) suggested taking away a set of tyres as punishment - good idea.
Whinge over!

How much do two sets of P-Zero rubber cost specifically and only set aside for Q3 qually runs ?

Though a stop gap solution to larger tyre "issues", this would solve the immediate problem rather than permit the creation of another set of penalties to be levied against the drivers... give it a few more years and you will see the graphic just as Q3 closes "Alonso given 5 grid spot penalty for failing to kiss Ecclestone signet ring on Thursday check-in"...

I do not see the point in qualifying tyres
I think there's some semantics that need straightening out, there is a difference between 'special qualifying tyres', and 'additional normal tyres' that can only be used for qualifying. I don't believe in having special rubber just for qualifying, but I do believe that extra sets of the approved tyres should be available for qualifying to encourage proper participation in qualification.

Agreed Mezzer... whichever is the softer of the two compounds for the weekend... just give each driver in Q3 a couple of sets and see what happens... once Q3 over, tyres to be discarded and not permitted for use on Sunday...

Pirelli might make specific q3 qualifying tyres only for anyone who gets into Q3 and I'd think force them to do timed laps

Just give those who get into Q3 an extra set of the softer tyre.

I don't actually mind the current state of things. Those who think they have a chance for a pole or top 3 will always do a quick lap. Bear in mind, that 5 of the 6 races have been won from the front row.

That is not the point the teams and the drivers are there to provide entertainment and I am not being entertained by someone sitting in the garage am I? And worse still they get an advantage from doing sod all.

If that's the case why not do away with qualifying altogether and just start the cars in the positions they finished the last race in. or do like they do in formula two's race two and have the top eight in reverse grid order from the previous race.

That is not the point the teams and the drivers are there to provide entertainment and I am not being entertained by someone sitting in the garage am I? And worse still they get an advantage from doing sod all.

To me it's entertaining to see different strategies in qualis and races. It's pretty much the same if 7 drivers set a fast time in q3 or 10 drivers.

And race is the main thing in a Grand Prix weekend, not the qualifying.

Back
Top Bottom