Qualifying Can it be Improved..

HammydiRestarules

By the time the first and last runner complete their laps there will have been a considerable time difference. As we saw in China even a couple of minutes was enough so that runners couldn't improve upon their times due to track temprature change, moreover there are other conditions which could also come into play such as a dry track that may become wet or vice versa. That system simply isn't fair, all the drivers should have the same opportunity and therefore should all set their laps at the same time.

I probably should apologize before I even start as this may be the longest posting on this topic but I need to explain my reasons.
I'm also a fan of keeping Q1 and Q2 as they are, then having a shootout for the top 10. Reasons? One of the great spectacles in motorsport is seeing any one of the worlds top drivers, with the track to himself, striving for perfection, trying to achieve that one error free perfect lap. But we're denied seeing it. The problem with the current system is, although that's exactly what they're trying to achieve, we never see it. How often do we hear the commentator say for example, Alonso has been very quick through the first sector but has run a little wide in turn seven, but we didn't see it! Or Hamilton's on track for pole and has had a wonderful middle sector, but we didn't see that either! The current system is so disjointed as the cameras chop and change between drivers laps, we never see one complete lap from any of the drivers in Q3. I'd like to see Q3 as a top 10 shootout where the drivers complete two runs. They draw for their running order then to keep things absolutely fair reverse the running order for their second run. Reversing the running order provides every driver with an equal chance for pole regardless of the starting order you draw. Imagine if Hamilton drew No.1 in the running order, puts in a very good lap but gets bettered by the last runners as the track improves, then in the reverse order, instead of being first he's the final driver to run when the track is at its best, bearing in mind it was at its worst during his first run. Imagine it, one of the world's leading drivers striving for the perfection of an error free lap, all of us knowing what he has to achieve to take pole, and us as viewers, being given the privilege of watching his entire lap. As I say, one of the truly great spectacles in motorsport.
There is one problem, television probably needs to squeeze qualifying into a one hour package. Easily solved. Start the coverage with a 15min highlight package to give us an overview of what happened in Q1 and Q2 then give three quarters of an hour of live coverage to the two runs of the top 10 shootout. We'd be given the privilege of seeing every drivers complete runs, each one striving for that perfect lap, instead of the disjointed coverage the current system gives us.
Rain can be an issue but it is under the current system also. This is not ideal but it's surprisingly fair. If it rains, disadvantaging the later runners, red flag the session and determine the top 10 grid positions based on their current placings in the championship in relation to one another. It's used in the States with no complaints from the drivers because it is fair and leaves no one at a disadvantage, and it's quite rare for rain to interrupt qualifying so rarely needs to be used.

Or do one run in Q3, and instead of drawing lots each driver/team picks their slot with the fastest in Q2 getting first pick. Therefore, if you are disadvantaged its your own fault.

teabagyokel - Or the fault of a driver that baulked you in Q2. I just love the spectacle of seeing the entire lap as great drivers give the very best they're able, and that's not what we're currently seeing.

What about the lower teams down the grid who are already struggling to attract sponsors? This would really hurt them as much of the television time they recieve on a Grand Prix weekend comes at the end of Q1.

I also dislike the idea of drivers doing laps at different times, it just seems unfair to me.

no-FIAt-please........Q1 and Q2 still exist in their current formats and considering most attention is focused on the potential top ten, a highlights package could possibly give them better coverage.

By having two runs in the top ten shootout (did you not read my posting) the second with reverse starting order, the shootout for pole is completely fair with no driver receiving an advantage, the aggregate of both runs deciding pole.

If I don't reply for a while this is why. :yawn: :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

The BBC are using highlights this year, how well was that recieved? A highlights package still misses 'unimportant' parts, often these parts are considered unimpoartant because they feature the lower teams.

Yes I did read your post. Even with the two runs there will still be a time difference (fairly small yes) between when different drivers set their times, but a small time difference is all it takes, as we saw in China. I also disagree with using aggregate times, qualifying is all about maximum speed on over one lap, the race is all about stringing together series (the race distance) of fast laps.

It's ok the way it is, just needs a few tweaks.

If you give the teams 2 sets of qualifying tyres on top of what they've already got then it could work. Q3 is really boring until the dying seconds.

