Paul di Resta

Just realised we don't have a thread on the young Scot and there's something I have to get off my chest but, first, here's some history.

A real sporting family, his cousins are the Franchitti brothers and his step father was Scottish footballer Dougie McCracken (no, I'd never heard of him either but he played for Ayr, Dunbarton and East Fife). As ever, started in karting before moving to Formula Renault with Manor Motorsport. He was Formula 3 Euroseries champion in 2006 before moving on to DTM.

With Mercedes backing he was lined up for a drive with Force India in 2009 but FI chose to continue with their '08 driver line up. As test driver in 2010 for FI di Resta finally secured a seat for the 2011 season alongside Adrian Sutil scoring points on his debut and having a highest finish to date of 7th in Hungary.

Anyway, as to my moan. At the pre-race interviews at Spa di Resta complained that he only qualified 18th as the team called him in telling him he was "safe" to get into Q2. Can someone explain why the drivers don't argue with their teams in these situations? He must have seen the track was drying and the grip improving so why doesn't he "grow a pair" and tell them he wants to carry on? It's all too easy to abdicate responsibilty, you're in the car mate, tell them what you think.

And relax...

... maybe he's on the the minds of the top teams, in as much as he's a bit of a worry.

Please don't let him take out our cars today when he crashes... sort of thing.
8-)

His ffs moments have come later than most. Usually they are at the beginning of a F1 career but are far more damaging 3 years in. He is 11th in the WDC, so not a complete disaster and could do infinitely better if he got a grip!

PDR has started every season well and ended it in poor form (Hulkenberg by the way has done the opposite). Could this be an inability to keep on form as the pressure rises or simply the fact his more favoured tracks are at the begining of the calender?

Who knows.

School reports spring to mind.

Lacks concentration. Could do better. ( Not that any of mine were like that, they were ALL brilliant! :whistle:)

To him always starting well and then finishing not as well?

Well I guess I could come round your house with my DVD reviews of the last two seasons but to be honest I think thats overkill when you can look at his results.

there is still an outside chance for Di Resta at Ferrari and Mclaren

but it depends on the circumstances with those drivers

I don'[t think Mclaren are bound to any Mexican sponsors are they to keep Perez... PDR could say he's ahead of Perez in the driver's championship still and use that at leverage

Certainlt if I was Mclaren then I would not mind a pairing of Button and Di Resta because it would basically be a potential shoot out to be in the team for 2015 alongside Alonso you'd think... That should be motivation for both drivers

I think DTM is more likely than Mclaren or Ferrari.

Why would Ferrari take him over Hulkenberg, Bianchi or Perez? All drivers they have connections with?

Why would Mclaren take him over Hulkenberg, Perez, Magnussen or Vandorne. Again links already.

Can't see it I'm afraid. Merc maybe but that would mean Rosberg had to go somewhere. Now maybe if Mclaren pinched Rosberg but even then I think Merc are more likely to go for Hulkenberg or Sam Bird.

Despite what Eddie Jordan says I just don't see this PDR move to a big team being forthcoming.

Reminds me of Timo Glock or Nick Heidfeld. They were always just about to move to a big team.

RasputinLives the only leverage Di Resta has to get into Mclaren is he is beating Perez in the driver's championship and maybe his manager who is also Jenson's manager can sweet talk Martin Whitmarsh

Remember he's tested for the team so they know he has ability

- Hulkenberg was ruled out by Mclaren a few weeks ago so don't think they will do a U turn on that , Magnussen and Vandorne are rookies and it aint Mclaren's style to throw them in at the deep end

- Ferrari - Bianchi already confirmed with Marussia - again Luca does not like throwing rookies into the Big Red Team, Perez is someone Luca does not rate despite those drives last year. I am not sure if Luca will go back to Hulkenberg now that latin temperament means he makes a spur of the moment decision

2008? They couldn't have been that impressed then as they've changed their driver line up twice since then and not come knocking on PDR's door.

Ferrari or Mclaren are only going to change their line ups at this short notice for something they think will dramaticlly change their fortunes and Di Resta isn't it.

As for if Alonso walks out on Ferrari to go to Mclaren (I guess thats whats being suggested) do you really think Ferrari will respond to that snub with a mundane signing like Di Resta? They'll splash out on Hulkenberg or draft in their flamboiant Frenchmen under the tag of 'star of tomorrow'

Di Resta is far too everyman.

RasputinLives If Alonso walks out of Ferrari then I think Button will walk out of Mclaren because Mclaren will have to pay more to buy out Alonso than Ferrari for Button so a swap agreement could happen that way

I should say Ferrari signed Eddie Irvine when there was other potential better drivers for the seat

--------------------------------------

2008 - a bit difficult to throw in Di Resta then when Mclaren had a water tight contract with Alonso and picking rookies is not within their policy but sending them to learn with a lower team like Force India is
----------------------------------------

The car / team is not helping PDR either.

Stranger things have happened in F1.. Di Resta can't be any worse than Perez

Ferrari signed Irvine because there were other drivers who had more potential, that way they could concentrate on their number one.

Button would not leave Mclaren if Alonso came. If anything I think he'd be more determined to stay.

Not sure what you mean about Alonso having a water tight contract with Mclaren in 2008. He'd already left the team by the time Di Resta tested.

As for Ferrari signing Irvine....Irvine was not signed to replace a superstar who'd just walked out on the team because he said they weren't good enough.

Back
Top Bottom