Paul di Resta

Just realised we don't have a thread on the young Scot and there's something I have to get off my chest but, first, here's some history.

A real sporting family, his cousins are the Franchitti brothers and his step father was Scottish footballer Dougie McCracken (no, I'd never heard of him either but he played for Ayr, Dunbarton and East Fife). As ever, started in karting before moving to Formula Renault with Manor Motorsport. He was Formula 3 Euroseries champion in 2006 before moving on to DTM.

With Mercedes backing he was lined up for a drive with Force India in 2009 but FI chose to continue with their '08 driver line up. As test driver in 2010 for FI di Resta finally secured a seat for the 2011 season alongside Adrian Sutil scoring points on his debut and having a highest finish to date of 7th in Hungary.

Anyway, as to my moan. At the pre-race interviews at Spa di Resta complained that he only qualified 18th as the team called him in telling him he was "safe" to get into Q2. Can someone explain why the drivers don't argue with their teams in these situations? He must have seen the track was drying and the grip improving so why doesn't he "grow a pair" and tell them he wants to carry on? It's all too easy to abdicate responsibilty, you're in the car mate, tell them what you think.

And relax...

oh dear well chances Di Resta will be back because I can't see how Massa is going to have a new lease of life knowing he's going to retire again this season

Unless Williams are seriously going to give him another retirement send off at Brazil and then let Di Resta make his only appearance in the car

T

I'll come and put the ketchup on for you. It would be most satisfying to watch after your years of persistent Di Resta bashing.

Last edited:
Formula 1: Williams launch new car for 2017 season

I don't know the ins and out of the Mercedes young driver programme but the ones that don't get the Merc F1 seat seemed to think its their right to be driving for Mercedes or a top team in F1 and have this attitude about them
Di Resta, recently Werhlein and to some extent Heidfeld as well

RasputinLives Williams always take the safe option when it comes to driver choices I would have thought they might keep a seat open for Bottas if he wants to return in 2018 if things don't go well at Mercedes

Last edited:
I just find it very strange that Williams would reinstate Massa rather than put di Resta in the seat. Maybe they feel they must have one driver who's an experienced Williams driver, although what good experience has done them I'm not sure.
But why choose Di Resta as reserve if they don't plan to use him, and is he just the reserve at the moment so that he can get some practice in, before Masa re-retires.

RasputinLives Safe enough to overlook the much rated but not so courteous Wehrlein and believe in their own driver

Titch Are not Williams backed by Bank of Brazil who no doubt want a Brazilian driver as part of pleasing sponsors?

The fact is Massa is not as good as the top drivers means really Stroll should get close and even trounce him to retirement. I am not sure if Felipe really wants to be remembered for that ?

Il_leone I'm confused. Can I check.we're on same page? You said Williams make 'safe' driver choices. I pointed out Williams have just gone for Lance Stroll, who by definition is not a safe choice and then you're suggesting Stroll is safer choice than Wherlein?

Titch Are not Williams backed by Bank of Brazil who no doubt want a Brazilian driver as part of pleasing sponsors?

Paul may whine, but I always felt that he would have done a better job for Williams than Felipe. The money that Felipe brought with Brazilian firms Petrobras, and Banco de Brazil may have played an important role in retaining Massa

Eh? Massa had retired and Williams planned to run Bottas and Stroll. Then Mercedes stumped up a load of cash (well, free engines anyway) to get Bottas so they asked Felipe to come back as they felt they needed continuity in the team. The decision to ask Massa to come back had stuff all to do with sponsors, he had gone long before the end of the season.

And the fact that Di Resta has already been Williams reserve driver for around 12 months now and they chose to ask Massa back rather than Di Resta to step up speaks volumes.

Back
Top Bottom