Or the you get 12 laps like the old days, but it wouldn't be great for the spectacle.

And get rid of the "you start on the tyres you qualified on" for the top 10 rule

"really boring until the dying seconds" might be a bit of an exaggeration though. There's been a few times when pole-time was set early in the session, like Nico's in China for example.

I used to advocate a return to single-lap shootout, purely because it created more mixed grids and better races, even though the session itself was less exciting. With Pirelli on the case, now, however, I see no pressing need for change, except for the comparatively minor irritants of the miserly tyre allocation and carry-over rule.

I like the idea of a top ten shootout as Kewee suggests, being able to see the pole lap live every time would be lovely, but there are timing and equality problems there as others have pointed out. I don't think aggregate qualifying is a good idea at all.

My suggestion would be:
  1. Keep the current Q1/Q2/Q3 format
  2. Have distinct, unlimited (within reason) qualification tyres (but have the same options as the race tyres, i.e. don't have special qualifying tyres and don't have qualification tyres available for the race)
  3. Adjust the "start on the tyres you qualified on" to "start on the tyre option your fastest qualifying lap in final qualifying was on"
  4. Disable DRS for Q2/Q3 (do DRS calibration in Q1)

I like the current way but If I could invent my own then.....

I would have 1 continuous hour, with no breaks.

Any driver can go out and set as many laps as he likes at any point in the hour.

For the first 12 minutes, everyone is safe, no one can get knocked out. Then for the remaining 48 minutes the slowest driver on the board is knocked out and has his grid position every 2 minutes.

No use of DRS in qually

These are the qualifying rules and changes between 2003 and 2008 and in my opinion they were all rubbish.

2003: Drivers do a single low-fuel qualifying lap on Friday to determine running order for Saturday. On Saturday they set a lap with race fuel to determine their starting position.

2004: The two separate sessions are combined into one single session on Saturday. But there are concerns as some drivers try to use the low-fuel session to manipulate their starting position for the second, for example at Bahrain where some drivers post slow times and Michael Schumacher even fakes a spin so he can do his second lap earlier when the track will be dried.

2005: Another major overhaul: Drivers do a single low-fuel qualifying lap on Saturday and a race-fuel qualifying lap on Sunday morning. The times are then added together (aggregated) to give the starting order. The system proves hugely unpopular particularly with fans (most of whom don’t get to see Sunday qualifying) and the press (who can no longer publish the grids in Sunday newspapers because they haven’t been set) and is dropped after just six races.

2005, take 2: From round seven onwards drivers do a single lap with race fuel and go on track in the order set by their finishing position in the previous race.

2006: The current three-part knockout qualifying system is introduced, where batches of the slowest six drivers are knocked out in the first two parts as drivers set times with low fuel loads. They can change their fuel loads before the race starts, but the top ten (who set their final times with their race fuel loads) can’t.

To prevent drivers using rich mixture settings to burn off fuel in the final part of qualifying, the FIA require them to lap within a percentage of the pole time and introduce a complicated ‘fuel credit’ system to give them back the fuel they use in the third part of qualifying.

2007: To try and cut down on the amount of time drivers spend doing ‘fuel burn’ in the final part of qualifying the lengths of the sessions are changed. But it remains a problem and McLaren notably struggle to persuade their two drivers they are getting fair treatment on qualifying fuel strategies that at some venues (Monte-Carlo and Hungaroring) can determine the winner.

2008: Session times are changed again and drivers are prevented from refuelling after Q3, which gets rid of the ‘fuel burn’ problem. But at Malaysia the problem of drivers returning to the pits slowly after qualifying and obstructing other drivers on fast laps comes to the fore, and both McLaren drivers are docked five places. So…

2008, take 2: Now drivers have a maximum amount of time in which to return to the pits to prevent them baulking other drivers.

I'm still looking for all the changes made since 2009 up until the present day maybe someone could help me out.. I think in 2009 there were three twenty minute sessions with 12 cars in the final shoot out but on low fuel...

And the cut off point being 17th due to more teams being on the grid and the tyre rules have change in allocation several times I think, but basically it is the same..

Back
Top Bottom