Paul di Resta

Just realised we don't have a thread on the young Scot and there's something I have to get off my chest but, first, here's some history.

A real sporting family, his cousins are the Franchitti brothers and his step father was Scottish footballer Dougie McCracken (no, I'd never heard of him either but he played for Ayr, Dunbarton and East Fife). As ever, started in karting before moving to Formula Renault with Manor Motorsport. He was Formula 3 Euroseries champion in 2006 before moving on to DTM.

With Mercedes backing he was lined up for a drive with Force India in 2009 but FI chose to continue with their '08 driver line up. As test driver in 2010 for FI di Resta finally secured a seat for the 2011 season alongside Adrian Sutil scoring points on his debut and having a highest finish to date of 7th in Hungary.

Anyway, as to my moan. At the pre-race interviews at Spa di Resta complained that he only qualified 18th as the team called him in telling him he was "safe" to get into Q2. Can someone explain why the drivers don't argue with their teams in these situations? He must have seen the track was drying and the grip improving so why doesn't he "grow a pair" and tell them he wants to carry on? It's all too easy to abdicate responsibilty, you're in the car mate, tell them what you think.

And relax...

He needs to be someplace better, I can only see that someplace being Lotus but I wouldn't drop my jaw if a Mclaren ride was the outcome.

I'm not sure what he's done to deserve either of those. I can't remember a race weekend recently where he hasn't dropped a howler at somepoint and he really threw away a 'career saver' with the error in Singapore.

I think his seat will depend on what happens in the driver merry go round. If the boys at Enstone go down the Massa/Nasr route then I think Di Resta will be ushered off in favour of a Hulkenberg return.

I'm pretty convinced that Nicholas Todt has sweet talked Force India into putting James Caledo in the othe FI seat already.

Di Resta already has a contract in place for 2014 with Force India but they will not stop him if he moves to a top team so that leaves Mclaren or Lotus

Even though he is one of the lowest paid drivers on the grid Force India don;t really want to pay him off unless someone comes in with substantial sponsorship to be fair

Sutil's position is not safe either and apparently Mercedes were responsible in getting him back so dont know how much of this is engine related

That status on his CV that he beat Vettel as his teammate in junior category seems a distant memory if he does not find a top drive

THE PAUL DI RESTA WHEEL OF BLAME

When Paul di Resta's performance could be described as poor if it was not for external factors, spin this wheel to find out which excuse misfortune has afflicted di Resta in the session where he has performed poorly been unfortunate:

TBY.png

Look is plainly clear that every other driver needs to get off the track when Paul is on a lap and if they don't its blatently unfair.

Has he ever mentioned he beat Vettel as a team-mate when he was in a junior formula? I'm surprised we don't hear about it more often.

Di Resta really isn't doing himself any favours. Having said that, although Di Resta is quickly convincing me that he isn't a particularly good driver I think there are plenty of drivers on the grid that are less deserving of a seat in the "pinnacle of motorsport" than he is. Also, his team mate has lost the plot on several occasions as well.

I think todays performance may have ended Di Resta's Korea (boom boom! Apologies to those in chat who heard me use that this morning).

I don't think either of Force India's drivers have covered themselves in glory this year and whilst I'm aware that the car has seriously slipped back down the field now days if you think back to the beginning of the season they both should have scored higher then.

I think Force India will be looking around and Sutil will be for the exit first but Di Resta's position will be decided on who is around. I think he'll be safe. But if Toto Wolff/Merc pushes for Bottas to get the seat or even Sam Bird he may be at risk if they decide that the Nicholas Todt managed James Calado is the better bet sponsors wise.

Back
Top Bottom