On this day/old race discussions

Arrows downhill really started when they accepted "investment" from Nigerian Malik Ado Ibrahim.
Shady owner supposedly he wanted to promote black drivers into the sport but I remember reading Artows did not get a single penny or he was nowhere to be seen

Last edited:
He was rolling a tiny little bit, but he did have a history of explosive starts. In his biography it said that when they went off for the warm-up lap he would lay down more rubber in his start position than any other driver which meant he had more grip when the lights went green. This was Brazil 1980.

With the Dutch GP approaching I can still remember watching the last race that was held there prior to last year's return to the circuit (the circuit was very different then from the current revised layout, though a few of the old features remain). That GP took place in 1985 and it was quite an exciting race. During the last 10 laps or so there was an intense battle for the win between teammates. Prost was right on Lauda's tail (they were driving for McLaren at the time) but Niki managed to hold him off for the win. A distance behind them was a similarly intense battle for 3rd between Senna and Alboreto with Senna's Lotus pipping Alboreto's Ferrari for the final podium spot. That was a special podium--it consisted of three drivers who ultimately garnered a huge combined total of 10 WDCs between them. Also of signficance is that this was Niki's last win.

OTD in 1957 f1 raced for the only time at Pescara.
It still holds the record for the long track used in a f1 race.
3B550166-C56C-401C-B0BB-EA5160C7427A.jpeg

On this day in 1997 Marlboro announced it would no longer be sponsoring McLaren, after 23 years with the team.

I understand why cigarette sponsorship had to go but growing up watching the cars track round in mobile fag packet colours is forever etched in my mind. I can't see a McLaren without thinking of it being red and white or black and gold Lotus. Benetton will forever be the original company colours and Ferrari should be a much darker shade of red.

On this day in 1997 Marlboro announced it would no longer be sponsoring McLaren, after 23 years with the team.

It was 1996 as Mclaren release for 1997 was in orange then they came out in West livery and were dubbed Silver Mercedes

I understand why cigarette sponsorship had to go but growing up watching the cars track round in mobile fag packet colours is forever etched in my mind. I can't see a McLaren without thinking of it being red and white or black and gold Lotus. Benetton will forever be the original company colours and Ferrari should be a much darker shade of red.
I think every other car back then appeared with Marlboro livery - Mclaren, Ferrari, Dallara, Onyx

I meant they had the Marlboro sponsor logo on their car
Sorry, being pedantic!

Marlboro were all over so many teams - and gave so much personal sponsorship to drivers in the 1980s... de Cesaris was effectively sacked from Jordan because of the clash between the personal sponsorship (Marlboro), and Jordan's sponsors (Barclay)...

Was tobacco sponsorship a golden era of F1 or the evolution of F1 when they came in the 70's? Yes Marlboro were everywhere on the paddock and De Cesaris was heavily invested by Marlboro despite
his reputation as a serial crasher

Back
Top Bottom