Paul di Resta

Just realised we don't have a thread on the young Scot and there's something I have to get off my chest but, first, here's some history.

A real sporting family, his cousins are the Franchitti brothers and his step father was Scottish footballer Dougie McCracken (no, I'd never heard of him either but he played for Ayr, Dunbarton and East Fife). As ever, started in karting before moving to Formula Renault with Manor Motorsport. He was Formula 3 Euroseries champion in 2006 before moving on to DTM.

With Mercedes backing he was lined up for a drive with Force India in 2009 but FI chose to continue with their '08 driver line up. As test driver in 2010 for FI di Resta finally secured a seat for the 2011 season alongside Adrian Sutil scoring points on his debut and having a highest finish to date of 7th in Hungary.

Anyway, as to my moan. At the pre-race interviews at Spa di Resta complained that he only qualified 18th as the team called him in telling him he was "safe" to get into Q2. Can someone explain why the drivers don't argue with their teams in these situations? He must have seen the track was drying and the grip improving so why doesn't he "grow a pair" and tell them he wants to carry on? It's all too easy to abdicate responsibilty, you're in the car mate, tell them what you think.

And relax...

I am surprised that there are no Brazilian sponsors but then there has been a lot of upheaval in the country and accusations of corruption of its former president for the once emerging economy

RasputinLives Considering a choice of Stroll or Wehrlein .. Williams have picked the safer of the two... Wehrlein seems to have already developed an unwanted reputation despite achieving very little to make him standout against the other youngsters on the grid

I'll say again some Mercedes young drivers seems to have this idea in their head that they have right to be in F1 by default associating with Mercedes and driving for a top team attitude without earning it

So an 18 year old who just won F3 is a safer option that a guy who has done numerous F1 junior tests and a full year in F1? Yeah. That's nuts.

Someone labelled Stroll the new Pastor Maldonado today on twitter- ouch ! Looks like Di Resta might get his chance sooner to get back in the car if it is a sign of things to come for poor Stroll

Dean Stuart Barnes (@Dean2020) on Twitter

andthomsonalex (@ialexthomson) on Twitter

Difference between Stroll and Wehrlein is at least Stroll is willing to listen to his engineers and not think he is bigger than the team which is Wehrlein's problem

Last edited:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I believe I may have to chow down on my headwear now after previous claims.

By the way it took 45 second of commentary before it was mentioned that Di Resta beat Vettel when they were team mates in Euro F3 and then got 4 more mentions after that.

RasputinLives - I think you're all right; I wouldn't describe him as having been given a race seat, just a reserve seat that came to fruition.

If he ever 'first-choice' to start a race on Friday morning, then it's hat time.

I also debate 'eye catching performance'. On short notice the guy deserves a pat on the back for how well he did but let's not get carried away. He was 35 seconds behind Lance Stroll when he retired which was the biggest gap between any team mates.

Thanks Taylor Swift.

I get it though I do not like him. I was trying to be objective though. I said trying, I didn't say succeeding.

I'll just zip it and watch from afar.

PdR doing the graphics for Sky Sports football now.

43624191_1898023230273330_7599139074795896832_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom