Points system

Same here.

I hadn't realised at first that the ratio between 1st, 2nd and 3rd was the same so the actual results will be unchanged.

Still, good to know that nothing changes when it comes to F1 rules and regulations.

F1 is not just about the winners, though, its about the guys in the midfield as well. They've been given an incentive, rather than the crap we were debating last year that discounted any number >1!

Also, 10 seems a much more obvious number than 8 to stop giving points out imo, but all in all the new system is a good idea.

And it means Hamilton defeated Alonso in 2007 in the same car without a tie, so :snigger:

On the other hand, it gives those in 7th, 8th and 9th less to really race for - 22pts less than a win, or 23 pts less? Is it worth any extra bother?

Extending the points range devalues the points themselves. If F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, then it should be bloody hard to succeed. Minardi and Osella went year on year without scoring a point, but they kept going because they believed in themselves, and worked at it.

If the argument is "Team A can't attract sponsors without a points tally to show for it", then Team A isn't good enough to deserve sponsors, and therefore not good enough to enter.

Muddytalker said:
On the other hand, it gives those in 7th, 8th and 9th less to really race for - 22pts less than a win, or 23 pts less? Is it worth any extra bother?

It is where TV money is at stake.

Jez, do you think the Lotus, Toro Rosso, Campos, USF1 and Virgin teams will be thinking "well, we've lost 23 points to McLaren/Mercedes/Red Bull/Ferrari?" No, they'll be competing in their own mini-league and it is nice to see that a bit more meaning may be added to that particular fight!

teabagyokel said:
No, they'll be competing in their own mini-league and it is nice to see that a bit more meaning may be added to that particular fight!

That's exactly the point I was making! The points they pick up there will determine the overall finishing order of the championship and hence potentially some extra cash.

I may be losing the plot here, but I thought the no point/tie point order finishes were based on finishing order regardless of points. Admittedly one ninth place beat three tenth places where no points are involved, but I still thought that the positions in the table were what attracted the related cash rewards, and you're still going to have the same teams fighting for those ninth and tenth places, so I still believe this is fundamentally change for changes sake.

When all you do is multiply the points by 2.5 and then add some extra points that are too low down to effect the front runners it seems to just mean that the fans are going to be kept busy guessing the implication of points differences rather than watching what the other hand is doing.

I don't think it will all make sense (or lack of it) until we have a season of a new scoring system behind us, but after the last couple of years the one thing I seem to have learned is to mistrust anything that Bernie the Dolt instigates.

With some of the issues in F1 namely overtaking/excitement or lack of it compared with the years before schumacher, changing the point system doesn't actually change anything.

The powers that be when discussing rule changes should ask themselves:

• will it improve the sport for the fans.
    will it improve safety

If it doesn't then it should be filed in the bin.

This rule change will not increase overtaking, F1 drivers want to overtake, its the machinery underthem that doesn't.

Its the cars relience on aero bits that prevent them from getting in to the slipstream and the layout of some of the new tracks; that prevent overtaking.

The points could be changing again before the start of the season, and for the better this time.

Germany's Auto Motor und Sport and Finland's Turun Sanomat reported that, after the existing points system was amended in December, talks to implement yet another change are now taking place. The latest proposal would see 25 points for a win, 18 for second, 15 for third, with the rest of the positions down to tenth earning 12-10-8-6-4-2-1 respectively.
The gap between 1st and 2nd is now much larger (7) but the gap between 2nd and 3rd is the same as the gap between 3rd and 4th at 3 points, so there is still room for improvement.
Still, it's better than the current proposal.

Points system could face another overhaul

Moving in the right direction then.

There was talk on one F1 news website a few weeks ago that points for Fastest lap and Poll had also been discussed at the same meeting. I've not heard anything more about that since.

Points for Pole and fastest lap are an option now with cars running on empty in qualifying and with full tanks in race. With 2009 rules there would have been a lot of abuse, particularly in qualifying. However I personally am not that keen on it in 2010. One or two points may be all that's needed by one driver at or near the end of the season to rap up the championship and they may not even bother setting up for the race just fastest in qualifying and fastest lap of the race.

Points for fastest lap and poll, may add a bit more interest to the end of the season. With more points on the table it keep open the championship for longer, I know in recent years this hasn't been a problem, but its hard to justify family life around something that the final outcome is already known.

They should give it a try, it's a much better idea then Bernie's stupid medal system.

According to Autosport, 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 has been agreed upon by the teams.

They could go CTA Quiz style and introduce fractional points just to keep the mathematicians entertained!

10-7.5-6.5-5-4-3-2-1-0.5-0.25! Like the sound of it? (Joke, I wouldn't really want .25 of a point ever except in quartered races!

7 points between first and second, 3 points between second and third doesn't make any sense to me. :dunno:

It appears to totally devalue a podium finish. Anyone getting off to a flyer like Jenson did last season is going to be in a very good position unless his closest rival keeps on winning races. :thinking:

snowy said:
7 points between first and second, 3 points between second and third doesn't make any sense to me. :dunno:

They wanted a bigger gap between 1st and 2nd to try and encourage people to overtake instead of settling for 2nd or 3rd.

I agree with your point about it allowing somebody whose season gets off to a flyer to sit back and cruise the last half of the season though.

A good move, I think, but 19 for second would be better.

Surely it's more better to be 2nd than 3rd than 3rd than 4th...if you follow me...

Back
Top Bottom