Pirelli Tyres in 2011

But realistically they need to be increased, as the tyres seem to be hampering the event - which would go against the saving costs intention.

Personally I feel they need to increase the quotas, and make the hard tyres last a lot longer (and chuck the option in of running without a pitstop!).

Yep! The FIA quota rules (which were apparently to reduce costs for small teams, or help them to the same playing field) came in way before anyone was talking about changing the supplier, but when they knew Pirelli were to create high degradation tyres, the FIA still continued blind with their plan to reduce quotas that had been built around everlasting Bridgestones.

The FIA make no sense. <-- wisdom of the day

I don't think they do need to add a set of tyres, I just think they need a wider gap between the tyres. Let the prime tyre last longer and the option last as it is now. That way we will get some different strategies and some interesting results, we will also get some on treack action that isn't quite so contrived.

You should be alright though, the quote you gave was in the 'preview', I could see it on the Autosport page without a subscription.

Anyway that sounds ridiculous - almost as if some drivers will have to deliberately not give 100% just so that they can preserve their tyres a little longer.

Maybe that is what Vettel is doing and why he was so close to the McLarens - perhaps had another ~0.4s within himself.

Proof that the new tyre rules are having a big impact, in a negative way.
Lewis Hamilton said he prioritised the race over qualifying in China after saving tyres in Q3.
"We are in quite a strong [tyre] position: the options I just qualified on, a new set of options and a new set of primes and a decent set of options as well," Hamilton said. "I just wanted to increase chances for the race because that is what counts."

Sigh...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90763

Does anyone else think Bridgestone might be kicking themselves for missing a trick over the last decade. The publicity that Pirelli are getting is amazing and i really doubt anyone cares that it is for making a tyre that degrade quickly.

Are these the famous marbles?

1258878079_m8J4xVf-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom