On this day/old race discussions

cider_and_toast i remember that race 1 of few i remember frentzen in pouring rain, which is another thing that wouldnt happen to today it wouldve been red flagged. being excited that schumacher started 19th

then the great race

I am six days late posting this but if you want to see what, IMO is the most beautiful F1 car ever, winning on one of the most daunting tracks, look at the 1967 Belgian Grand Prix. And compare the depth of driver talent back then to today.

in that wet qualifying, that was discussed i didnt realise Bernie was having a dispute with itv which doesnt bode well 18 months into that deal & amazing they lasted another 9 years

Last edited:
F1Brits_90 - there was actually a subsequent rules breach, because Schumacher drove around the circuit again, and crossed the start/finish line on the track and only then did he return to the pits. So - he crossed the finish line twice after the chequered flag.

I remember this race, although I was unable to watch it live (I was in Italy, and saw Italian news reports about the victory for the tifosi)

I remember it well because the penalty was issued on lap 57 and they had 3 laps to serve the penalty . Ferrari waited until final lap. To stop this if they fail to serve the penalty 25 seconds will be added to his time

It was the usual FIA stewarding disaster.

The penalty Schumacher was awarded was a 10 second time penalty issued with 3 laps to go however due to it being issued for an incident that took place before the last 12 laps the team weren't sure of it was a time addition or a stop go. The FIA confirmed later that the intended penalty was a time addition not a stop go.

The penalty was also issued too late under the then rules at the time. It should have been issued within 25 minutes but came after 31.

In a subsequent review the FIA criticised the mistakes by the stewards, who all returned their licences and the time penalty itself was rescinded.

he obviously got both, but i dont know how. because if he won the race it means the penalty hadnt been taken. so it shouldve been added on

but reading about all the details, that was absolute abu dhabi style cock up, & in hindsight its a good thing, Hakkinen won the 1998 world championship because if Schumacher had won in suzuka. well we all know what can happen when stewards interfere with a world championship. & Hakkinen shouldve had a 12pt lead going into that decider

Screenshot_20220728-191541_Facebook.jpg

Tom Walkinshaw had destroyed his legacy as a team boss with the handling of Arrows. I will maintain the sacking of Jos Verstappen and replacing with Frentzen who was sacked by Jordan and then drove for Prost who also were liquidated lead to all the problems .

Plus also Arrows instead of paying $10m to Jaguar for the engines offered the windtunnel as a trade

Tom was also trying to manage Gloucester Rugby Union Club at the same time and it did not end well either

To be fair, Arrows achieved the square root of **** all in 24 years. 1 pole. 9 podiums and 0 fastest laps. Hardly a loss to motorsport.

Tom Walkinshaw had destroyed his legacy as a team boss with the handling of Arrows. I will maintain the sacking of Jos Verstappen and replacing with Frentzen who was sacked by Jordan and then drove for Prost who also were liquidated lead to all the problems .

Plus also Arrows instead of paying $10m to Jaguar for the engines offered the windtunnel as a trade

Tom was also trying to manage Gloucester Rugby Union Club at the same time and it did not end well either
i knew things where going wrong there. but i didnt know about them things. id always assume from a vague memory it was something to with orange pulling out as a title sponsor

also what year was the French GP farce. where they couldnt afford to take part so to avoid a fine from Bernie they crawled around an out lap & the pitted, then went home

Arrows had a fairly quick car but seemed to suffer unduly from reliability, whether this was because of poor components or poor mechanics I was never sure.

i knew things where going wrong there. but i didnt know about them things. id always assume from a vague memory it was something to with orange pulling out as a title sponsor

also what year was the French GP farce. where they couldnt afford to take part so to avoid a fine from Bernie they crawled around an out lap & the pitted, then went home
The sacking of Verstappen was brutal having confirmed for 2002 then hearing Frentzen was available because what happened to Prost. He sacked Verstappen which really angered Orange as they sponsored the team because of Verstappen being Dutch.

I met his cousin on holiday and she told me about his venture into Rugby was disastrous. To be fair he was highly ambitious but he did not have the infrastructure to get there. He tempted John Barnard to join his team but it did not last long

Back
Top Bottom